• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

what do you think about Steppers/Rowing machine

kindred

I want to know about each. Do you think they give a good cardio workout? I was thinking of adding the rowing machine to my cardio as for the stepper im just curious what people think about it.

I'm wondering how you are going to use the stepper for any half decent cardio? unless you went crazy stepping on, stepping off, stepping on, stepping off.... but I can't see it being too much other than annoying. Maybe part as an aerobic workout, but its more the aerobic routine thats going to be the effective bit.
Feel free to shoot me down, but I think cardio really needs to get your heart working regardless of your fitness level. So if a stepper works for you great! though I would recommend jogging/running or cycling briskly, or even some thing like Taebo/Boxer-cise (to a good beat it well raise your heart beat and work some of those muscles you don't use as much).

I could see running up and down stairs being quite effective - but its just me, I'm not quite sold on the stepper for cardio (good for calf exercises).

Rowers are the best. Hands down.

It's cardio and resistance. It's whole body. It's the perfect machine. You REALLY have to push yourself on those things. The work gym has a concept 2, I can't get enough of it.

Swimming is a close second.

Running (not on treadmills) is third. The issue with running is the whole injury thing - not going into detail because I'm at work and if you are on this board I'm sure you know about it already.

Running on treadmills doesn't count. If you think it does, you're an idiot.

Looking at rowers last night actually! theres this awesome one from Elite but its lke $800 :( my friend has it and its awesome

The stepper is good to throw into your cardio if your doing a few different things on one particular day. It can quite hard when done right. For cardio, i mainly run, but love throwing in a routine where ill do 15mins on the cross trainer, 10 mins on the stepper, 10 minutes on the rower and finish with 20 mins on the treadmill.

What Fitness First u train at Bree if u dont mind me asking?

I am at the wankiest FF of them all- Bondi Platinum. Even the name sounds pretentious, but plenty of people there who work hard and provide inspiration. Although there does seem to be as lot of fake body parts on show.

Is the platinum one in the Westfield?

Im mainly at Maroubra, but get to Randwick and Darlinghurst sometimes.

Yep, in the Westfield. Have been to Darlinghurst, Kings X and George St before it was refurbed. I can't deal with any gyms in the City, people just fight over machines, etc. like their time is more important than anyone else's. In Kings Cross and DH basically left alone- wrong sex to attract any attention!

Yep, in the Westfield. Have been to Darlinghurst, Kings X and George St before it was refurbed. I can't deal with any gyms in the City, people just fight over machines, etc. like their time is more important than anyone else's. In Kings Cross and DH basically left alone- wrong sex to attract any attention!

Funny u mention that, i trained at Darlinghirst today and we had a laugh because we were checking out this hot girl and noticed about 3 guy's checking us out at the same time.

Is that for real?

Ive trained there once but didnt like it, and i definately wont be going back now.

V true. Happened to one of the trainers at Platinum. He freaked and has never gone back. Fair enough- have had many people of the same sex attempt to pick me up, but think someone walking into the shower would be the breaking point.

Yeh i can handle a guy being interested as long as he respects that im not gay when i tell him. I go out in Newtown a bit and have a gay friend, so a bit of interest has been shown over the years, and it hasnt bothered me as my gay friend usually has a go at them and says, "fook off, if he was like that i'd be in there". Pretty funny my gay mate, that was until he sent me a txt at 2am one night saying he wanted to see me naked, lol. That was going too far.

And why is this?

Was watching the people last night while I was doing cardio and the ones that were just strolling thru were the treadmillists. Only like 2 of them had any sweat and thats cause they were doing stationary bike before. Not that being sweaty is a good indication they may have been really fit but i doubt it. The speeds they were going was slower than walking for the most part. Walking is a good exercise but you cant reall compare walking on a tread mill and walking outside. The treadmill doesnt curve or twist or decline and the incline is very poor (walking uphills, downhills, turning corners).