• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

5rep routine for mass, good or bad?

Poliquin used to have heaps of good info. Now days he is king bro scientist. Hes in it for the money these days with all his supps and bio signature crap.

Fuck the Borg principle at 65kgs you should be sticking to the basics. Squat bench dead chins and lots of food.

How much you weigh has nothing to do with it, especially as I deadlift 3x bodyweight, linear progression isn't going to work. It's not just poliquin either with this information. It was the Russians that first realized this and used it in their olympic teams, as well as the bulgarians, canadians (who incidentally dominate the winter olympics), Dave Tate, Louie Simmons, Wendler recommends it, even rippetoe has mentioned that after you get your form right on each lift (see beginners don't need to change things immediately, because they are still working on form and these changes are enough to provide a new stimulus) you will need to eventually add in extra work and change it around when you stall.

Just think about it logically, you stall for 2 reasons (ignoring psychological sticking points) and these are CNS adaptation to the stimulus and muscle imbalances. Now even if you think that CNS adaptation is broscience, no routine will ever provide enough exercises to cover every muscle imbalance without you overtraining. So even for that reason, you will need to switch your exercises around to cover these imbalances. I'm not saying that you need a brand new routine every 3 weeks, just that you need to change SOMETHING. This can be swapping the order of your exercises around, altering the sets and reps to provide the same volume, changing assistance work, altering the tempo etc even changing from chin-ups to pull-ups will stop you from grinding to a halt on lat work which will fold over to an improved bench without you even having to touch it.

Now for a beginner, this probably won't need to be done until they have been training a good 6 months because they are still working on form (you will still afterwards also, but to less of an extent) but after that, you will progress faster by avoiding adapting to your routine and addressing muscle imbalances. You certainly will not get weaker doing this as long as you stick with the main core lifts, so at least try it for yourself and see what better progress you make.

If you post up your logs for the last year, I will be able to point out where you have started to slow down and give examples based on your experience, hopefully this will convince you more somewhat

i went to costco and bought a large black forrest cake on the weekend.. it was huuuge.. managed only 2 slices before i gave up.. might try and finish it more today..

mmmmmm caaakee!!

You can always try 5x5 on all compounds and use higher reps on isolations. Its doing me well at the moment.

Last edited:
weigh 2 of you, and your 1cm taller then me...

Before u call me fat last caliper test had me at 94kg LBM around 20.xx% not as accurate a method as a astronaut monkey taking a shit but it gives an idea...

Eat moarrr food