• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

A bit of an unusual question...

PowerBuilder

Okay, so i've got a bit of an unusual question. When it comes to strength training, it comes largely down to the number of recruited motor units to do the work. That being said, it's not so much the size of the muscle(s), but the overall conditioning. Though size is obviously an important factor.

My question is, from a physical stand point...whats standing between my current Clean & Jerk (for example of around 70k) and doing a 120kg. Is it more of a muscle recruitment, having to gain a lot of LBM, both or something else?

Check it - on gbrathletics.com they show records for lightweights for example clean & jerking between the range of 155 to 170...and these guys are in the 69kg class.

ivan-stoitsov-jerk.jpg

Last edited:
For a 120kg I would say it is mainly a neural issue so your recruitment is not as high as it could be. Muscle mass always plays a part in how much someone can lift (and muscle fiber type for that matter) but the greatest gains for most people are due to neural adaptations.

You may not be genetically inclined towards a 170kg C&J at 69kg but that does not mean a 120kg C&J at that weight is not possible. So depending on your body fat which looks fairly low from the pictures I have seen you probably have not much chance of adding any significantly functional muscle mass (but I do not know all your stats so I may be wrong). My point is you may be able to hit a 170kg in your life but you may have to be in the 80+ to get it.

Last edited:
muscle recruitment for sure, which you will get from practice, lots of practice.

Pete, concentrate on 80kg first. I dont think you have even deadlifted 170kg yet.

I think you just need to get stronger. I see you do alot of technical work, which is important, but strength comes first, and you havent yet built it.

As far as whats possible, Max managed 110kg C&J at 70kg and 17, he has never had the coaching youve had, but he's done a lot of strength work.

You need to build your house from the ground up, forget fiber recruitment and all that stuff. Get to a novice strength level first. Squat 3 plates, dead 4 plates.

Once you can do that, your 80kg clean will feel like a feather.

Get back to strength basics Pete.

Thanks chaps. I perhaps didn't communicate my message very well.

I guess my main question was what stands between a person (obviously there's an extremely large volume of possibilities) who's clean & jerking 80 & doing the same lift @ 120kg (both PB's respective). The same can be said for a bench press, front squat, snatch.........

I'm increasingly becoming more & more aware of the need to become strong (Though I must say i haven't been oblivious to this). A mate at the guy on friday night did a triple @ 220. Watching him train is amazing.