• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Beginner's equipment

M

Maximus

Hey all,
I'm going to set up a home gym and would like some advice on quality equipment that would be most suitable to me.
I was looking at purchasing something like this 1 Package Deal _ Power Rack with high low pulley + ASFID bench + Olympic bar + 145kg Olympic weights $1450
then i thought that if i ever outgrew the racks capacity i would have to purchase another rack.
I'm starting to think it would be better to buy a cheap rack and purchase the rest of the stuff such as the bench, oly bar and weights in brands that will last me for a long time and once i think the rack has out lived its usefulness either make a rack to my specifications (my dad and friend both did welding) or purchase a higher quality rack that will meet my needs.
I wont be doing any high weights to begin with, at most 150-175kg within the first 6 months.
Thank you for any input you can give me.

I've got that rack, strong, stable, works well.

Personally I'm of the mind that you buy things once. Saves money in the long run.

Unless you're not sure that you'll stick with it. In that case either use a gym, or buy something cheap off gumtree. If you want to upgrade chances are you can sell it for roughly the same price that you bought it.

I've only got a flat bench for my rack, and I bought bumpers so they're the right height for deads/whatever else outside the rack.

EDIT: NVM. Thought it might be compatible with the Force USA cable crossover, but it's not.

No opinion on it personally, as I've stuck with a simple cheapy rack. Never experienced what the expensive ones are like.

Last edited:
I tried going to a gym a few years ago but i didn't like that i had to keep waiting to use certain equipment plus i like the idea of working out in my own home.
It would be far more effecient for me to buy the equipment since anyone in my family can also use the equipment which would make it worth buying the equipment.
Even if i stopped working out i have access to a large basement so storage is not an issue for me so i would never have to sell the equipment to free up space as alot of people seem to need to do.
Basically im thinking that it would be better to buy good equipment straight out rather than consider changing later on, the thing is though i don ever expect to be doing such a heavy weight that would be heavy enough to wreck the cage that i purchase so even a cheap one could possibly do the job for me.
I wrote something alot longer but i got prompted to write in my username and password again and lost everything that i typed.

the thing is though i don ever expect to be doing such a heavy weight that would be heavy enough to wreck the cage that i purchase so even a cheap one could possibly do the job for me.

Yet :)
You'll be kicking yourself if you need to upgrade to better equipment later on.

With a budget of $2000 what is recommended if i wanted to purchase a rack, oly bar, bumper plates and a bench?

ABC powerbar, muscle motion bumpers, force usa fly bench and probably muscle motion rack. I'd say for that budget

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I don't mean to derail OP's thread but I'm also setting up a home gym.

Just wondering if gym mats are required for a concrete garage and how many 1m tiles would be required?

I was thinking of buying 4 from bunnings @ $30ea to make a 2mx2m square which would go underneath the rack. And I'd do my deadlifts from inside the rack.

I don't mean to derail OP's thread but I'm also setting up a home gym.

Just wondering if gym mats are required for a concrete garage and how many 1m tiles would be required?

I was thinking of buying 4 from bunnings @ $30ea to make a 2mx2m square which would go underneath the rack. And I'd do my deadlifts from inside the rack.

Urban Fitness Supplies sells them for $27 each.

Gym Flooring

Tbh I don't think you will need anything more than a cyberfit or gymdirect package. For 2k you can easily squeeze in a pully for various rows and the dipping attatchment.

I would negotiate out some extra weights. 6-8 20's, 2 10's, 2 5's, 2 2.5's, 2 1.25's. And upgrade beyond their basic bar.

The only thing I wish I had beyond a basic power rack is a set of adjustable dumbells, but just too expensive.

Last edited:
Yeah if I was going to get some gear to use at home, I'd probably just go with a Cyberfit power rack/bench/bar/plate package. You can email them and get a quote for a custom package if you want.

I would get the LC2 rack, bar, flat/incline bench & 180kg weight set, plus some extra 20 kg plates.

LC2 Power Rack + 180KG Olympic Weight Set + Flat/Incline bench | | Cyberfit Gym Equipment

Also ask them to quote you for some rubber flooring.

I would then buy a second olympic bar, something like an Again Faster bar, for $329
https://au.againfaster.com/shop/barbells/20-kg-team-barbell-black/

edit: A while back I got a quote for 200kg worth of the cyberfit bumpers, bar, rack and bench and it was still around $2000 delivered, which is not bad at all.

Last edited:
In terms of suppliers apart from gymandfitness and gymdirect who should i be looking at?

Second hand all the way. you will grab some major bargains.

somethings i've got through ebay/gumtree

$400 - power rack, 150kg olympic plates, Oly bar, adjustable incline bench
Sold the plates for $225
$1000 - 150kg G2 Bumper plates, DHS comp bar, Trap Bar, + some other bits and pieces
$500 - 10-40kg dumbell set in increments of 2.5kg

Just be keep an eye out and u will get some great deals. in the mean time train at your local till you get the bits u need.

Im in Sydney, so if its anywhere in Sydney i can do pick up with my dad's truck.

Hey all I have been working 6 days a week for the past 3 months including through the holidays so I've saved up enough to increase my budget so I have a revised list of things I want to purchase and I just wanted some opinions.
Force USA Adjustable Olympic Bench System Combo $495
Muscle Driver Pendlay HD Olympic Bar 20kg $570
10kg Pendlay elite black bumper plate muscle driver $190.00
15kg Pendlay elite black bumper plate muscle driver $250.00
20kg Pendlay elite black bumper plate muscle driver $310.00
25kg Pendlay elite black bumper plate muscle driver $360
These prices are from gym and fitness and shipping is approximately $120 so the final price is about $2300
I should be placing an order in a weeks time and I just wanted to see if anyone would make any variations to the list.
These are the main things I want to buy and add as I learn/grow.

Last edited:
Hey all I have been working 6 days a week for the past 3 months including through the holidays so I've saved up enough to increase my budget so I have a revised list of things I want to purchase and I just wanted some opinions.
Force USA Adjustable Olympic Bench System Combo $495
Muscle Driver Pendlay HD Olympic Bar 20kg $570
10kg Pendlay elite black bumper plate muscle driver $190.00
15kg Pendlay elite black bumper plate muscle driver $250.00
20kg Pendlay elite black bumper plate muscle driver $310.00
25kg Pendlay elite black bumper plate muscle driver $360
These prices are from gym and fitness and shipping is approximately $120 so the final price is about $2300
I should be placing an order in a weeks time and I just wanted to see if anyone would make any variations to the list.
These are the main things I want to buy and add as I learn/grow.

I have bumper plates and my opinion on them is that unless you are going full on into Olympic lifting ( powercleans don't count) you are better off saving your cash for something else and getting normal plates.