• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

A question on Squat form?

Stevo82

I just noticed when completing a unweighted squat in the mirror that when I get low (past parallel about a inch or two) that my hip drops, like my back is straight until that point and then bends abit at the tail bone. I cannot seem to keep it straight, what do you think? is it normal or do I have a flexability issue? I only normally squat to parallel or just past with weight and have had no issues with back squats to date.

edcoan.jpg

This is ed coan, the strongest powerlifter ever after andrew wk.

Notice that his back is anything but straight? its pretty much anatomically impossible. Don't stress it.

edit: double checking OP - do you mean your backs not vertical when you squat or that your back isnt straight/arched?

Last edited:
butt wink perhaps? google it, it's basically losing your lower back tightness as you're going too deep.

It's a flexibility problem and it's normal. All part of learning to squat properly and deeply.
Find stretches to work on your glute, hamstring and hip flexibility, and increase your lower back strength. The two approaches will fix it.