• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

5x5

the OP asked about if the program works..

yes it does..

then the threads turned into a medhi/SL discussion. :cool:

LMAO, i reckon it works 10 times better then a noob making their own routine

KungFooGoo agrees, however if you are a beginner KungFooGoo would suggest something with more volume especially if you're working out by yourself. It's very hard to learn decent technique only doing 25 working reps on certain excercises a week. You may think you've 'nailed it' technique wise on your last work set but after the 4 day lay off you might not be able to come back to that feeling.

As others have said in this thread SL 5 x 5 has worked very well for people's squat but not so much for other things and KungFooGoo thinks that purely due to volume... 75 working set reps a week for squats vs 25minimum or 50 maximum for other excercises.

Don't sell youself short, try the beginner program that's floating around here KungFooGoo suggests.

Are we still talking about "Stronglifts 5 x 5" or just 5x5 in general.... KungFooGoo's got nothing against 5x5 in general but dislikes "StrongLifts" .... Plus KungFooGoo thinks Mehdi is an 0ni.

KungFooGoo agrees, however if you are a beginner KungFooGoo would suggest something with more volume especially if you're working out by yourself. It's very hard to learn decent technique only doing 25 working reps on certain excercises a week. You may think you've 'nailed it' technique wise on your last work set but after the 4 day lay off you might not be able to come back to that feeling.

As others have said in this thread SL 5 x 5 has worked very well for people's squat but not so much for other things and KungFooGoo thinks that purely due to volume... 75 working set reps a week for squats vs 25minimum or 50 maximum for other excercises.

Don't sell youself short, try the beginner program that's floating around here KungFooGoo suggests.

Warm up sets for technique

Elaborate?

My bench sucks, 5x5 didn't feel great doing it. So I changed to 3x8, Feels better doing that now.

Stick with what works for you...

For me... I spent 9 months using 8 to 10 reps for bench when I started out...

Then Bench stalled and wasn't goin anywhere...

I switched to 5x5 And then 3x5 as things got heavier... and my bench really took off...

1x5 for dead-lift lol

In the context of the SS program... As a begginer program it concentrates considerably on building your squat...

With the understanding that you should always be able to deadlift more then you squat... So building your squat builds the deadlift anyway...

Hence SS only deadlifts 1x5... One and a half times a week.... Whereas squats are done every day of the program....

In RIPS words...

If you can't deadlift more then you squat... Then your an Alien....

And if your not an Alien... Then you must be a Pussy!!!

Last edited:
Mods move this to the right section lol

Dont really like having my post deleted when I am trying to help out the forum and just have things where they belong...so when newbies come here it looks more professional and ppl dont get confused...

Mods move this to the right section lol

Dont really like having my post deleted when I am trying to help out the forum and just have things where they belong...so when newbies come here it looks more professional and ppl dont get confused...

Fuck me, 5x5 can and has been used for bodybuilding. There is nothing saying it can't.