• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bash at the Beach 3

PTC

Some of you may know but for those that dont, my gym PTC holds lifting competitions throughout the year.

Australia Day is a 2 day event, Saturday is 5 lift comp and Sunday is a Strongman event, held on Australia Day long weekend.

Easter Strongman is just a 1 day Strongman event, held at easter.

Bash at the Beach is a 5 lift comp held in September. It will be held on the 19th this year.

The competitors are all just regular lifters, like you guys on here. I started these comps in 2007, long before PTC existed. We had 7 lifters at the first comp, will be 30 + this year.

No assistance gear is permitted, and the 5 lifts in order are.

Squat
Bench press
Powerclean
Overhead
Deadlift

Pretty standard. The overhead, the bar starts on the ground, the lifter then cleans the bar to his shoulders, then either presses, push presses or jerks the bar overhead.

I total the 5 lifts, punch the number into the Wilks calculator, add the lifters bodyweight, and it spits a score out.

the highest Wilks score wins. You dont have to be the guy with the biggest lifts to win, its off set by bodyweight.

Anyway, I thought I would extend my invitation to all lifters on this forum. I have 10 lifters flying in from interstate already. They are staying at my place and I have no more for others sorry.

I started these comps to get guys enthused about getting stronger. In the first year the biggest squat was 145kg and there was only one bench over 100kg. That was 2007.

Here are some of PTC's record boards currently.

Bench press Record Board at PTC

Spiros...........165kg
Simon...........160kg
Cameron.......160kg
Kelly.............155kg
Louie.............155kg
Tony.............150kg
Pat................146kg
James...........142.5kg
Nick..............140kg
Chris............140kg
Matt..............140kg
Nadir............140kg
Adam...........137.5kg
Jovi.............131kg
Travis..........122.5kg
Ryan............122.5kg
Alen.............120kg
Trish............120kg

Squat

Spiros – 215kg
Tony – 190kg
Pat – 190kg
Jovi – 187.5kg
Nick – 186kg
Chris – 182.5kg
Chris – 180kg
Louie – 181kg
James – 180kg

Deadlift

Tony – 265kg
Pat – 260kg
Louie – 255kg
James – 251kg
Spiros – 250kg

Kelly – 240kg
Simon – 240kg
Chris - 240kg
Nick – 230kg
Chris – 220kg
Brendon – 220kg
Jovi – 220kg

So I guess my plan worked. Lifters were hooked on strength and started lifting heavier weights.

I would really enjoy meeting forum members off here. Come and compete. Dont worry about winning, its all about self improvement.

My son Max totalled 450kg at Bash at the Beach 2, his first ever comp, less than 10 months later, he is up to 600kg.

One of the best motivational tools is competition. It works at PTC.

Its $30 to enter, you get a T Shirt and fed....well.

Any enquiries, contact me here or check out my website.

Kyle, you have to come to this.

Cheers

Markos

Sounds like fun. I fI have time off around Australia Day I may pop around for a look.

LOL.......you have no idea how often I hear that comment. I have over 200 clients interstate that bitch and moan about not being able to train at PTC. I even had to do an instructional DVD to demonstrate how we do exercises because PT's at their gyms have no idea what theyre talking about.

I sell diets and programs interstate and the guys were all stumped on what a snatch grip deadlift is, or a high pull etc, so we released "How we roll".

I've lost count how many reprints I had to do, I keep selling out.

Shrek and Poopoo are going to have to come for at least one comp, I guarantee you will love it.

The weekend before Carlton wins the Grand Final is the next comp, about 7 weeks away.

Done deal.

Geelong will lose one final, have to face St Kilda in Prelim, they will destroy each other, Carlton beats Bullies in soft Prelim, BANG, we backdoor the Saints in Grand Final.

Carlton do have the highest score against them by the way.

Powerlifting doesn't interest me in the slightlest. Whats the point of being the strongest when that specific strength doesn't equate to anything in real life. I'd prefer to look massive and be lean, about .0000001% of people care you can lift xxxkg... but 99% of people care about looking better, Whats the point!

Good luck with your comp though.

I'd prefer to look massive and be lean, about .0000001% of people care you can lift xxxkg... but 99% of people care about looking better, Whats the point!
You remind me of a guy at my gym. He says, "it's not about what you can lift, it's about what you look like you can lift." That kind of stumps me. By that reasoning, I should be happy if I looked like Arnold Squashenegger but was confined to a wheelchair.

The thing is that size and strength are connected. Sure, it's not a 1:1 thing. Maybe Albert is 100kg and can bench 100kg, while Barry is 90kg and can bench 110kg. But they will almost certainly both bench more than 70kg Charlie. If you want to get big you have to lift big. Not as big as a pure powerlifter, sure - but still big.

It's also a difficult thing to lift big, just as it's a difficult thing to climb a rock wall or run 400m under 1'00" or climb an eight foot wall or do the splits or dance really well or anything like that. It has little inherent value, except that it feels good to do something you couldn't do before, to push past what you thought were your physical limits.

It feels good to excel, even if what you're excelling at isn't that useful.

As well, it feels good to do a lot of work to get to that goal. We hear a lot of talk about how people like life to be push-button, instant gratification. But when you look around, what you actually see is people working hard to achieve things and enjoying it. It feels good to sweat with physical work or furrow your brows for mental work.

Excellence and hard work. You've got to respect that.

Powerlifting doesn't interest me in the slightlest. Whats the point of being the strongest when that specific strength doesn't equate to anything in real life. I'd prefer to look massive and be lean, about .0000001% of people care you can lift xxxkg... but 99% of people care about looking better, Whats the point!

Im guessing your not switched on about lifting comps or didnt read the post.

