• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

At what point did you not consider yourself as novice anymore?

What is a novice lifter?

I have trained consistently for 11-12 years now and I don't consider myself a advanced lifter, expert - not even close - to a degree I still consider myself novice....

I am not sure where someone can say they are novice or not...is it training consistently more than a year? Being able to squat 200kg+, competing in powerlifting or bodybuilding etc etc...

Depends on the individual wouldn't it? A person can still be a novice if they squat 2 x BW but still do it with piss poor technique. However having more than just a casual understanding of the lift, knowing how their own body responds to the movement biomechanically, and the ability to consistently set up and execute the lift in a safe manner would graduate that person from novice to intermediate in my opinion. The increase in poundages lifted will then follow for bonus stereosonic points.

Very good question, I know kunce who I would say are a novice and kunce that I would say are advanced.
But to answer admins Q directly, when did I consider myself no longer a novice? Never till now, never thought about it till admin asked the question. 20+ years, I suppose I'm a little pas the novice stage.

i suppose when people start to ask you for training advice, especially when the request follow a complement, this could get one thinking that you're no longer a novice, dunno, no straight answer, but a good question.

I guess I would considered myself to have passed the novice stage after a couple of years.

by then I had a solid understanding of the nutrition required, and had bulked, cut, and maintained.

i had worked out a decent split of training the muscle groups, good mind muscle connections and form (to a point)

i achieved 105kgs naturally by age 22, which was when I decided to take it to the next level with "assistance" I guess this is the point in time I would have considered myself no longer a novice.

Day 2 of my membership.

Seriously though, I think if you understand training each body part correctly and can devise your own training routine, you're no longer novice.

I just go by Markos standards. When I squatted 140kg, benched 100kg and deadlifted 180kg. All done at around 77kg after about a year of consistent training (after a few years of BS training).

Always more to learn though even if you are advanced.

I probably stopped thinking I was a novice when I got my lifts to about 120/180/200 or something like that, and when I understood all the fundamentals of each different muscle group, and had experience with different training regimes. I guess its mostly per individual.

i think after years of training, having a basic understanding of nutritien, being able to construct a decent workout program and change it around to suit training needs, i would not consider myself a novive, however, this by no means i have stopped learning and far from being and expert, i consider it that it means i have a basic fundimental level of understanding and in most cases be able to apply those fundimentals to achieve a goal.

i think after years of training, having a basic understanding of nutritien, being able to construct a decent workout program and change it around to suit training needs, i would not consider myself a novive, however, this by no means i have stopped learning and far from being and expert, i consider it that it means i have a basic fundimental level of understanding and in most cases be able to apply those fundimentals to achieve a goal.

I have a similar view, although my lifts are not that good.

I am pretty confident in giving the right advice, but don't have the lifts to match what I suggest.

I have a similar view, although my lifts are not that good.

I am pretty confident in giving the right advice, but don't have the lifts to match what I suggest.

I always find this sort of thing interesting - I will always try and shy away from giving advice on things I have not achieved myself - I guess you can be a good coach without achieving what you are training i.e a Football coach training players....

Around the time I realised that worrying about whether I'm a novice or not doesn't mean anything to anyone.

I probably stopped thinking I was a novice when I got my lifts to about 120/180/200 or something like that, and when I understood all the fundamentals of each different muscle group, and had experience with different training regimes. I guess its mostly per individual.

+1