• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Which last peices of equipment to get

So, my home gym is almost complete for now. It has the following items

Cheap cable crossover
Force usa Commercial rack
Body solid lever squat
Commercial leg ext (needs new cable)
Commercial lying leg curl
Dip bars
Pec delt machine
Diverging arm seated row
Commercial spin bike
Incline bench, flat bench
Iron master adjustable dumbbells
Preacher Curl
Iron edge GHR
A range of kettlebells, sandbags etc
Swiss bar, ABC powerbar
Rings, power bands, power ropes
Cheap torsornator clone

I'm planning to get a seated calf (recommendations for someone with long legs and fairly large quads would be great, thinking about body solid)

For the last spot in my gym should I get a 45 degree leg press?... Or a lat pulldown and maybe a chest press?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

If you got the 45 deg leg press you could always do a calf press on this and with the room saved on the seated calf get the lat pull as well?

Either way thats an immpressive setup....

The plates needed for a leg press have always put me off considering them. You'll need a stack of 20s that you couldn't jump over and it almost costs more than the leg press.

If you're looking at a lat pulldown, I'd go for a plate loaded lever setup rather than a cable. Plenty on Grays fitness to look at.

Hammer Strength do a combination high row/ incline press I think. It's ages since I looked at them. I found a gym that had one and tested it out. It might give you a couple of options in the one spot.

I've got 360kg of 25's and 20's so that's pretty much covered... But it looks like a solid leg press starts at 2k.. I've used one of those hammer strength dual machines before, pretty decent machine, big footprint though. The calves are actually a big reason to get the leg press, I quite enjoy leg press calf raises. But I'm struggling to get the same effect from anything as seated cable rows...

If you got the 45 deg leg press you could always do a calf press on this and with the room saved on the seated calf get the lat pull as well?

Either way thats an immpressive setup....

Calves on the leg press done with knees straight and seated calf raise are two different exercises and cannot be interchanged. They train 2 different muscles.

Calves on the leg press done with knees straight and seated calf raise are two different exercises and cannot be interchanged. They train 2 different muscles.

Dont really want to hijack the thread, but interested in these comments, can you explain a little further?

Dont really want to hijack the thread, but interested in these comments, can you explain a little further?

The leg in the straight position hits the gastrocnemius muscle of the calf (standing calf raises, donkey calf raises, toe presses on leg press. The knee in the bent position works the soleus muscle of the calf (seated calf raises).

I would think a decent lat pulldown would be fairly useful as you seem to have pretty much all major muscle groups covered.

I bought a decent commercial calf raise machine for about 550 I think. I tried (and sold) a Force USA one as I hated it and ended up going for a commercial one. I am a big believer of buying decent grade equipment as if it feels nice to use, you are more likely to keep using it.

I tossed up decisions between a 45deg leg press and a commercial squat press, of which I ended up getting the squat press for about 2k. Its a solid piece and is rated for 400odd kgs. I`ve only ever gone to about 320 so far and find it hits the quads nicely.

As you said, the trouble with any leg press is the sheer amount of weight needed to use.

I know hammer strength (and gym direct) to a nice loking lever pulldown/chest press machine but I guess the footprint would be massive.

If you get a pin loaded pulldown you can always put different handles on it to mix it up a bit. With a lever pulldown you are stuck with that exercise basically.

I picked up a commercial Cybex 250lb stack pulldown for 400 bucks on Gumtree so there are plenty to be had. It`s just a matter of time and location.

Either way your gym looks awesome buddy. Do you have any new updated pics with the leg curl, leg ext and GHR.

Are you using the GHR to its max potential or mostly doing back hypers etc?

Mostly hypers to be honest, but I've done some glute ham raises, the rollers do make it easier at the top which is a consideration in terms of getting maximum value from the machine , I can get out about 5 reps per set and my hamstrings aren't all that.. , I actually feel the exercise most on the eccentric when lowering.

Not much work this week as I strained a back muscle moving 200kg odd of leg curl machine (150kg stack)... Coming right though

Gettingbigger : you used to have the ironmaster cable tower didn't you?

Yeah buddy and very good it was too. I ended up selling it because I got the commercial Cybex pulldown but at the cost of loosing the seated row option. Any questions on it let me know bud :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much difference (other than being selectorised) are you finding with the commercial unit?

I'm thinking I could stow one easily enough

The pin loaded one is generally more stable and heavy duty. It feels no smoother than the IM one was though, so in terms of its operation there is very little to split the two. I was able to load up around 110kgs on the IM one for seated rows and never felt worried that the cable or pulleys would fail.

The IM one requires a larger footprint though as in order to use the pulldown you have to attach it to the bench for stability.

On the plus side you get a second bench so you could possibly sell one of your others to re-coup some of the cost?

Did some playing with space and my trap bar and lever squat, leg press isn't going to make the cut, lat pulldown and low row for the win, ideally selectorised 120kg stack..

Seated calf as well, body solid unless I find a well priced 2nd hand Commercial

Semi - Commercial upright exercise bike, force usa seated leg curl + ext, and a few other old bits to be on ebay soon

Did some playing with space and my trap bar and lever squat, leg press isn't going to make the cut, lat pulldown and low row for the win, ideally selectorised 120kg stack..

Seated calf as well, body solid unless I find a well priced 2nd hand Commercial

Semi - Commercial upright exercise bike, force usa seated leg curl + ext, and a few other old bits to be on ebay soon

I picked up my seated calf which as far as I know and can see/feel is commercial for about $550 which is the same price as the body solid one I believe. There is a pic on the show your home gym thread if it helps.