• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why do i suck at squats?

craze

Hi Everyone, now i have read a number of threads and watched utube vids etc etc, but i find it hard to a squat properly, eg back bending too much/lower back hurting/pushing not with heals.

Now i stopped using leg press after joining this forum and also due to knee pain at 250KG (my muscles could take it but the knee couldn't). I can use the leg extension machine at 110KG so I don't have chicken legs.

I started to squat practicing on my own, then had a trainer watch me and help just using a bar in the power rack.

I then added 2 15KG plates, now 2 20KG plates but i am finding it difficult to not bend far forward etc and keep good form.

Is this a flexibility issue? I am not very flexible but i do stretch etc to try and improve.

1 thing i like about the squat is it does not give me knee pain

Thank you all

Well....we ideally need to see a vid of you squatting. If that's not possible, then from what you've said about leaning forward could mean a few things. For starters your feet may be too close to each other. Next time you squat, between each rep wide byour feet...even 1cm at a time.

Another factor (and pretty common one ) is a lack of hip/glute flexibility. While your looking on YouTube, searh for things like 'dynamic stretching hips'.

Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi, vid not really possible, i have been playing around with feet position, i tried closer and that made it worse i think.

So should be width, slight angle toes out, bum out, chest out, eyes keep in 1 spot?

Thanks.

On a good note, i seem to be the only 1 of very few who go deep, most of the guys their bum is not past there knees and they feel pretty proud about that. I can go heavier but refuse as i want to maintain form with a deep squat and progress that way.

somethin' else you can do, is once your in your bottom position of your squat, stay there for a count of three seconds. The logic behind this is to get you use to that bottom position. Then drive up (thru your hips...not your lower back). You could also do this progressively going down in the squat.

What I mean, is that as you decent, every few cm's (using lighter weight), you could pause for 1 or 2 seconds to reinforce the feeling of having a straight back, chest up & butt out.

Where to start?

The squat is an exercise that exposes weakness.

If your hip is tucking under you are going too deep, just stop before this happens, it's usually just after the hip passes the knee.

Just expanding on what PB is explaining, in your case the act of squatting is more important than how much you can squat.

Using the goblet squat, holding a 15kg dumbbell, is your best solution of discovering how you need to squat safely and productively.
It teaches you to squat between your legs which is a fundamental error most trainess make.

Practice your squat, for some it takes time, in the meantime be patient and find exercises to strengthen your hamstring and back.

Having issues with the leg press?
Describe your set-up in particular your foot placement on the equipment you are using and how many rep's/sets you do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

The leg press is where you sit not quite 45 deg, toes straight, about shoulder width, could do 3 sets 12 at 235KG, max about 250KG 6 or so is when i stopped due to knee problems.

Maybe i'm going too deep on the squat?

The leg press is where you sit not quite 45 deg, toes straight, about shoulder width, could do 3 sets 12 at 235KG, max about 250KG 6 or so is when i stopped due to knee problems.

Maybe i'm going too deep on the squat?

Same as the squat; toes angled out, knees follow/track that angle.

Make sure your knee is at a 90 degree angle, wrong foot placement can create a shearing action.

If this improves your situation then;

Reduce the weight and inrease your rep range to 30, one set should do.

Well done for squatting. But take it slowly, the squat will not improve you lumbar strength.
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't go deep here either, your lower back must always maintain contact with the seat.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've recently tried to teach myself to squat and so far i seem to have got it.
Sitting down to a box just below parallel, for several reps and trying to sit back each time worked for me. I think it was just being consistant, in the same movement.

Also what helped for me was using my 1yo as weight on my shoulders, entertained him and kept him happy and i could practice squat form. Win, win

Thanks everyone, i will see how i go over the next few weeks.

It seems looking at vids i have been going down too far possibly.

I will report back later this week

Thank you all for your help.

Last night was successful, I can feel my lower back is getting stronger and it helps.

It has taken 3 weeks just to get used to the squats (2 times a week), started at 40KG, last night went to 50 and 60KG.

Squatting takes time mate, then you find out you should probably change your technique cause it is still not good...