• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginners Chest Training Guide

jon

Beginners Chest Training Guide

Remember to warm up when starting a new exercise.One of the best ways to warm up your chest would have to be with a light press-up session

When lifting weights find a weight that will challenge you with resistance but will not force you to struggle. For these exercises you can use light dumbbells

[highlight]Dumbbell Bench Press:[/highlight] Lie down on a flat bench holding a set of dumbbells. With your feet, butt and shoulders firmly planted on the bench, lower the dumbbels until they touch the middle of your chest. Pause briefly at the bottom and then drive the weight back up to the starting position. The difference between this exercise and the chest press is the fact that you will NOT let your elbows flare out. They need to stay close to your sides the entire movement to fully target the triceps. Attempt 10-15 repetitions over 3-4 sets.

[highlight]Incline Bench Press:[/highlight] This exercise is very similar to the flat bench. The only difference between the [highlight]Incline Bench Press[/highlight] and a the [highlight]Flat Bench Press[/highlight] is the position of the bench, elevate the bench to a 45 degree angle and continue as above. Attempt 10-15 repetitions over 3-4 sets.

[highlight]Decline Bench Press:[/highlight] This exercise is very similar to the flat bench. The only difference between the [highlight]Decline Bench Press[/highlight] and a the [highlight]Flat Bench Press[/highlight] is the position of the bench, set the bench on a decline to about a 35 degree angle and continue as above. Attempt 10-15 repetitions over 3-4 sets.

[highlight]Push Ups:[/highlight] lie down on the ground with your face down. Keep your palms flat on the ground shoulder-width spaced out. Make sure that your feet are together, whereas legs and back should be straight.  
Look ahead and while you go down, try to touch the floor with your chin.
When you rise, try not to bend your back while you push up.
While going up, breathe out.
Take a pause and again repeat the course of action. . Attempt 10-15 repetitions over 3-4 sets.

[highlight]Incline Push Up:[/highlight] The same as above but ensure your hands and upper body are in an elevated position.

[highlight]Decline Push UP:[/highlight] The same as the normal straight push up above just remember to ensure your feet and legs are in an elevated position.

After all exercises are complete, always remember to do a full warm down of the muscles used in your routine. Warming down is still an essential part of training and does help to combat muscle strain.

Feet on the bench you say? No different for decline and incline you say? Excuse me while I go and practice that. I think it'll bring back memories of The Rotor ride at Luna Park, where you stick to the wall as the floor drops. I'll have to channel some of those skills to keep my feet on the bench.