• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

BB beginer program- Bench press

My old bb chest staple split was always something like this:
Flat bench press-work to a heavy triple or double then 3x10
Incline db press-3-5 sets of 8-12
Dips-3 sets to fail.

How many times a week where you doing this mate?

Did you have any other assistance work you found helpful?

I have found my chest has develped a lot more since i started a new routine with a mate ,i only ever did flat bench press and somtimes incline . Now i do 2 warm up sets 15 reps light weight then 5 sets on 1 weight you can only push for a max of 6-8 reps . do this on flat then do it on the incline , we use DB .
Finish off with a few DB flys and im pretty much sore the day after every chest session .

Superset your bench with push-ups til failure. As Rapey also said, dips will help your bench and overall chest development like nothing else.

How many times a week where you doing this mate?

Did you have any other assistance work you found helpful?

I used to train every bodypart 2-3 times a week depending on how often I could get to the gym. My splits were usually Chest/Back/Legs (with arms and shoulders interspersed as I saw fit) or Chest&Back/Shoulders&Arms/Legs.

I originally used all versions of bench press but dumped decline early in the piece. I did flat bench every chest session religiously. Always first. Heavy pullovers were also a common addition then I would sometimes add drop-sets on a chest machine as a finisher.

I used to train every bodypart 2-3 times a week depending on how often I could get to the gym. My splits were usually Chest/Back/Legs (with arms and shoulders interspersed as I saw fit) or Chest&Back/Shoulders&Arms/Legs.

I originally used all versions of bench press but dumped decline early in the piece. I did flat bench every chest session religiously. Always first. Heavy pullovers were also a common addition then I would sometimes add drop-sets on a chest machine as a finisher.

Thanks man...

Dumped decline early on also.. its a shit lift IMO...

Pull overs is not a move I currently use... I might toy with it and see how I feel about it....

Thanks man...

Dumped decline early on also.. its a shit lift IMO...

Pull overs is not a move I currently use... I might toy with it and see how I feel about it....

I use flyes sometimes as well... but they were always the first thing to be skipped. They were just fluff to me.

I use flyes sometimes as well... but they were always the first thing to be skipped. They were just fluff to me.

Lol... I flat out refuse to do flyes... Same reason...

Although if someone could offer a valid reason to do them I would...

Maybe for people with lagging chest development... Extra blood flow etc...

Lol... I flat out refuse to do flyes... Same reason...

Although if someone could offer a valid reason to do them I would...

Maybe for people with lagging chest development... Extra blood flow etc...

Extra light volume. Pec stretching. They're not useless but they're hardly integral either.

I think a lot of the answers here are way too complicated and based on more advanced trainers using split routines.

The OP is doing a 'BB Beginner Program', so I am assuming a whole body workout three times a week, not a split with a chest day.

I would say Yes you can alternate flat and incline benches on alternate workouts, would probably be the best option for a body building style beginners routine.

If you want do some dips and push ups on your rest days between main workouts if you are recovering well enough between workouts.

I think a lot of the answers here are way too complicated and based on more advanced trainers using split routines.

The OP is doing a 'BB Beginner Program', so I am assuming a whole body workout three times a week, not a split with a chest day.

I would say Yes you can alternate flat and incline benches on alternate workouts, would probably be the best option for a body building style beginners routine.

If you want do some dips and push ups on your rest days between main workouts if you are recovering well enough between workouts.

I think its more that they got a bit off topic than anything.