• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What do you consider as being "strong"?

they showed that guy in my AIS oly coaching course.. He's like 4' something but just insanely strong.. amazing stuff..

After having done both courses in OLY lifting i can honestly say these guys have strength and power!!

oly lifting > powerlifting (to oly lift u need to know all powerlifting moves)

What excatly do you mean by that ceffo? Thank you.

Fadi.

When i did the coaching course in oly lifting level 2 with the AIS..

They assumed the following were already known by the course entrants..

such as dead lift/squat/front squat/overhead BEFORE we were to proceeded to learning such lifts as the:
power clean (deadlift followed by a front squat)
clean and jerk (deadlift followed by a front squat then standing overhead with no little arm push)

This was so we could teach clients the various phases in oly lifting.
Without a strong front/back squat as a base u wont get very far in oly lifting?

Last edited:
C'mon guys, strong is relative a relative term and depends who you're talking to and what the subject is.

Squatting 110kg doesn't make you strong on this forum, but where I work that would be considered incredibly strong (if they knew what a proper squat was).

I think you could break down the adult population as follows:

Top 35%: Strong
Middle 30%: Average
Bottom 35%: Weak

To say you have to be in the top .005% of the population (i.e, 2xBW squat) to be considered "strong" is a bit extreme if you ask me, but everyone has their own standards I guess.

And we haven't even gotten onto performance enhancing drugs vs natural strength or supposedly strong men who hit women or are mentally weak.

Lol at people saying strongman lifts are 'functional'

Cause I surely have to pull trucks and lift perfectly spherical stones all the time.

Imo the best test is the deadlift and the strict press.

Lol at people saying strongman lifts are 'functional'

Cause I surely have to pull trucks and lift perfectly spherical stones all the time.

Imo the best test is the deadlift and the strict press.

I agree, off topic - what can you strict press?

strongman type strength is way more practical... transfers over to daily activities better,, obviously nopt pulling a truck and so on,, but if your a labourer, carpenter, bricky, any trade, having strength which is versatile and works on more than one strict plane of movement has got to be heaps better.

but whats strong... olympic lifters are where its at. power, speed and strength.

As a former Olympic weightlifter, I look at the strongman sport in real awe! You'd think I'd be biased towards weightlifters as being the strongest; however I simply cannot go beyond the sheer strength (or rather raw strength) that these strong athletes possess. I can tell you right now that it's a whole lot more difficult to lift an Atlas Stone than it is to perform a clean & jerk!

In the sport of weightlifting, endless hours are spent on perfecting the lifting technique for one purpose and one purpose only: making the lift easier. So for me right now, (until someone can convince me otherwise), the strongest athletes or the sport that calls for an all-rounder of (sheer-strength/endurance/power) would have to go to the strongman sport/athlete.

Fadi.

Generally everyone my weight in my gym is stronger than me (A trend I am working on changing lol), so I tend to look at those who have the most functional strength. I agree with Fadi, strong man athletes would have to be who I consider the strongest of all.

To me its about being good at all the big compound movements. Not the guys who can bench press 140 yet can only squat 80, that is not strong. Strong is someone who can do 30 chin ups, bench 100+, dead 200+, squat 150+ and so on. Also someone who is big and strong, not much point being big if you're not strong in my opinion.

I agree and would add the clean and jerk for mine is a huge measure of ones strength.

As a former Olympic weightlifter, I look at the strongman sport in real awe! You'd think I'd be biased towards weightlifters as being the strongest; however I simply cannot go beyond the sheer strength (or rather raw strength) that these strong athletes possess. I can tell you right now that it's a whole lot more difficult to lift an Atlas Stone than it is to perform a clean & jerk!

In the sport of weightlifting, endless hours are spent on perfecting the lifting technique for one purpose and one purpose only: making the lift easier. So for me right now, (until someone can convince me otherwise), the strongest athletes or the sport that calls for an all-rounder of (sheer-strength/endurance/power) would have to go to the strongman sport/athlete.

Fadi.

I think the three elements used in strongman; strength, speed and aerobic conditioning to my mind represent true strength.