• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What's the point in bulking

sari96

Banned
Why bulk, having "the" body under fat then leaning down when you can keep lean building the body up without taking longer leaning down!?:confused:

Because it is stupidly hard to put on muscle and not fat at the same time.

Your calorie/macro intake needs to be about 99% spot on.

Much easier to stuff your face for a few months, get big, then eat right for a couple of months and strip off the fat.

That and some of us (like me) are on a permanent (if a little slow) bulk

Because to gain muscle you generally need a calorie surplus. It can be very hard to calculate the exact amount of food/macros you need to grow and not gain fat. So most eat enough food to get bigger muscles and live with the small amount of extra fat.

Then there's the lazy bulk where people just lift heavy and eat everything in sight. Not advisable.

Much easier to stuff your face for a few months, get big, then eat right for a couple of months and strip off the fat.

God bless u graham for having the spare time to answer questions!!
Graham for mod

Bulk up gain 10kg, do a cut, you now have 7kg more muscle than you did before. Then bulk up.. keeps going till you get over 9000

After beginner gains iv'e struggled to increase any strength and size without fat gain. I always eat clean, just when gaining i add carbs brekky, post workout and drink some milk through the day. Then will cut, losing the carbs and milk.
I wish i could gain and stay lean but i just can't crack it.

Muscle Hypertrophy difference (assuming the person accurately knows their maintenance caloric intake) between someone with a 10% calorie surplus compared to someone with a 20-25% calorie surplus = Nothing.

Fat gain difference between the same equation = Much more fat gain in the higher surplus (that should be common sense).

Training adaptation and progression between the two = Nothing.

If you are going to do a bulk, IMO there is no need for a 20%+ surplus as it will make leaning up that little bit harder and it offers no extra benefit.

Muscle Hypertrophy difference (assuming the person accurately knows their maintenance caloric intake) between someone with a 10% calorie surplus compared to someone with a 20-25% calorie surplus = Nothing.

Fat gain difference between the same equation = Much more fat gain in the higher surplus (that should be common sense).

Training adaptation and progression between the two = Nothing.

If you are going to do a bulk, IMO there is no need for a 20%+ surplus as it will make leaning up that little bit harder and it offers no extra benefit.

Would you say that over the course of a whole week? As in someone who cycles cals based on training days +10% for the whole week would be advisable. (not per day I mean)

Does anyone know the general formula in calvulatimg your calorie。Itried multiple calculatrs and got varying results from 2100-2800....

Easiest way just take the average of them and start at that.

Average = 2450.

Consume that caloric intake for 2-3 weeks and track your progress and then make the necessary adjustments after that time.

FYI, the 'calculators' ESTIMATED my calorie requirements for maintenance as 3000. It ended up actually being closer to 3400 in actual fact. Just remember, they are only estimates and not 100% accurate etc. They just give you a starting point to work from.

Last edited:
Generally first thing in the morning but with that said just be consistent with it. Weight on the same time on the same day after the same routine etc. IMO don't weigh weekly, weigh yourself fortnightly :)

Orighty :D Also one last thing LOL, your knowledge has just to led
to a overflow of questions on my behalf. With a 10%+ mainteance, how much weight would one expect to gain in a week?