• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

When should you inroduce isolation exercises to your routine?

Never. I have yet to see conclusive evidence that they are required.
They are more for variety's sake rather than a necessity.

Why not?
Maybe if you were cgping to compete one day I'd say yes but for now compounds for you are all you need.

My understanding was that it is good to introduce isolation exercises when you move from a beginner to intermediate. Beginner being someone who trains three times a week, with each day training all muscle groups (bench, squats, arms), to intermediate where you concentrate on one area per work out 3-4 times a week (arms one day, chest/back next day, legs/shoulders the next etc).

So when you go intermediate, you want to hit a muscle group 3 or 4 times a session. In which case you will need to add isolation exercises. Example: to hit the chest you would do a bench press, incline dumbbell press and then dumbbell flyes (the last exercise being an isolation).

hmmm :confused: i always use isolation exercises to end a workout. usually because it is at the end of the workout the weight is lighter and i concentrate on form
for example: leg press, dead lifts, squats and then quad curls

sorry mate i meant leg extensions the action just reminds me of a curl its a old habit of mine to call them quad curls