• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What to eat BEFORE and AFTER a weight training workout

N-J-T

What are some of the best things to eat at these times, (i am trying to gain muscle without gaining fat)

Last edited:
I have Dates , 2/3 as im walking out the door.

As for pre/post workout foods, if your diets in good shape im a firm believer you dont need pre/post meals.

Its alittle like if people worried about wot they ate between new years eve and xmas , they wouldnt be so stressed about wot they ate between xmas and new years eve...........right???

I have Dates , 2/3 as im walking out the door.

As for pre/post workout foods, if your diets in good shape im a firm believer you dont need pre/post meals.

Its alittle like if people worried about wot they ate between new years eve and xmas , they wouldnt be so stressed about wot they ate between xmas and new years eve...........right???

Good analogy chris

Well if you have a diet set out, you are best to put your carb meals around your workout times. For me that means I usually have dinner right after gym, with rice or pasta and meat.

Having something before works for some people, but if your workouts are later in the day, you should have a couple of meals in you already, so something fast acting like a protein drink or a banana for a little boost if you feel you need it.

Last edited:
What are some of the best things to eat at these times, (i am trying to gain muscle without gaining fat)

Okay, about 3 1/2 months ago, you turned 16. You say that your aim is to gain muscle without gaining fat. You're 57kg at a height of 170cm (and still growing). Based on what I know about you so far, you have created more questions in my head than I have answers for!

First of all you have to understand what is needed for one to gain weight (that = muscle + fat) and not just muscle. What is needed here is a storage hormone and the one that is designed for this task is called insulin; it's a storage hormone you see, and in my opinion the most anabolic hormone of them all. At least with this powerhouse of a hormone, you have some way of manipulating it, which can't be said about testosterone (known as the granddaddy of anabolics to some).

Your training as well as the timing and the type of food you’re eating would determine the ratio of fat to muscle gain you would eventually achieve. Please keep that in mind next time you think gain or loss.

Now that I've giving you the clues as to what is needed to gain muscle and minimise fat, can you work out the best (or most appropriate) food to ingest around training time? Go for it...

PS: I've already given the answer in one of my eating plans (under the nutrition section). All the best.

Fadi.