• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What are people using these days...

Rugby88

I have Ep1c Calendar kunce
I used to be a supplement whore to say the least....just wondering what ppl use these days...

For me its pretty basic:

protein
vit c
zinc
garlic
multi (sometimes)
maca powder
arginine sometimes
creatine mono sometimes

right now -

BN WPC
Hemo rage ultra concentrate pre workout
White flood getting shipped in soon
Samples of BN pre workout

Why specify garlic?

I mix a teaspoon of creatine monohydrate into a small glass of orange juice and smash it back before I jump on the commute to work. That's the only supplement I'm using, and that's because I've found it's helping reduce recovery times.

I used to be on no-xplode 30 min before a workout with a protein shake or steak 10 minutes after lifting, but it's a fair pointless and expensive routine, so I stopped and invested in the mono. Best decision ever.

I also used to take Vit B, multivitamins, all that crap. But I keep hearing from people that it isn't doing me any good, so I stopped.

I smash 2 vita c tablets a day if I'm sick though.

Why specify garlic?

I mix a teaspoon of creatine monohydrate into a small glass of orange juice and smash it back before I jump on the commute to work. That's the only supplement I'm using, and that's because I've found it's helping reduce recovery times.

Not suppose to mix creatine with juice... Something about it breaking down the creatine...

Why specify garlic?

I used to be on no-xplode 30 min before a workout with a protein shake or steak 10 minutes after lifting, but it's a fair pointless and expensive routine, so I stopped and invested in the mono. Best decision ever.

I also used to take Vit B, multivitamins, all that crap. But I keep hearing from people that it isn't doing me any good, so I stopped.

I smash 2 vita c tablets a day if I'm sick though.

Why not? its a supplement I take....

I have stopped using fish oil - heard it was bad for the immune system and I was having a shit time with colds/flu/throat infections...since I stopped not sure if its made a diff or not.

Fat Blaster.......

FYI, Joel Fish Oil is an immune system BOOSTER among other things. Don't be a homo, get back on it!!! :D

srs response to question -

Protein
Creatine
Fish oil

are my staples.

I used to use heaps of shit too. CBF anymore these days. So it is very simple:

- WPC
- Oatmass
- 5 x Fish oil

All of the above are just calories in my diet (easier than eating the equivalent).

I don't even use creatine anymore. Maybe I should lol.

I'm currently using the BN test booster stuff, so the test booster combination, DIM, DAA and ZMA. Depending on results, I might make this a staple. Regardless of results, I'll probably keep the ZMA in there hoever. Or just take straight zinc.

Max what are your thoughts on this?

A Cochrane review on omega 3 fatty acids

I have only read the abstract as i don't have time for the whole thing.

Background:
It has been suggested that omega 3 (W3, n-3 or omega-3) fats from oily fish and plants are beneficial to health.

Objectives:
To assess whether dietary or supplemental omega 3 fatty acids alter total mortality, cardiovascular events or cancers using both RCT and cohort studies.

Search strategy:
Five databases including CENTRAL, MEDLINE and EMBASE were searched to February 2002. No language restrictions were applied. Bibliographies were checked and authors contacted.

Selection criteria:
RCTs were included where omega 3 intake or advice was randomly allocated and unconfounded, and study duration was at least six months. Cohorts were included where a cohort was followed up for at least six months and omega 3 intake estimated.

Data collection and analysis:
Studies were assessed for inclusion, data extracted and quality assessed independently in duplicate. Random effects meta-analysis was performed separately for RCT and cohort data.

Main results:
Forty eight randomised controlled trials (36,913 participants) and 41 cohort analyses were included. Pooled trial results did not show a reduction in the risk of total mortality or combined cardiovascular events in those taking additional omega 3 fats (with significant statistical heterogeneity). Sensitivity analysis, retaining only studies at low risk of bias, reduced heterogeneity and again suggested no significant effect of omega 3 fats.
Restricting analysis to trials increasing fish-based omega 3 fats, or those increasing short chain omega 3s, did not suggest significant effects on mortality or cardiovascular events in either group. Subgroup analysis by dietary advice or supplementation, baseline risk of CVD or omega 3 dose suggested no clear effects of these factors on primary outcomes.
Neither RCTs nor cohorts suggested increased relative risk of cancers with higher omega 3 intake but estimates were imprecise so a clinically important effect could not be excluded.

Authors' conclusions:
It is not clear that dietary or supplemental omega 3 fats alter total mortality, combined cardiovascular events or cancers in people with, or at high risk of, cardiovascular disease or in the general population. There is no evidence we should advise people to stop taking rich sources of omega 3 fats, but further high quality trials are needed to confirm suggestions of a protective effect of omega 3 fats on cardiovascular health.
There is no clear evidence that omega 3 fats differ in effectiveness according to fish or plant sources, dietary or supplemental sources, dose or presence of placebo.

Here is the whole thing for anyone interestedOmega 3 fatty acids for prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease - The Cochrane Library - Hooper - Wiley Online Library

Protein
Fish Oil
Multi (because Max said I could take it and not eat my veggies)

Have greens powder at home which I need to capsule cause it tastes like shit. And occasionally I use Bioflexs Pre Workout for days where I havent had enough sleep.Rare though.

Hey Bazza,

Interesting cochrane review, to say the least. It would be good to have the full text to get a better idea of review methods etc but hey we gotta work with what we got.

All I can say/explain is that when that review was done, the studies available, methods used and subject matter may not have been optimal (or something) to give clear indications on actual out comes, poor outcomes and therefore leading to conflicting results for the most part.

Alan writes a good article looking at the evidence available at the time 2007. - Fish Oil - AlanAragon.com - Fitness Based on Science & Experience

I found a few more recent studies suggesting a much more positive and clear indication of the benefits of Omega 3's.

Here is a more recent review of studies (full text) - Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Cardiovascular Disease: Effects on Risk Factors, Molecular Pathways, and Clinical Events 10.1016/j.jacc.2011.06.063 : Journal of the American College of Cardiology | ScienceDirect.com

I think it gives a great overview and looks at a greater range of studies etc (simply due to it being more recent and more studies completed).

For the most part, if people eat no/little fish in their diet for the low cost of supplementing with fish oils to cover the bases would be wise and for the most part the recent data suggest likewise. If someone is a big fish eater and had a good variety of other omega 3 sources in their diet, I wouldn't worry too much about supplementation. But I don't think I've met that person yet :)

Hey Bazza,

Interesting cochrane review, to say the least. It would be good to have the full text to get a better idea of review methods etc but hey we gotta work with what we got.

It is interesting

There is a full text PDF in the link. 192 pages worth. Fuck that. Lol.

WPI.

I do have Jack3d as well, but really it was an impulse buy and I rarely use it. In my training log, I am taking detailed notes so I am kind of doing my own research on whether it effects my sessions at all.

WPI.

I do have Jack3d as well, but really it was an impulse buy and I rarely use it. In my training log, I am taking detailed notes so I am kind of doing my own research on whether it effects my sessions at all.

Shouldnt u be running dbol Franco?

Frequently
Protein (mainly WPC)

Cyclic
Creatine

Occassional
BCAAs (mainly in mornings before going for a long walk and particularly if a gym session occured the night before)

Last edited:
It is interesting

There is a full text PDF in the link. 192 pages worth. Fuck that. Lol.
Oh ok I must be frigging blind, I didn't notice of the link. Hmm I'll read it sometime.....next year :D Srs I will take a read.

With that said, the update review of studies seems to have a clearer conclusion and certain points towards the seemingly endless positives for health.

Thanks for that Bazza :)