• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Another stronglifts question

mouse

About to start stronglifts after having 6 weeks off after shoulder injury . Anyway question in relation to the routine , 5x5 for squats , shoulder press , rows & bench and only 1x5 for the deadlifts ? Any reason for this ? Keen to do at least 3 sets or more on the deads .. Thanks in advance people , also sorry if in wrong section ..

Graham beat me to it
Do as many sets as you like. As long as you're advancing in weight. Just be sensible

I would be wary of heaps of squatting after shoulder surgery. Having a shit shoulder I can tell you squatting especially low bar puts heaps of stress on it.

What was wrong with your shoulder.

Also stronglifts is shit and Medhi who wrote the programme is an A grade penis.

how many times a week do you do the program?

i deadlift once a week and only do 3 sets all up, if the program has you doing deads more than once a week you wouldnt want to go overboard or you will burn out.

jsut had a look, 3 times a week, so one week will be A/B/A the next B/A/B etc, keep in mind you are still deadlifting every 3/5 deys i guess on the week wehre you go A/B/A you could do 2/3 sets, but there is still a heap of deadlift volume without it

I fail to see how a n00b pulling 1 plate is going to over train or burn out doing 5x5 3 times over a fortnight.

If he starts feeling beaten up he can drop a set here or there, or drop the weight to ~85% for the final couple of sets.

I fail to see how a n00b pulling 1 plate is going to over train or burn out doing 5x5 3 times over a fortnight.

If he starts feeling beaten up he can drop a set here or there, or drop the weight to ~85% for the final couple of sets.
true, didnt take that into consideration

The thing I don't like about stronglifts is how the volume decreases as you get stronger
It's the opposite of what you want lol. The model that Starr laid out is that you start with the minimum volume needed to produce results then increase both the volume and the intensity over time. SL has you decrease the volume and increase the intensity

I also see lots of people do Stronglifts on fitocracy. They make minimal progress by the time they are doing 1x5 on everything and make the vast majority of the gains doing 5x5. They also normally have shitty deadlifts in relation to the squat

I'm kinda bias though, I hate 5x5 as a training system

Yeh just gunna go 3x5 on the deads I think .. Is the general concensus on here that stronglifts is a shit program ?

It's fine
Just get onto the Texas Method when you stop making progress, and read up on how to do the 5x5 training system correctly and it will serve you well.

I will begin dumping information

Not sure if you are referring to me but I agree they won't overtrain. Just saying people will progress on 1 set of deads a week for a long time. I still seem to get best progress working up to one set of heavy deads.

There's two main reasons why SS and SL prescribe only 1 working set of deadlifts. First is that the 5x5 squats 3x/wk and the 5x5 rows every other workout are plenty of volume for the musculature involved in the deadlift, and so you don't need much volume on the actual deadlift to progress on it. Second is that with all that squatting volume throughout the week, you've already got a lot to recover from, so if you can get away with less volume on deadlifts and still make progress, Rip and Mehdi would both argue that you probably should, so as not to overtax the body. Of course, that's their thinking, and it has its place but certainly isn't absolute truth. There's always alternative approaches, such as Nick Horton's mantra that "more isn't always better...but it usually is."

Outside of SS and SL, on a program where you aren't squatting and deadlifting on the same day, you're more likely to see a greater volume on the deadlifts. I've seen plenty of bodybuilding, powerlifting and general strength programs that have the exact same amount of volume for both squats and deadlifts, but they tend to be done on different days of the week.

Looks like tradition as much as anything else, to me. Starting Strength only has 1x5 for deadlifts too.* So does that "Reg Park" routine on a few websites (that one's 3x5 for deadlifts, but the first two are warmup or ramping sets, just like the 5x5 lifts are actually 3x5 + 2 warmup or ramping sets).

Is there anything in particular that's wrong with 5x5, 0ni? It's not what I do, but it's sort of similar enough, that I'm curious. :)

* + warmups, like with most routines, right?

Last edited:
Not sure if you are referring to me but I agree they won't overtrain. Just saying people will progress on 1 set of deads a week for a long time. I still seem to get best progress working up to one set of heavy deads.

It was directed at Callan.

And you're different Baz lol. You don't really follow a program, and just go out and try to hit a pb every day and manage to do it, using fairly low volume and zero assistance, while playing another sport at the same time
Not too many people are likely to be able to train that way and see consistent progress

people dont seem to like it when someones not doing either starting strength or the ptc beginners program.

but saying that i do recommend them myself haha

but if your goal is to build muscle why do 5x5? id look at seomthing with higher rep ranges, for muscle size and strength id go beginners program, basically 3x8s and 3x10, basically the mid range between a strength program and a bodybuilding program, so uts a good starting point as it will help create a solid base