When was the last time you saw a powerclean at a powerlifting comp?

When was the last time you saw a clean and press at a powerlifting comp?

I started my 5 lift comps because I too dont like powerlifting comps.

I see you prefer bodybuilding to strength. Thats cool. I'm just not the type to oil myself up and dance in my underwear in front of strangers, Id rather have some functional strength to show for my effort.

Whatever floats your boat though.

theres the easter strongman comp for real world lifts. both comps cover all bases.....except bodybuilding

Im guessing your not switched on about lifting comps or didnt read the post.

When was the last time you saw a powerclean at a powerlifting comp?

When was the last time you saw a clean and press at a powerlifting comp?

I started my 5 lift comps because I too dont like powerlifting comps.

I see you prefer bodybuilding to strength. Thats cool. I'm just not the type to oil myself up and dance in my underwear in front of strangers, Id rather have some functional strength to show for my effort.

Whatever floats your boat though.
Let me make that a little clearer for you...

I meant 1RM strength in comps doesn't mean anything to me. I've never even bothered with my 1RM of any lift before.

I'm quite content going to my 'health spa' and busting my ass there, working toward beating my own personal lifting records much like your customers then setting new goals and working toward them, only difference is I want to do 3 sets of 8 reps, once I can do that, I move the weight up and work toward 3 sets of 8 reps again.

Strength comps & bodybuilding comps don't interest me, the only person I'm trying to beat is myself, and if I keep breaking my own strength records I'll remain as happy as a pig in shit.

theres the easter strongman comp for real world lifts. both comps cover all bases.....except bodybuilding
Remind me again which forum we're on? :cool:

I can see yur point Morgan, I know lots of guys who do that, and I think that by competeing against themselves they cant possibly set themselves up to fail. I mean hey if you dont mve up the weight this week yu can always try again next week.
But thats only if you have such tremendius drive to be so strict not to simply get comfortable with most of weights your lifting.
and it certainly depends on wot yur goals are.

I personally wont to get big but at the same time have at least a little something to show for the years of hard work Ive put in.
And honestly with all the amature Bodybuilders around the place most guys including myself dont really have a shit show.
At least with a lifting title or two under my belt in my weight class, I feel like all that time waisted in the gym away from my family and friends wasnt exactly for nthing. It all wasnt done just in a need to look good.
I think you can get to a certain point in a lifting career where you might ask yurself what am I doing this for. too me a dumb trophy or certificate is somthing I can put on a wall so my 13 y/o Son can see that drive and determination can be rewarded.

This may surprise you Morgan, but I never competed and hate competing. When I was coaching my brother in powerlifting in the early 90's, we would roll up at comps and he would win the 100kg class and he'd say to me" why dont you enter the 90kg class" I was stronger than him and my lifts were miles above the 90kg competitors, but competiotion has never interested me. My wife has 8 State and National powerlifting titles, I encourage her to enter, but its not for me.

My clients get extremely motivated when a comp approaches. You can feel the energy in the gym. They smash their PBs every session. Its why I have some really strong guys.

As far as reps go, my Strongman comps are all about reps.

Reps with bodyweight in the bench press - record is 27
Reps with 1.5 times bodyweight in the squat - record is 16
Reps with bodyweight in clean & press - record is 7

Now, even though I never competed and never will, I was extremely driven and got okay strength, even without competition.

These are my best lifts at 90kg

Bench press 165kg
Squat 205kg
Deadlift 212.5kg
Powerclean 107.5kg
Strict standing military press 102.5kg

So youre right, comps arent for everyone, I 100% agree with you, just make sure youre not entering for the right reasons.

Plenty of lifters at PTC are struggling and avoid comps for fear of being shown up by a 67kg 17yo putting there best squat overhead.

they need to compete.

Sorry, I forgot to mention some of my best rep lifts

Bench press 100kg x 17
Bench press 90kg x 22
Squat 60kg x 107
Squat 125kg x 20
Bench press 140kg x 8
Military press 90kg x 6
powerclean 90kg x 12

Just because someone has strong absolute strength (1RM) doesnt mean they dont have rep strength

I can see yur point Morgan, I know lots of guys who do that, and I think that by competeing against themselves they cant possibly set themselves up to fail. I mean hey if you dont mve up the weight this week yu can always try again next week.
But thats only if you have such tremendius drive to be so strict not to simply get comfortable with most of weights your lifting.
and it certainly depends on wot yur goals are.
My goals are to be constantly improving all my lifts and getting bigger, my family / friends have said the exact same thing you said poopoohead "Why are you working so hard and never going to compete?"

I am supremely motivated to train, I REALLY enjoy every minute I spend in the gym, it's safe to say it's my number 1 hobby, Today (Saturday) I have chest/triceps, I know exactly what weight I did last week and how many reps, I'll be busting my ass to beat my best from last week. :)

Markos: That makes it more interesting, some of the numbers are mighty impressive! From both you and your customers.

Hyjak: Don't interest me in terms of competeing. Although I could make the trip down to Frankston to watch some of it, although judging by the pics it appears quite limited for space, it's only 20 mins down the road afterall.

Not everyone is motivated by competing in comps. Like Markos said, some people need it. Me, if I enter something and I don't win I am shattered (reason why I refuse to play pool). But the person I can always beat is me, and no one places more judgement on me than myself, so I will always try to lift heavier, get out one more rep, etc.

Do your really see your time at the gym as a sacrifice poopoohead? Surely living a healthy life and exercising brings value to your family. Your kids care more about having a fit dad who can play with them than one that has a certificate.

Love to watch competitions though and seeing that amazing strength is motivation enough for me!

I hate training and the lifestyle attached to it, but I hate not training because I dislike how I look when I don't train.
Make sense??