• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Advice on Current Program - Too Change or not too CHange

Stealthy

Hi all,

This is the first time I have sought advice on strength/powerlifting training, so please bare with me as I seek some informed advice.

I'm 34 yo, weigh 117kg and am 6,1. I started do weights 12 months ago (Sep 2010), and have dedicated myself to a program pretty consistently for that time. I've had at the most only an extended break of two weeks, otherwise I have been doing 3-4 days per week. Up until this time, I had only done sporadic sessions in the gym - last time was in 2004 where I lasted for a couple of months.

The program I have been following I found on the internet and is designed to be a strength building progam. I am very happy with the results I have achieved and am currently lifting, but thought that after doing it for a year, would be best to throw it out there to get some feedback and advice.

I'll outline my current program below and leve it open for comment and discussion. I also have a number of broad questions I'm seeking advice on. My current program and weights are:

Chest and Triceps:

Strength Week:

• Bench Press: Sets - 8 Reps 3 @ 132.5kg (1RM=155kg)
  • Dumbbell Bench: Sets 3 Reps 10 @ 43kg
  • Incline Flys: Sets 3 Reps 10 @ 34kg
  • Tricep Pull Downs: Sets 3 Reps 10 @ 61 (cable machine with t-bar)
  • Assisted Dips: Sets 3 Reps 10 @ 33 (amount of assistance)
When I can complete all reps for the number of sets, I will increase weight the next time.

Density Week:

• Bench Press: Sets 7 Reps (30 total) @ 122.5kg (60 secs break for the first 4 sets, then 90 for next two, then 120 before last.)
  • Dumbell Bench: Sets 7 Reps (30 total) @ 43kg (rest as above)
  • Close Grip Bench Press: Sets 7 Reps (30 total) @ 80kg (rest as above)
Likewise as the strength week, I will add more weight when I can complete 30+ resps in the 7 sets. I also alternate between the two each week.

Back:

Strength Week:

• Deadlifts: Sets 8 Reps 2-3 (1x160(3), 2x190(3), 4x190(2), 1x190(1)) - this was from this week. (1RM = 235kg)
  • Shrugs: Sets 3 Reps 12 @ 155kg
  • Seated Row: Sets 3 Reps 10 @ 103 (cable machine)
  • Lat Pull Downs: Sets 3 Reps 10 @ 96
  • Assisted Wide Grip Pullups: Sets 3 Reps 10 @ 33 (amount of assistance)
Density Week:

• Deadlifts: Sets (however many I feel like) (1x70(10), 1x110(3), 1x150(3), 1x200(3), 1x225(1), 1x230(1))
  • Bent over Row: Sets 7 Reps (30 total) @ 110kg
  • Lat Pull Down: Sets 7 Reps (30 total) @ 96
With deadlifts, shrugs and rows I use straps. On the density week, I increase weight when I can complete 30+ reps in the 7 sets.

Shoulders and Biceps:

Strength Week:

• Seated Press Behind Neck: Sets 8 Reps 3 @ 77.5kg (smith machine)
  • Seated Dumbell Front Raise: Sets 3 Reps 10 @ 20kg
  • Seated Dumbell Lat Raise: Sets 3 Reps 10 @ 18kg
  • Alt Standing Hammer Curl: Sets 3 Reps 10 @ 34kg
  • Barbell Curl: Sets 3 Reps 10 @ 41kg
Density Week:

• Military Press: Sets 7 Reps 30 @ 80kg
  • Seated Arnold Press: Sets 7 Reps 30 @ 36kg
  • Barbell Curl; Sets 7 Reps 30 @ 45kg
Legs:

Strength Week:

• Squats: Sets 8 Reps 3 @ 120kg
  • Leg Extensions: Sets 3 reps 15 @ 105
  • Leg Curls: Sets 3 Reps 10 @ 45
  • Seated Calf Raise: Sets 3 Reps 15 @ 70kg
Density Week:

• Squats: Sets 4 Reps 10 @ 100kg
  • Leg Ext: Sets 7 Reps 30 @ 115
  • Roman Deadlifts: Sets 7 Reps 30 @ 70kg
  • Seated Calf Raise: Sets 7 Reps 30 @ 75kg
As you see, I have neglected legs for the past few months. These weights are from the last two weeks as I've started to ensure they are performed each week again.

Questions:

The following questions have been on my mind for a while:

• Should I be using gloves and straps whilst lifting? I currently use them on back days as outlined above.
  • Are there flaws in the program I use? Could this be structured better in relation to the exercises, sets, reps etc.
  • I use creatine pre workout and a protein shake post. Should I continue using these supplements?
  • I have some excess weight around my middle section which I'd like to lose. I do a little cardio work but my main goal is to get strong. I want to bench 180, Dl 250 and squat 180. How much if any cardo should I be doing? Note: I also play soccer so am agile and fit enough to run.
I hope I haven't been too indulgent for a first time poster. I have got myself to where I am without really any outside input, so I am hoping that this board can help me reach (then exceed) my goals by providing suuport, assistance and motivation.

Look forward to any meaningfull assistance that can be offered.

Thanks in advance,

Stealthy

As for the program don't change it if you are still getting results.

Never wear gloves
Straps, maybe.

Don't do cardio if you don't want to, it won't help you get stronger. Losing weight you need to eat less calories.

If you want to do 'Cardio' stick to sled pulls, Prowlers, Tire flips & so on. Most of the research shows HIIT has similar effects to slow steady state work in terms of weight loss.

If you want to do 'Cardio' stick to sled pulls, Prowlers, Tire flips & so on. Most of the research shows HIIT has similar effects to slow steady state work in terms of weight loss.

Really unless you are training for something specific cardio is cardio. It's doesn't really matter what you do. You don't need to do cardio but if you want to just pick a form of cardio you enjoy.

Nah there is a big difference between cardio and conditioning. One is to better your heart, the other is to improve your anaerobic endurance threshold.

Personally, I like hill sprints, descending distance sprints and splitting logs

Nah there is a big difference between cardio and conditioning. One is to better your heart, the other is to improve your anaerobic endurance threshold.

Personally, I like hill sprints, descending distance sprints and splitting logs

Like I said if your doing it for sport you should be doing specific cardio or conditioning.

If your doing it for health or weight loss just do whatever you feel like.

On the other side, if you are interested in conditioning the muscles to better use what’s being delivered to them, consider- metabolic conditioning.

Although, that's not too much fun.

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I am still increasing my lifts (3x PB's tonight on on Shoulders/Biceps sets). Therefore at the moment I am probably still content to stick with this program as there has been no indication that the program will not assist me in reaching my goals.

As for cardio work, my main goal is to lose the fat I carry around my middle section - I can't see how having this is going to increase my strength in any way. I'm hoping that with a more concerted effort in doing squats, that this will also assist in the movement of this weight.

I'm also going to try and spend at least 20 mins/morning doing some form of cardio exercise (rowing machine, treadmill, run etc). My strength program is performed at night.

Still open to any input of tweaks that can be made to the program or reinforcement that what I am doing is ok.

Just also like to get clarification on why people recommend no gloves. Is this because it it a competion requirement? If so, I'm not worried about this as I can't ever see myself going into a competion!

Thanks again...

Lose the gloves for deadlifts. Only bring them in for assistance after grip failure.

SQUAT MOAR!
@ El Freako.

Just watched your YouTube Video - Nice lifts mate...well done.

Yes as stated, I have neglected squats. Hoping that this will assist me in reaching a 250kg DL.

Gloves will inhibit your grip, making 250 harder to achieve.

And with your goals it be unfortunate if you didn't compete.