• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Being Silly buggers on the 45 Deg Leg Press. LOL

vader-nator

Hey gang,

I am training to be well these days but I was just looking at my old workout diaries from 10 years ago....... LOL

Silly buggers on the leg press. Knee wraps and every big plate in the place.

Has anyone had a leg press obsession and made kind of silly gains at it?

At one stage I was pressing 1300 LB for 10 full reps. (Not the dumb little 2 inch ROM lock outs that newbies kid themselves with.)
Pretty sure I was bench pressing my wrapped up knees as well. LOL

Way to brittle to get away with such dumb ego stroking silly buggers these days but having a bout of nostalgia.

Got any pics or footage of your own leg press experiments?

It was a real thing of mine back in the day.

Rob

I'm still a relative newb in terms of training I guess, my best leg press was sets of 450kg, then I'd jump over to squats and 150kg squat was harder so I lost interest in the leg press after that :)

You lifters with your squats altar. LOL

I can't do em any more. All the discs in my lower back are like a bunch of chewed jelly beans and some are touching my spinal cord. I have no reflexes with the little hammer test at all. Worse than Homer.

Christmas 02 was in hospital with lower back busted. Was told I may never be able to get full use in my legs and would not be able to work any more. I crawled around on all fours like a dog for 8 weeks. Then had to learn to walk again.
Never let doctors tell you it is over. My leg press crazies were a testiment to not only being fully ok again but being happy.

You cant train your discs. It's a real human design flaw.

I will leave the squatting to you guys. Just be kind to your spine.

If it were up to me I would never let anyone squat with more than 2 and a half to 3 plates. If you can do more weight then pre exhaust with other more protected exercises, slow it down or do more reps.

Discs are like little gel packs. Load em up a lot and there is a price.

my 50c

Last edited:
I am with Morgan, I got up to 400kg and now I don't leg press I only squat.

Vader, have you ever thought that maybe all that leg pressing has possibly messed up your discs? The way you sit in that machine your lower back really takes alot of the force whilst sitting in that seat. That is why I don't like Leg Press, it is all sitting right on your spine smashed back into the seat. Sure your sping gets loaded up with squats, but not sandwiched like that. You never see people doing 1400lbs with squats either.

I actually think that squats are better for your back than leg press.

Hey Josh,

Looks like we have become real life version your youtube vid. LOL

I'll be normal kid you be powelifter.

No, I was always a barbell only macho man back in the the early days.
I moved to leg press after many years of squats. Who knows maybee I have always had a crappy back.

I don't feel any pain or load in my back with 45 Degree LP. The pelvis is pushed firmly into the chair and anchored in place. The weak link of bendy muscles bones and innards of the mid section and back is bypassed, really just sitting there without much load at all.

All I know is that since my life changing back injury, I can still leg press without any pain. but for me squatting, any number of plates cauzes real savage injury pain. Perhaps its just me. I still do one plate 20 to 30 rep squats to end a workout but never under load.

What ever you do.... just make sure you do it to be well and happy.

Your back is soooo valuable to your life and such a weak link.

It's all fun and self preservation for me at this stage.

I am with Morgan, I got up to 400kg and now I don't leg press I only squat.

Vader, have you ever thought that maybe all that leg pressing has possibly messed up your discs? The way you sit in that machine your lower back really takes alot of the force whilst sitting in that seat. That is why I don't like Leg Press, it is all sitting right on your spine smashed back into the seat. Sure your sping gets loaded up with squats, but not sandwiched like that. You never see people doing 1400lbs with squats either.

I actually think that squats are better for your back than leg press.

Last edited:
It has always been too serious for me. I can not but become a different person when I train. So in a way Rob, I like to have what you have with that "fun" attitude in training. May be it was due to the way I started and the pressure that was placed on me to perform or face the consequences...who knows!

PS: please do not understand the above as being something negative; I get as much enjoyment as the next iron warrior, it's just achieved differently.

Fadi.

LOL

Back in the early 1990s the big guys were all wearing MC Hammer happy pants, Bum bags and bandanas. Little round sunnies and walkman. LOL

Clowns!!!

I always made sure to wear a nerdy star wars t-shirt and my use a bugs bunny or tweety bird towel. Was very upsetting for them when I would blow them away on some exercises.

Hee hee!

HAve fun!!!
;)

It has always been too serious for me. I can not but become a different person when I train. So in a way Rob, I like to have what you have with that "fun" attitude in training. May be it was due to the way I started and the pressure that was placed on me to perform or face the consequences...who knows!

PS: please do not understand the above as being something negative; I get as much enjoyment as the next iron warrior, it's just achieved differently.

Fadi.

Last edited:
Damn, I use to wear happy pants. I must admit they were comortable to train in.
I called them Dacing Pants" because they had plenty of ballroom.

LOL!!!!

Still got mine somewhere. Got some really cool fluro ones from that Vulcan Gladiator guy in a small bodybuilding supplies store in outer subs of Sydney. LOL

Was watching Suburban Commando Staring the one and only Hulk Hogan. He was wearing them.

The things we do!

LOL

Damn, I use to wear happy pants. I must admit they were comortable to train in.
I called them Dacing Pants" because they had plenty of ballroom.

There is one guy in my gym who presses all of the 20kg-22.5kg plates and then gets a couple of guys to sit on the leg press for extra weight. It's gotta be more than half a tonne!

My friend took a video on his phone I'll have to see if he can bluetooth it to me so I can upload it here.

That would be cool. LOL
Crazy!!

There is one guy in my gym who presses all of the 20kg-22.5kg plates and then gets a couple of guys to sit on the leg press for extra weight. It's gotta be more than half a tonne!

My friend took a video on his phone I'll have to see if he can bluetooth it to me so I can upload it here.

Hey gang,

I am training to be well these days but I was just looking at my old workout diaries from 10 years ago....... LOL

Silly buggers on the leg press. Knee wraps and every big plate in the place.

Has anyone had a leg press obsession and made kind of silly gains at it?

At one stage I was pressing 1300 LB for 10 full reps. (Not the dumb little 2 inch ROM lock outs that newbies kid themselves with.)
Pretty sure I was bench pressing my wrapped up knees as well. LOL

Way to brittle to get away with such dumb ego stroking silly buggers these days but having a bout of nostalgia.

Got any pics or footage of your own leg press experiments?

It was a real thing of mine back in the day.

Rob

So are you saying dont use knee wraps?

MD

1320 Lb including the foot plate

All my weights came from an old foundry called Samson Barbells. (Long since gone.)
On average the big plates actually weigh around 55 to 56Lb each not 50Lb as stated.

The leg press itself has a massive custom 1m square footplate that is 12mm thick. I have tested the actual resistance of the foot plate to be 220Lb with no plates on it.

55Lb x 20 = 1100
Plus foot plate = 220

TOTAL = 1320 Lb

2.2 lb per KG

1320/ 2.2 = 600KG

That will go down as a life time best.

Great to have it on video.:):):)

NOTE:
On a normal gym press with regular foot plate and accurate 20kg plates, it would be around 26 to 28 plates or 12 to 14 per side
Hence the term silly buggers on the leg press.

How many KG is that? 400?

Last edited: