• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Barbell Row

GoPies

Hi All,

I found on here the following description -> Exercises for Back :: Bent-over Barbell Row

While youtubing for a video to demonstrate the correct form for Barbell Row it became apparent that there seems to be a number of variants.

See below:

[YOUTUBE]TZLCvXbej_Q[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ss5SuopztW4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]GH-ohxZOD7c[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]uaw-Up9Fkcg[/YOUTUBE]

What technique are people using on here? What's the recommended technique ?

Edit: Are the youtube vid's showing up for others?

Last edited:
Hey mate with the youtube links you need to just paste the code, not the whole link

eg your 1st video you need to just leave this part: TZLCvXbej_Q

i cant view the videos cos im at work, but that description given on this board is how i execute the exercise. for a change up i also use and under hand grip whilst using the ez bar.

I'll do all 4 - depending on how I feel...i'll do rev grip, close grip, wide grip, normal grip, from the ground, out of the power rack etc etc

whats the difference between videos 1, 3, 4 apart from grip style?

Not a whole lot from what I can see.

1). under hand grip
2). back parallel to the floor, weights hit the floor between each rep.
3). over hand grip
4). very similar to 3, just another view.

i used to do pendlay rows like the 2nd video but i cant for the life of me get my lower back streight, heres a pic

bentrowback.jpg

normal bent over row i should be fine though
bentrowback1.jpg

Now I'm confused.... which one is considered normal BB Row?

I've been doing it like number 3/4. Feels pretty natural.

I haven't tried number 2. Pretty sure I would have the same flexibility/mobility issues.

Can't see number two.

Don't be confused, just think about what the exercise is for.
And how to get yourself in the position to target the upper/mid back.

Look at the chin-up and see if you can spot the difference, especially how the scapula moves and the movement of the Humerus and how it engages the lats more effectively.

Both different and necessary for a healthy back.

Ive been doing wide grip, rowing at 45 degrees. I think i might change to a narrower grip to what that lady said where it targets the lats.

Go with what Ripp says or as close as you can get. Try to be as close to horizontal as possible while keeping a straight back and row with a full range of motion. Don't go so heavy that you're just doing a partial deadlift/shrug. Finally try not to overthink this too much.

I'll admit my own form isn't perfect. I don't/can't lower the bar to the floor or row at a perfect horizontal but I'm not too far off. I go pretty heavy and try to make it a fairly explosive movement and think that makes perfect form a bit difficult but I always use full ROM.

Fix time.

I used to do them as rip said breaking them from the floor but I changed to not letting them touch on markos' recommendation. Why?

You need shit strong lats for bench pressing to handle the biggest weight possible. Breaking the bar from a concentric position limits that severely, and the bench begins with an eccentric anyway.

there are few Different ways to row dumbell bar bell pulleys also standing on blocks or bench for that extra strech .