• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

8 x Mr Olympia LeeHaney says 'no' to squats?

Matt

So I've just read the above, hearing that, in his leg training seminars, he advocates high reps on super-slow leg extensions as his main weapon, leaving squats to be done at a much lighter weight, later in the program. going to try n get my hands on said seminars to verify this as i HATE squats :p

thoughts?

Are you Lee Haney? Are you as developed as Lee Haney was? Are you on as much gear as Lee Haney was?

No?

Then fucking squat.

Or don't, whatever, but you'd be making gains harder to come by if you avoid them.

it's probably my own fault that i hate them (probably bad form), especially since i don't really like training my legs anyway, but i don't feel comfortable in the movement. i also have really tight hamstrings, which can become uncomfortable.
and i don't like the positioning of the bar, either in normal squats OR in front squats.
as a whole, i just don't like the movement and, being that i'm tall-ish (long lever length - back), i don't feel the risk is worth the reward for me

it's probably my own fault that i hate them (probably bad form), especially since i don't really like training my legs anyway, but i don't feel comfortable in the movement. i also have really tight hamstrings, which can become uncomfortable.
and i don't like the positioning of the bar, either in normal squats OR in front squats.
as a whole, i just don't like the movement and, being that i'm tall-ish (long lever length - back), i don't feel the risk is worth the reward for me

if you can push theough the pain and discomfort you will forever stay weak and small

Take a drive to PTC, If you still feel uncomfortable after a few session there, they should probably shut down.

Don't read what bodybiulders write, it's all smoke and mirrors.

So I've just read the above, hearing that, in his leg training seminars, he advocates high reps on super-slow leg extensions as his main weapon, leaving squats to be done at a much lighter weight, later in the program. going to try n get my hands on said seminars to verify this as i HATE squats :p

thoughts?

Sounds like you have some sand in your vagina.

once again, feedback is largely totally useless, except goosey, from who's post i infer that i should get some proper instruction into how to do the movement correctly before i discount it from the godly status you all seem to think it deserves.

goosey, thank you for your suggestion.
everyone else, thank you for not raising the bar of expectation for legitimate and reasoned retort on a web forum

The first exercise to master is the squat, it's a good exercise.

But a good leg-press and SLDL or leg-curl can be as effective.
And not one of those 45 degree sled type bastards, their bad juju.

If u dont possess the athletic ability to peform a deep knee bend squat. U should be doin nothing more than stretching and fixing your postural issues. Cause by the time you turn 50 you will live a stiff painful life. Ps stop sitting down so much its really bad for you

Hi Matt

When you goto sit down, is it comfortable? If so, then you should be able to squat comfortably as well, its not meant to be a foreign movement, we are born with the ability.

Things like bar position etc. could be as simple as changing your grip position, or maybe your not keeping your upper back tight causing discomfort.

once again, feedback is largely totally useless, except goosey, from who's post i infer that i should get some proper instruction into how to do the movement correctly before i discount it from the godly status you all seem to think it deserves.

everyone else, thank you for not raising the bar of expectation for legitimate and reasoned retort on a web forum

if you ask a stupid question you need to expect stupid answers.

and make sure you do free weight squats, non of that smith bullshit

not liking training legs is your own problem.
everything else is a form or mobility issue that can be fixed, and not being comfortable with it just means you haven't practiced it enough to get in the "groove"

"long lever length" is an even more important reason TO squat... no-one said you have to go heavy...

And thank you for asking a question that was covered in great length just recently and should still be visible on this page.

Do you have to squat? No.

Should you? Yes. Its benefits are innumerable and it is one of the most truely functional exercises out there.

If you have mobility issues then fix them, don't use them as an excuse to avoid an exercise.

Edit: I should add, I fucking hate squats. They're the bane of my existence. But I perform them religiously 2-3 times a week with heavy fucking weight and have done so for years.

Good answers have been said but I'll still add my view.

You don't have to but if it is a mobility issue then you should really look into fixing that problem so you can more around properly past the age of 50. Squatting also adds a lot more functional strength ability than leg press etc. If mass gain is your goal then forgo them but at least work on getting your body right so you can move properly.