• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Where did you start? Where are you now? What were your biggest hurdles? How did you o

Started lifting weights when I was a teen as a means of training for footy. Hit my early 20s and decided that booze, drugs and parties were a better option. Sorted my shit out but blew up and ended up at over 100kg's (I am only 170cm). 5 years ago my 1st daughter was born and I started a quest to get fit again. Got back into lifting around 15 months ago. Currently sitting around 78kg and family aside I have never been more committed to anything in my life. Lifting is life long for me now!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Nice Camo - so good to hear that things are on track for you.

For me, I was 62kg at the end of high school in 2004. I probably was about 64-66kg a year later when I started weights. 7 years later, I am now 87.5kg, despite a bout of pancreatitis at the end of 2009 (lost a bit of weight) and then in April 2012 found out I had colitis (lost 12kg in 6 weeks). I am now on track for getting up over 90kg, before leaning out at a good weight that I can maintain/slowly improve over time without putting my health at risk.

In the last year or so, I have been playing around with upper/lower (or upper/lower body part splits eg upper, lower, push, lower, pull), rather than a strict BB split. This seems to be working well. I have never trained full body 3x/wk.

Anyway, I will try update with some timeline photos if I can find some.

I started my journey two years ago when I topped the scales at 160kg. I woke up one morning and said fuck it I'm going to get fit. Two years later I'm 103kg and on the verge of having my "sick pack" which I once thought was impossible.

Started at age 19 @ 57kg in 1991.
Trained solid for 2-3 and got up to about 80-85. The next 10 years were a bit of a waste training on and off. I peaked in 2000 at 112kg in an attempt to gain as much muscle as possible.
The last 5 years have been fairly consistent. Stay under 100 these days. Ideal weight is around 90-93

I started at 18 as a weak fat 100kg, got a heavy manual job and dropped to 82kg quite quickly with diet+work+ following the "body for life" book. For 4-5years achieved fuck all strength wise but hovered around 85-90kg and reasonably muscular.. Hurt my back, got a sedentary job and was up to 130kg mid last year when I started doing "boxing for fitness" classes and went down to 112kg.

Earlier this year started lifting again, this time focussed on strength. Hovering 116-120kg atm but dont care about weight in the slightest, seeing slow recomp as strength creeps up. When I can deadlift 200, squat 150 and bench 120 then ill look properly at losing the gut

edit: forgot to mention, had a month off due to surgery earlier this year which led to me eating shit and going from 112 back up to 124

Last edited:
Don't wanna sound like a kunce but how can you be happy hovering around 120?
Drop the weight first then get stronger... Yeah???

Sent from my iPod touch from Pluto

My fascination with bodybuilding started as far back as I can remember. I was always the scrawny geek. Totally NOT sporty or athletic and way too embarrassed to admit to secretly wanting to be a muscle monster. Also too self conscious of my wimpy physique to set foot in a gym to do something about it. Wasted 20 years building psychological barriers for myself so just starting to train was the biggest hurdle that I had to overcome.

By mid 30s I was 76kg and carrying 15kg more fat than I had in my 20s. I found myself a gym bud who was willing to hold my hand. I gritted my teeth and just blocked any apprehension and self consciousness out of my mind.

I soon got past all the irrational fears and came to love it. 4 years later I'm back to being around 75kg but and as lean as I was in my 20s and a damn lot stronger. I'm certainly no match for the strong guys I see at my gym and my bod still isn't anything to write home about - I'd still be self conscious about taking my shirt off in public!! But I've come a long way and I'm happy with what I've been able to achieve so far.

Walked into a gym in Sep 1990, was going to get massive and ripped for x-mass. 23 yrs later I'm still trying.
Started at 75kg, got to 110kg, now hover around the low 100 mark.
Took some time off when I got married, bout 1 yr, then another for when my kids were born, another when I changed jobs and another when focused on motox.
My legs and biceps were the main challenge, hence have trained BB style rathe than PL style, lots of triceps and curls to fill In my weak spots.
Now it's part of my life.

Don't wanna sound like a kunce but how can you be happy hovering around 120?
Drop the weight first then get stronger... Yeah???

Sent from my iPod touch from Pluto

Nah not kuncey lol honest and understandable question :p

Weight honestly doesn't interest/bother me in the slightest.. Im not in this to look pretty :)P ). Im in this to get strong, and as the strength is going up im seeing the fat slowly reduce so im happy with that.

That doesn't mean I intend to let myself get any fatter than I am now, I dont want the health implications associated with being a fat bastard, its just not my focus.

Started training when I was 16. Had no idea whatsoever then I found Ausbb which helped me think about my training a little more than a lot of brainless bros my age. Started strength training, my goal at first was to just put on size (75kg at the time), being naive and brainwashed by commercial gyms it took me a little while to come around to believing that I could put on size from doing less volume, less exercises, proper technique and progressively more weight, after that I put on a lot of size, got to 90kg in my first year.

Since then, i've competed in the beginner PL comps at PTC sydney, hit PBs of 150kg squat, 180 DL and 85x5 for bench. Currently, i've been training muay thai since the start of the year, i'm now planning to drop some weight and fight next year for the first time. A lot of work i've been doing lately to work on the basics of proper technique and conditioning. I think that focusing on basics and technique in the weights room has really helped me with focusing on the basics in muay thai. Can't wait to see what next year holds

Started lifting a few weights with mates when I was 16/17 then stopped when I hit uni (while my mates joined the military) , ate lots and hit 140kg by around 24. Decided that needed to be fixed, hit the gym and ate sensibly for about 3.5 months and dropped to 95kg. Life caught up with me and I varied between 90 and 110 lifting off and on over most of a decade. Did a bit of lifting last year, really just maintaining my weight and some strength increases, stocked myself a home gym and planning to improve the regularity and the diet has already started to improve. About 110kg at present (35).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I started training cause I wanted to go from fatty to jacked & juicy. Achieved that in a little over 2 years, last 5 or 6 years I battle extreme devotion with bouts of no training at all cause I couldn't be fucked.

Carry some size but i'm a bit of a chubs, not fat but no abs.

I wish some **** would hit me with a cattle prod to get my arse off the couch of an evening and get in the gym at the moment. Zip motivation, I couldn't be fucked really.

I started training cause I wanted to go from fatty to jacked & juicy. Achieved that in a little over 2 years, last 5 or 6 years I battle extreme devotion with bouts of no training at all cause I couldn't be fucked.

Carry some size but i'm a bit of a chubs, not fat but no abs.

I wish some **** would hit me with a cattle prod to get my arse off the couch of an evening and get in the gym at the moment. Zip motivation, I couldn't be fucked really.
I think everybody (well most) go through stages of "lack of motivation", in all facets of life.
Something you must come to terms with. I think if you have "scheduled" breaks it may keep the motivation up.
having a break when you don't want it is hard though, but you'll be chomping at the bit to get back into it.