• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Whey Protein. Is it all its cracked up to be?

S

Stiffy

You hear it occasionally that Whey Protein is garbage. That's it is just the waste of cheese production and a waste of money.

"The effects of whey protein supplementation on muscle growth in response to resistance training are debatable. One study demonstrated some increase in lean body mass and strength in men supplementing whey protein vs. no supplementation,[SUP][14][/SUP] while another study found greater increases in strength in a group supplementing whey compared to another group supplementing casein, which could be evidence of whey protein's superior amino acid profile.[SUP][15][/SUP] However, other research exists that show little to no benefit of whey protein supplementation. The authors of one study concluded that "young adults who supplement with protein during a structured resistance training program experience minimal beneficial effects in lean tissue mass and strength,",[SUP][16][/SUP] although it did not control for other sources of protein in the participant's diets. The timing of protein supplement ingestion may not have any significant effects on strength, power, or body-composition.[SUP][17][/SUP] A study of elderly men found supplementation with whey protein after exercise improved muscle protein synthesis.[SUP][18][/SUP]
Scientific evidence has shown that proteins high in essential amino acids (EAA), branched chain amino acids (BCAA), and particularly leucine (Leu) are associated with increased muscle protein synthesis, weight loss, body fat loss, and decreased plasma insulin and triglyceride pro-file. [SUP][19][/SUP] Whey protein and leucine are beneficial for stimulation of acute muscle protein synthesis in older adults."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey_protein

Is Whey Protein any good?

I don't think it is.

you'll get more bodybuilding nutrients from a plate full of vegetables.

The only supplements (IMO) that will cause direct (fast) growth are the illegal ones.

the legal, safe and tried and tested are;

1. Weight training (strength training) call it what you like.
2. Food, I don't class "protien powder" as that
3. Sleep

Is Whey Protein any good?

It's a how long is a piece of string question.

If you are short of protein then yes it would be great, but if your protein intake is adequate then no there is no need for it.

I have not had any protein shakes for ages and it has made no difference, but then again I eat a high protein diet anyway.

At the end of the day it's protein, it's food, not steroids, so there will be no magical gains from having it, but there will be a lack of gains if you do not have an adequate supply of protein to fuel your muscle growth.

Yep, I've had the same philosophy as you [MENTION=8428]Big Mick[/MENTION]; as I prefer to have 3 meals per day and the odd protein shake or 2. I'm just wondering if those who are against Whey are also saying that its inferior protein due to all the processing etc.

I think its a pretty safe bet that 150 grams of protein from lean meat is a lot better than 150 grams of protein from whey, its just that too much meat has its shortcomings as well.

Like the others said. Its just protein. If you are deficient then beneficial. If not, it's not. The quality of whey is fine.

Its OK when you're strapped for time and need to eat, smack a shake down and keep going, but its no magic, if you have time to eat all your meals, wouldnt need the overpriced shit at all.

Its OK when you're strapped for time and need to eat, smack a shake down and keep going, but its no magic, if you have time to eat all your meals, wouldnt need the overpriced shit at all.

Per gram of protein whey is cheap.

For a cheap convenient source of protein it's great. Will it affect your ability to reach goals? Doubt it. I don't like training with much food in my stomach, so for me it's a hit of protein that won't cause discomfort before training in the morning.

Yep, I've had the same philosophy as you @Big Mick ; as I prefer to have 3 meals per day and the odd protein shake or 2. I'm just wondering if those who are against Whey are also saying that its inferior protein due to all the processing etc.

I have used protein powder more so when dieting to meet my protein needs while on low calories, with a lower food intake, I used to swear by a shake before bed when training hard, as I used to wake up hungry in the middle of the night if I did not have one, but not training that hard lately so have not had a shake in about 4 or 5 months.

Still have about 3 or 4 kg of WPC I will probably use up soon, when I up my training volume and try and diet down a bit.

I think its a pretty safe bet that 150 grams of protein from lean meat is a lot better than 150 grams of protein from whey, its just that too much meat has its shortcomings as well.

Really I don't think the body knows the difference or cares where the protein comes from, might actually be easier to digest the whey than steak, but I really have no idea only guessing.

I think whey protein is probably the cheapest source of protein out there per gram of actual protein, that's why so many people use it.

Per gram of protein whey is cheap.

^^^^^ This.

Last edited:
[MENTION=8428]Big Mick[/MENTION]; yep that's what I thought also. Whey is easier on digestion and its more convenient.

Yeah, gram for gram it's cheap, but you are comparing to real food, like fish.
when I grab a bag for $150, I can't help thinking, it's a lot for powder shit.

Yeah, gram for gram it's cheap, but you are comparing to real food, like fish.
when I grab a bag for $150, I can't help thinking, it's a lot for powder shit.

Whey is a real food but it tastes like shit and I prefer eating my food to drinking it. I hate protein powder and just use it as a cheap way to up the protein some days.

food is anything with nutrients, some less some more, but the protien powders you buy of the shelf is not a replacement, hell, I have trouble calling it a food.

But it tastes good so we buy it.
and people make money.