• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Age question

hugoti

Guys I have a young son that I would to introduce to weight training. At what age do you think he can start weight training safely? Does he have to wait till he is in his teens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a guy who has 2 kids that do olympic lifting. they are like 7 and 9
all light stuff and more fun but still. the 9 year old clean and jerked 35kg which is just over his bodyweight I think.

That stunt your growth thing is false.

just keep it light and fun for them if they are younger than 15 or so.

Not to be a spoil sport, but proof on stunted growth plates etc.. from heavy or excessive resistance training being incorrect please?

OP, how old is your boy?

Well he's only 5 so way too early at the moment. He's just started playing rugby. I was thinking maybe in a few years time when he's at least 9 but wondered whether he can start earlier. He likes to play with those kids mini dumbells but obviously has no idea of doing weights. Just curious to know that's all.

It's a funny one, society is happy for kids to run, jump, skip, ride bikes, play tag, play sport, do athletics, gymnastics, etc etc, but when it comes to weight training there is a knee jerk reaction. Personally I'd go with what TTT and Silverback have said, it's fine as long as they are supervised and taught the correct way from the start.

Test-E, I believe TTT is correct, I can't be arsed looking for the study, but I'm sure I've seen it before.

In my opinion and what I'll be encouraging my kids to do is start off with gymnastics from a young age, learn about body control, strength and flexibility, I'd also be happy for them to incorporate some BJJ if they were interested. As an early teen or when they are interested in doing some weight training I'd get them involved in Olympic Lifting. I'll be doing my best to keep my kids out of a regular gym

Outside of bodyweight stuff I wouldn't want to start them on anything remotely heavy until about 1-2 years after puberty hits

On the stunted growth I believe in the study of stunted growth the cause was injury caused by lifting weight not the weight lifting itself.

I've always read/believed that training too young hinders your bone development but I don't have kids so never looked in to it too much. The missus side of the family has a boy thats 16 this year, he'd be developed like a 20 year old, mostly told to do body weight stuff by his footy coaches but ignored that and weight trained since he was 13 or so. Good genes but it certainly hasn't hurt him that's for sure

Good supervision is key. There's a gym in Brisbane for example that will train people from 1-100 and has olympic coaches.

Kids 5 Y/O need to run around and have fun with other kids and parents.

as an aside i cannot understand parents moaning about taking their kids to aus kick and shit, you're a parent, it's your job...parenting.

my 5 and 7 year olds will often come out and muck around when i'm doing a session..

squats with 1kg (just something to hold onto), pull ups (assisted), girly push ups (knees on ground) - they do some for around 10 minutes then get bored and run off to the next activity

At that age - I would just make sure he is active - running around, playing, try and put a football in his hands or something - from sort of the age of maybe 8ish get him into playing sport (depending on how young the juniors go in your area) - he will then be doing some somewhat "structured" fitness stuff, maybe even little athletics aswell - 10-12 maybe start taking him down to the oval to do some runs/sprints/push ups/sit ups/maybe some light kettlebell stuff, then from 13/14 he should be good to go in the gym - doing some basic light stuff - by the time he is 15 he should be doing pretty much whatever an adult can do training plan wise.

I started with "fulltime" weight training programs at 14 I think - mainly for Rugby.

Kids 5 Y/O need to run around and have fun with other kids and parents.

as an aside i cannot understand parents moaning about taking their kids to aus kick and shit, you're a parent, it's your job...parenting.

I coach my sons junior rugby league team and I love it, it's great fun. The hardest thing is getting other parents to help out with the various responsibilities we have as a team (running canteen, setting up fields, etc). It always seems to fall back on the same few people who already put a lot of time into the team and the club. Some parents think you're a free babysitting service.

It always seems to fall back on the same few people who already put a lot of time into the team and the club. Some parents think you're a free babysitting service.

Its the same at every local club. Juniors through to seniors.

I coach my sons junior rugby league team and I love it, it's great fun. The hardest thing is getting other parents to help out with the various responsibilities we have as a team (running canteen, setting up fields, etc). It always seems to fall back on the same few people who already put a lot of time into the team and the club. Some parents think you're a free babysitting service.

This is what pisses me orf.
this is all part of the job, this and father moaning that they have to take their daughter to dance lesson, it's your bloody job as a parent you idiot.

watching your kids train and play and having fun, really shows you what's going on in the kids head.
rant over.

They grow up too fast, before you know, in ten years their gone and your sitting on your arse with a liver complaint and moaning where's my life gone?

some bloody parents are fucking hopeless.

have a good day.

Good supervision is key. There's a gym in Brisbane for example that will train people from 1-100 and has olympic coaches.
Cougars.

that is where I was talking about in my previous post where the kids were doing oly lifting.