• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

A result of your environment

No matter what people think the environment you train in has an impact.

If you have a 200kg deadlift where are you more likely to improve. The gym where the next best dead is 100kg or the gym full of blokes deadlifting over 300.

The subconscious drive to beat the next bloke.

This is scaring me but I again agree 100%. It's the people you surround yourself with and the environment that probably have the biggest impact to your training.

My younger brother trains is a posh commercial chrome and fern type heath club on the north shore, he thinks dead lifts are bad for you, squats hurt your knees and damage your spine, military press hurts your lower back and free weights are the devil and only monkeys that train in gyms in the western suburbs that can't afford chrome plated machines use them. I kid you not. He is 6'3" tall and benches 80kg and thinks he is a beast, then does 8 variations of arm curls with little chrome dumbbells to bring out the peaks on his biceps. and he limits his leg training as his legs get too big.

It's got little to do with environment. If you want it bad enough you'll do it anywhere. Correct me if in wrong but doesnt S Pritchard train at home in his garage? Hasn't stopped him getting stronger.

It's got little to do with environment. If you want it bad enough you'll do it anywhere. Correct me if in wrong but doesnt S Pritchard train at home in his garage? Hasn't stopped him getting stronger.

id have to disagree on that on Shrek, one May look peretty good in gym full of accountants and even feel on top of their game and maybe even a little cocky.
Then the same one walks into a bbing gym and suddenly the light comes on with the realisation what level these boys play at and how much harder he needs to twist the throttle to get in the game.

its just how it works.

It's more about being aware of people more successful than you and having that in your mind at all times

It's more about being aware of people more successful than you and having that in your mind at all times

Yeah, its like I watch strongman and powerlifting videos before I go to the gym, that gets me in the right mindset to go and achieve more.

It's got little to do withenvironment. If you want it bad enough you'll do it anywhere. Correct me if inwrong but doesnt S Pritchard train at home in his garage? Hasn't stopped himgetting stronger.
On the same wave length with Adrian here, and as I've said before, once you've been subjected (experienced) the different environments,you then create and rely on the ones you create for yourself internally.

Back in 1983 whilst at the AIS, I met up with a psychologist who made what seemed very insignificant to many at the time, to have a very profound effect on my lifting. He asked me a very simple, and what seemed to be a very innocent question: how do you prepare for a competition Fadi, what tools do you use to get you motivated etc.? Without even blinking, I mentioned the mirror (which was in the change room by the way) and few other things... He did not say no that's wrong and you shouldn't, he simply said Fadi, you've got to go inside of yourself and find that drive from within. You have no control on the external environment and you cannot rely on it to be always there for you (as you want it to be). You create your environment and you become the master of it, not the other way around.

Relying on some as hard as you can get hardcore atmosphere in one's gym, or one's equipment, or anything outside of one's self, has the potential to bring one down when least expected.

I fully respect each and everyone's point of view here, and there was a time when I myself did rely on some external factors to make progress. However as one progresses in the sport, one realises that the best person to rely on is one's own self above all other factors. Yes we all need some change and yes, at times we feel the need to see or hear a particular thing or someone to re-ignite something from within. But ultimately, the buck stops with you and only you!

Fadi.

Last edited:

Powerlifting is different. It's not a popular sport.

How many people have made it to the top in the highly competitive sports by training in their own garage by themselves.

id have to disagree on that on Shrek, one May look peretty good in gym full of accountants and even feel on top of their game and maybe even a little cocky.
Then the same one walks into a bbing gym and suddenly the light comes on with the realisation what level these boys play at and how much harder he needs to twist the throttle to get in the game.

its just how it works.

HEY! I'm an accountant who is prepping for first BB comp :p

I believe if you have the knowledge and will power then the environment is secondary. I've found that I can push myself just as hard in the commercial gym I work at as I do when I go and train at PTC. The only major difference is that there are other people using my maxes as warmups at PTC haha.

For physique, I don't think it matters so much as that is predominantly changed by what you shove into your face outside of the gym not the time you spend in it IMO.

Really? Maybe commercial gym chicks are a different breed. The most I have seen a chick DL in my gym is 60kg, and she was a crossfitter. Most are scared of big weights. Just last week when I was deadlifting the chick doing tricep kickbacks next to me actually let out a little whimper as I finished my first rep lol.
This is why I say environment matters. The environment of your peers. This is a common observation of schoolteachers, that they can tell a kid's grades by the kids they hang out with.

An important part of doing well in any area is actually knowing what is possible. Most people are quite simply unaware that it's even possible for someone to pick up 100 or more kg from the floor and stand up with it, and the idea of it getting over their head somehow seems magical, "must be drugs," they say dismissively.

Shrek says that if a person is determined enough, they can achieve their goals anywhere. What he doesn't realise is that most people have no real goals. "I want to get fit, lose weight, tone up."

In theory, the job of trainers and coaches is to take people from A to B, from their capabilities to their goals. Dan John pointed out that there's a problem with this: athletes know B but not A, and most people in gyms know A but not B.

An athlete knows exactly where they want to be, "On June 1st I will run 100m in 9.98 seconds." But they're really bad at knowing where they are now, "Yes I need a knee reconstruction... so?"

The typical gym-goer, by contrast, is acutely aware of where they are now. "This," they say, pinching their upper arm or belly fat, "what's this?" or "My back hurts all day," or "my wife won't touch me," or whatever. But they have absolutely no idea where they want to be. "I want to get fit, lose weight, tone up." What is "fit", to you? How much weight? What is "toned", and how will you know when you are "toned" enough? All these typical gym-goers mix in the typical gym and share their cluelessness. That's why few have workout plans, none of them have journals, none progress the effort systematically. If you don't know where you're going then there's no need to map out the route there, your random wanderings will be enough.

If this typical gym-goer is exposed to some people who've excelled in some way - whether it be rehabbing injuries, running a marathon, deadlifting 200kg or whatever - then they start to get an idea that they themselves may actually be capable of excelling at something. Clear goals start to form in their minds.

Part of my job as a trainer is to let people know what they're capable of, provided they work hard and long enough. I can tell them, but sometimes you have to see it in person. This is why, as I said, I take my clients to competitions. Then it becomes, "Well if she can do it... so can I!" Not everyone's a super-determined beast who can do it all on their own in the garage. But not everyone's a lazy slug, either. Most people are something in between - they just need someone to believe in them and show them what's possible.

When talking about environment having an effect I am referring to getting to the top.

Sure can a bloke go from average joe to a pretty good physique or 250kg dead on their own. Yeah no worries.

Can the same bloke become one of the elite in their chosen sport. Not likely.

And you you were to throw this average joe into a proper bbing gym, I think he would looks even better in a shorter time, Baz.

Powerlifting is different. It's not a popular sport.

How many people have made it to the top in the highly competitive sports by training in their own garage by themselves.

I could do my usual laundry list of athletes that have trained alone if you like but you'll probably be satisfied by the word "many". Happens a lot in track and field

I could do my usual laundry list of athletes that have trained alone if you like but you'll probably be satisfied by the word "many". Happens a lot in track and field

Your usual laundry list. What the hell does that mean. Since when have you listed athletes that train in their garage by themselves before.

List them.

I'm on Shrek, 0nis side on this...what the fuck does 'being around' strong people have to do with getting strong?
I think people who train on their own but still seek out advice and coaching from the right people when required can succeed.

So everyone here that trains in their backyard or garage is wasting their time by not achieving the maximum results possible?