• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

What's your best advice for someone deciding to take up running?

Ease into it, don't go all out first up. Shins (ankles, knees etc) usually start to play up if you dramatically increase your running intensity.

Get good shoes. And I mean ones that are suited to your foot/step not just the most expensive

Learn to run on your forefoot. It takes a while to build strength in your feet/ankles up, but it's worth it.

Much easier on your joints, more efficient use of energy, and if you start to tread on a rock or something you can stop most of the downward force.

Gonna take up jogging/running in the evenings now its starting to cool down here in Mackay, got a very comfortable pair of shoes for it too

I've thought about doing some running to get fit for tough mudder type events but I find it so boring. Maybe I should just start going to rugby training, shin splints are fun anyway.

Firstly you have to question why exactly they want to be running and then what type of distance they are looking at. Unless it is for the actual sport of long distance running where you obviously need to put in the time running to increase your endurance and running technique, there are far better ways to increase cardiovascular health, like weight training, interval training etc

Really it's no different than any other type of working out; the more you do it, the better you'll get at it. Running is a bit of an extreme though. You will build it up relatively quickly, but you'll also lose it fast if you don't keep it up.

I've never been a runner, but last year I wanted to the do the City-Bay Run (12km) finally after putting it off for years. 5 weeks before I started jogging on the treadmill twice a week. Just 30 minutes at a time. I would run as far as I could, slow it down to a walk for a break, and then finish the 30 minutes. Every week I tried to hold off on the break for an extra minute or 2. After repeating this for 5 weeks, I was about to run for 40 minutes without a break. However this was still only half the distance of the City-Bay Run. However on game day, I was able to dig deep and complete the 12kms with no breaks. Being out in the open and competing against others gives you extra drive you don't have on a treadmill.

Actually, the treadmill can be the best and worst thing about running. It's great at controlling your progress and being able to exactly monitor it. But it's incredibly boring and makes working out a chore. I found when training, 75% of the challenge was in my mind. For example, you jump on the treadmill, get up to speed and you're planning to run for 30 minutes. After 2-3 minutes you're already breathing heavy and working up a sweet, then you try to figure out how you can keep it up for the next 27 minutes. At the time it seems impossible. However after about 10 minutes you get into a groove and can tune everything out.

So if you're struggling with running without breaks, grit your teeth and do at least 10 minutes. After this amount of time you seem to relax into it.

As for general tips; get good shoes, and good socks while you're at it. I struggled with blisters for a while and after researching a bit, socks play a big part in your skin rubbing against your shoe. Get nice thick soft socks.

Last edited: