• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Beginners guide to joining a gym

A

alca

Beginners guide
So you've decided to get fit and not sure what you should be looking for ? Hopefully this beginners guide will help shine a bit of light on deciding whether that gym is right for you. A little checking list to help you decide to join that health club, gym or leisure center.

When joining a fitness venue, you first need to seek out what what is on offer, and ask the right questions. Before joining ask for a day pass or for a trial membership, that way you can see if the ambiance suits you, if the facilities match yours needs,. are the staff attentive to your needs, and how crowded it gets.

Don't be conned into all those fancy "sign-up now" offers some gyms act likes used cars salesman and trying to palm off all sorts of things. Don't be forced into signing up on the spot no matter what sort of deals they offer, take your time read the fine print

You should be happy with gym, make sure that is right for you - if you aren't happy with the place and it doesn't suit you,, you simply won't go on regular basis meaning you have just wasted your money on signing up for membership.
Next are the questions that relate to your needs - some questions to ask yourself are:

• Is it close to home or work? easy to get to
  • Mode of transport (car, bus, bike,walk)
  • What facilities do I need? (such as classes, personal trainers, etc.)
  • What is my end goal what do I want to achieve? (aerobic fitness, weight loss.)
  • What times suits me? (mornings, evening, weekends?)
  • Do I want professional advice from a personal trainer? (for weights, nutrition, etc.)
  • How often will I go to the gym? (full time membership or pay per session?)
  • Does it have childcare?(haven't heard of gyms that offer childcare services but its worth checking out)
After you asked and answered questions about you , you can moved onto looking at the fitness center how it operates:

• What are it's opening hours?(open early,open late , open weekends , public holidays?)
  • Cost of the membership?
  • Is membership a monthly/quarterly or yearly contract?
  • Can i cancel my membership?
  • What about off-peak prices?
  • Does the fitness center have showers & changing facilities, if so how clean are they?
  • Are there qualified instructors on hand to offer assistance?
  • Do you run fitness classes?
  • Are classes included in the membership price or they an added extra?(one of those upsell used car salesman tactics)
  • What is available?(spa,sauna, steam room , massage maybe ?)
  • How busy does the gym get and at what times?

Last edited: