• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why are you not getting stronger?

So with the response from the first article, I'm happy to do a few more.

What is it that is holding back your strength gains?

Programming? Dedication? Injury?

Post away, and Ill start building a few more articles.

For me at the moment it is footy. Cant do much about that but I am noticing I play on saturday and my strength is rooted until about Wed / Thur.

Also working around a few injuries.

As posted elsewhere, my biggest mistake is consistency. Training for 6 months stints, making progress, then with kids, job, renos whatever busyness life brings up, a missed week turns into a month, then a few months. I've learnt the hard way that if you have a layoff, it takes about as much time to get back to previous strength levels as the length of the layoff. I recently had five months away from lifting and have been back it about a month....I'm only up to about 75% of my previous strength levels, and I reckon its going to take about 2 months more to get there again. The first sessions back I was squatting 50kg and getting bad DOMS. It was demoralising.

I think I read a comment of yours recently where you said the key is consistency. I wholeheartedly agree.

Injury kicked my butt the last month but in just over 9 weeks my deads and squats went up significantly.
Deads went from 90kgs to 110kgs
Squats 55kg ATG to 90kgs wrapped/77.5kgs raw.
Bench from 40kgs to 50kgs.

I think following my program to a T helped alot, as well as constant assessment by my Super Coach, and the fact he sets a weight and says "now lift it".
Being one of the strongest girls in PTC Sydney you really want to inspire others to follow.
Consistency is the key. And not being scared of the weight.

If anything is holding me back, its the distance i live from PTC and the inability to access the equipment needed at FF due to the "Bro's". Training at home doesnt inspire me.

I keep having to miss workouts due to work commitments. This week for example I am unablet to attend any regular gym sessions at the club, which means I need to go to a regular gym and do general stuff, squats, presses, deadlifts, snatch/clean pulls....

Stress...

...and the impact this has on my consistency and work ethic.

I am currently in a full on blue with my builder in Sydney. They're threatening to walk off the job and demanding $100K more to complete. I've engagaed a project manager and have been talking to barristers. I can't sleep and feel crook all the time.

I want to lift, I know what I need to do, I even think my programming is OK and I've got my diet down pat. But I just can't bring myself to do everything I need to at present. I get home and just want to vomit.

So, for now, lifts aren't progressing. It takes all my mental effort just to check in at AusBB every now and again and check on others. My head is elsewhere and I've lost the lifting plot for now.

In short, life got in the way.

Cheers,
Mike

I am currently in a full on blue with my builder in Sydney. They're threatening to walk off the job and demanding $100K more to complete. I've engagaed a project manager and have been talking to barristers. I can't sleep and feel crook all the time.

I'm sorry to hear that mate!!

Stress...

I want to lift, I know what I need to do, I even think my programming is OK and I've got my diet down pat. But I just can't bring myself to do everything I need to at present. I get home and just want to vomit.

So, for now, lifts aren't progressing. It takes all my mental effort just to check in at AusBB every now and again and check on others. My head is elsewhere and I've lost the lifting plot for now.

Cheers,
Mike

Oh Mike :(

I was wondering where you'd been! How awful! Life sometimes does definitely get in the way. Maybe 'lifting' at least sometimes and at some level would help you with the stress you're feeling?

The stress your feeling is manifesting itself in very physical ways and a general sense of unwellness. This is not good. So obviously the pressure you feel must be immense.

You're never given a cross, that's too much to bare Mike. Remember that.
And amidst the bullshit of the builder and your discussions with barristers and overseeing your business, find time, no - make time, for yourself.

Be selfish.
Give yourself time to decompress and exhale and unravel the crap of your day.
Whether it's lifting, or meditating, reading, or riding a bike, or just being completely alone....you need that time. For you.

I have missed you!!
If there's anything I can do, let me know? I'm only a hop across the river :)

Sticky, an article on training and stress would be excellent?
Or rather how training assists in reducing stress levels?

And I'd also be keen to hear your views on lifting around training and playing schedules for other sports?

I know Bazza is not alone in playing alternate sports and the recovery time seems to be an issue for many of the lads on the forum. Some kind of write up on lifting around alternate sports/athletic pursuits and adequate recovery and rest etc would also be so great.

For me it's an alternating combo of work stress and lack of sleep along with rehabbing old injuries that have left my left shoulder/hip/ankle weaker than my right side.

Interesting point you make, Deep ... don't be afraid of the weight.
I learned that lesson last week in my DL session. When it got above 70kg I went into panic mode.

I'm sorry to hear that mate!!

Thanks mate, much appreciated. I'm not giving up, just giving it some time. I look forward to the day when I can step back from all my "projects" and just focus on me for a bit. Wouldn't it be great to be 20-something and have no other care than what you diet is like and how your lifts are progressing in each session you've "locked" into your diary. Young blokes take note: do it now, life has a habit of getting in the way as you get older.

Oh Mike :(

I was wondering where you'd been! How awful! Life sometimes does definitely get in the way. Maybe 'lifting' at least sometimes and at some level would help you with the stress you're feeling?

Hi gorgeous. Did I mention that you're the best thing that's happened to AusBB since it kicked off! ;)

I'm hanging in there, and I don't want to derail Scott's thread. He's a dead set jet and I love reading his stuff and watching his progress. Hard to believe that he and I were almost the same weight and lifts at one stage. He had a little on me, but not that much but now he's blown me out of the water. So if anyone's qualified to help explain what it takes to keep your lifts progressing then its Scott. I' all ears.

But until I can get my personal shit together, my physiology won't be any good for making gains. I do keep ticking away at it. I went once last week for bench and will be back again tonight. I'm trying to edge back up to twice a week as I miss my deads. Squats are parked for now but hopefully I can turn them back on one day and get them moving up again once I rebuild my base to where it was.

Lifting isn't a sprint, its a marathon. I've been at this for 20 years and I haven't been beaten yet. I've lost the odd battle, and am taking a hammering right now, but the war is mine to win. I still PB'd bench not long ago and last week pushed out my 105kg programme no worries. I'm not out for the count just yet.

Thanks for the heartfelt remarks, you're a star.

Cheers,
Mike

Stress...

Cheers,
Mike

Do something mike, it will help with your stress.
I'm sorry to read about your strife, bloody builders.

Thanks mate, much appreciated. I'm not giving up, just giving it some time. I look forward to the day when I can step back from all my "projects" and just focus on me for a bit. Wouldn't it be great to be 20-something and have no other care than what you diet is like and how your lifts are progressing in each session you've "locked" into your diary. Young blokes take note: do it now, life has a habit of getting in the way as you get older.

Hi gorgeous. Did I mention that you're the best thing that's happened to AusBB since it kicked off! ;)

I'm hanging in there, and I don't want to derail Scott's thread. He's a dead set jet and I love reading his stuff and watching his progress. Hard to believe that he and I were almost the same weight and lifts at one stage. He had a little on me, but not that much but now he's blown me out of the water. So if anyone's qualified to help explain what it takes to keep your lifts progressing then its Scott. I' all ears.

But until I can get my personal shit together, my physiology won't be any good for making gains. I do keep ticking away at it. I went once last week for bench and will be back again tonight. I'm trying to edge back up to twice a week as I miss my deads. Squats are parked for now but hopefully I can turn them back on one day and get them moving up again once I rebuild my base to where it was.

Lifting isn't a sprint, its a marathon. I've been at this for 20 years and I haven't been beaten yet. I've lost the odd battle, and am taking a hammering right now, but the war is mine to win. I still PB'd bench not long ago and last week pushed out my 105kg programme no worries. I'm not out for the count just yet.

Thanks for the heartfelt remarks, you're a star.

Cheers,
Mike

I remember your PB! Was THRILLED for you too damnit! ;)

Glad you're still making some time for it Mike. And sometimes, making time and getting it done, is the most important thing. The gains will come, but for now, concentrate on you.

So happy to see you posting again Mr and as always, great attitude :)

My ego tends to ruin it for me. Working out with mates and wants to go further and further lead me to wrist injuries. Have not done anything for 3 weeks :( tough lesson learnt

Mainly work and luck of sleep.
An old motorbike shoulder injury also it doesn't help(no excuse though)
Trying to make the time for myself though is really important but without neglecting the family, family comes first.
There is also the fear of getting injured as i have a mortgage to pay too so yeah:mad:

I really see where Mike is coming from as well so keep up the good work mate and look after yourself,everything else will take care of itself!

I can really relate to your posts broncs and Mike.

If your child or partner gets sick, you have to take up the slack and do what needs to be done. I had a period when my son and wife were both out of action for 2 weeks with bad tonsilitis. I had to run the house and work full time. The other week I worked 90 hours. Good luck trying to train when you work from 8am to 2am.

I definitely want to echo Mike's advice to younger trainers take advantage of their freedoms while they can.

But for those that have a lot to juggle, I think its important to think about ways to train smartly around these commitments. While I believe linear periodisation is a very effective way to train, I've learnt it doesn't work for me and my lifestyle - because if I miss training sessions at key parts of the cycle, that's it - you get a very pronounced detraining effect and the whole cycle is ruined.

I reckon I'm almost better off training closer to my maxes all the time - using wave periodisation of 3-4 week cycles more like original Westide principles or 5/3/1. This way even if something unexpected comes up, you're closer to your prime and detraining effect is way less pronounced. Or even Sheiko might still work, where the intensity does not change much - only the volume is manipulated.

I have finally made some progress this year, prior to this I stuffed my knee and had a bad illness that set me back a bit last year. I have learnt to be consistent, squat often and forget about always trying 1rm all the time. Biggest weakness lately has been my diet, dentist just rang and having all wisdom teeth out tomorrow so hopefully eating won't be so painful soon. Bring it on!

I can really relate to your posts broncs and Mike.

If your child or partner gets sick, you have to take up the slack and do what needs to be done. I had a period when my son and wife were both out of action for 2 weeks with bad tonsilitis. I had to run the house and work full time. The other week I worked 90 hours. Good luck trying to train when you work from 8am to 2am.

I definitely want to echo Mike's advice to younger trainers take advantage of their freedoms while they can.

But for those that have a lot to juggle, I think its important to think about ways to train smartly around these commitments. While I believe linear periodisation is a very effective way to train, I've learnt it doesn't work for me and my lifestyle - because if I miss training sessions at key parts of the cycle, that's it - you get a very pronounced detraining effect and the whole cycle is ruined.

I reckon I'm almost better off training closer to my maxes all the time - using wave periodisation of 3-4 week cycles more like original Westide principles or 5/3/1. This way even if something unexpected comes up, you're closer to your prime and detraining effect is way less pronounced. Or even Sheiko might still work, where the intensity does not change much - only the volume is manipulated.

Well said mate!
I wish i knew as much as i know now when i was 18 but no regrets.
Sheiko might a bit hard for you and me mate, no time:)
That's the reason when i first started back training got onto 5/3/1 as it fits my time schedule.

I have finally made some progress this year, prior to this I stuffed my knee and had a bad illness that set me back a bit last year. I have learnt to be consistent, squat often and forget about always trying 1rm all the time. Biggest weakness lately has been my diet, dentist just rang and having all wisdom teeth out tomorrow so hopefully eating won't be so painful soon. Bring it on!

jelly, ice cream, mashed potato, yoghurt and soup for you for a while Grippy! lol

Good luck with the wisdom teeth! You'll be eating eye fillet again soon enough ;)

At the moment I'd say a combination of consistency and being in a calorie deficit.

Lack of consistency means it's taking me longer to get to my goal weight which means staying in a deficit for longer which is making it a bit hard to maintain the intensity of weights every week.