• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why do so many people train on the same stupid split routine?

SWH

Alright i've always wondered, why do i always see every idiot doing the same split routine which always consists of back and bi's and chest and shoulders or chest and tri's.

What person could honestly think you will get the full benefits of a split if your going to train the main muscle which uses a secondary muscle that your going to train next up. Everybody knows that shoulders are used while working chest so usually on a split routine shoulders would be just as fatigued as chest, why do people always train shoulders after chest why don't they put it in a different day? I know its probably a stupid question but FUCK its annoying me that its so widely advertised as a split routine, all the noobs some how get onto this.

Is there any reason why people do this or is everyone just fucking idiots lol

What are you saying, that your against split routines in general?

No i just don't understand why people train one bodypart that uses a secondary muscle (for example, chest and shoudlers) then train shoulders with basically no weight because their shoulders are already so heavily fatigued. Why wouldn't they put shoulders in with back so then they can heavily train shoulders and back without putting fatigue on shoulders before they even get trained properly? I'm only asking because i mostly see people new to gym tyring these kinds of routines out. I'm not against split routines, they have their role just don't understand why you would put those kinds of muscle groups in together as a split routine

I've often wondered why body part workouts even exist.

Lol.

I think for those who workout three days a week to just maintain generic fitness that it ain't a bad idea. Chest/Shoulders/Triceps then
Legs/Calves then
Back/Biceps
Allow people to maintain the pump in those muscles. You're right in saying that the muscle has already been recruited - which is why it shortens the workout so much.

Personally though, I hate working arms anything other than last in a week. So if I have to do a three day split, I'll often have a Chest/Shoulders/Abs day, a Back/Legs/Calves day and an Arms/Abs/Calves day.

I split arms when I first started training, and just found I was half assed about it. Just like when I try and split legs.

There's nothing wrong with training chest/tri or back/bi etc. Sam, particularly if you're an experienced lifter who can train with focused intensity but that's not to say that it's the only or best way to split a routine.

If you can train with intensity and target a particular muscle ie pecs then you can minimize the use of the assistant muscle, in this case the tris and then do the same while training the tris, you have efficiently trashed both in the same workout and then give them plenty off rest until their next workout, in my case I generally train each muscle group every 5 days, the key here is intensity.

Whatever split you use, don't just do the same one continually, mix it occasionally to stimulate them in different ways.

Alright i've always wondered, why do i always see every idiot doing the same split routine which always consists of back and bi's and chest and shoulders or chest and tri's.

What person could honestly think you will get the full benefits of a split if your going to train the main muscle which uses a secondary muscle that your going to train next up. Everybody knows that shoulders are used while working chest so usually on a split routine shoulders would be just as fatigued as chest, why do people always train shoulders after chest why don't they put it in a different day? I know its probably a stupid question but FUCK its annoying me that its so widely advertised as a split routine, all the noobs some how get onto this.

Is there any reason why people do this or is everyone just fucking idiots lol

Who cares what other people are doing lol.
Any program will give you some sort of results if you stick to it (for beginners especially). If they're training consistently good for them.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with training chest/tri or back/bi etc. Sam, particularly if you're an experienced lifter who can train with focused intensity but that's not to say that it's the only or best way to split a routine.
If you can train with intensity and target a particular muscle ie pecs then you can minimize the use of the assistant muscle, in this case the tris and then do the same while training the tris, you have efficiently trashed both in the same workout and then give them plenty off rest until their next workout, in my case I generally train each muscle group every 5 days, the key here is intensity.

Whatever split you use, don't just do the same one continually, mix it occasionally to stimulate them in different ways.

I understand this only when one has enough training experience to be able to completely isolate the muscle. The thing that gets to me is that theres so many beginners doing this style of workout. If they are going to isolate wouldn't it be more beneficial for them to at least use different muscles in different days instead of using primary and secondary muscle in the same day?

As opposed to full body wingy?
There's no way I could lift with same intensity doing a full body workout, not to mention I'd be doubling my time spent in the gym.

Show me an example day's work and the time taken please?

Who cares what other people are doing lol.
Any program will give you some sort of results if you stick to it (for beginners especially). If they're training consistently good for them.

Yep i guess. But just trying to understand why this is such a popular program at all for people who train in splits, its always made more sense to me to train the secondary muscle with a different muscle but as you said really. Who cares. Doesn't phase me, only when idiots from my school tell me that i train like a retard for training full body.

I honestly don't even take notice of the splits that anybody else does. Also i don't understand how it could annoy you, I love it that people do different splits to me as it means they are less likely to use the same equipment.

I understand this only when one has enough training experience to be able to completely isolate the muscle. The thing that gets to me is that theres so many beginners doing this style of workout. If they are going to isolate wouldn't it be more beneficial for them to at least use different muscles in different days instead of using primary and secondary muscle in the same day?
For a beginner that may be something to consider since it's safe to say that they won't be lifting as efficiently, which is one of the reasons a beginner can get away with lifting more often to start with.

That's not to say though that they should avoid training chest/tri together in the same workout, what matters more is that they train consistently regardless.

Last edited:
As opposed to full body wingy?
There's no way I could lift with same intensity doing a full body workout, not to mention I'd be doubling my time spent in the gym.

But most full body workouts are more simple, require less equipment so theres more of a chance that you won't be waiting for a piece of equipment because theres not as much required and a full body day would usually feature less exercises? as well as your only training muscles once where splits you train the muscle mulitiple times so wouldn't that mean that you can go hard out with full intensity with that one exercise per each muscle group that your lift works on?

I honestly don't even take notice of the splits that anybody else does. Also i don't understand how it could annoy you, I love it that people do different splits to me as it means they are less likely to use the same equipment.

It came to my attention recently at school since most of the other guys are doing the same split workout. They also think that theirs is most efficent and my way of training is inferior.
Just annoys me that 90% of those kids at my school have gone on bb.com for an hour, found a program and thats it, not research done at all which is what a lot of guys are doing these days, then complaining that they aren't getting results

Also just clearing up i don't have a problem with split routines in general, i'll probably end up jumping on a split routine sooner or later for a while. I'm just complaining about the guys my age who always end up finding the same routine that they end up complaining about a month later because their not seeing results

I don't believe that it is possible to split body parts, the body works as one and needs to rest as one, I mean it's impossible for your upper body to sleep while your legs stay awake.

I tend to look at a split workout as a routine with an emphasis on certain body parts.

I just love the feeling of having worked every muscle in my body in one session.

I wouldn't be surprised by what your friends and aquaintenances do, remember, you are teenagers!

Every one learns about training from different sources so you should expect that people have differing ways of training and that you will have disagreements.

Azz is spot on, who cares what other people are doing :)