• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Benchpress Grip

C

Clarkie

I was listening in on PT and her student that were doing incline bench presses just near me the other day at the gym. I overheard her tell this young guy "never curl your thumbs around the bar". Why is this? I was going to ask her at the time but I didn't think it was very appropriate for me to interrupt their session.

I always wrap my thumbs around the bar when doing bench presses. What's the difference?

Suicide grip.
One day the guy will lift heavy and get tired and hape slippery palms and the bars gonna drop on his neck and decapitate him.

Then he can go sue the PT for giving him that advice.

I use the thumless grip when I know I'm within my limits, feels better.
But, would never use it when pushing my limits.
So to say "never curl your thumbs around the bar" is just bad advice.

There are plenty of Youtube clips of the bar crushing peoples necks and chest from accidents using this grip because they tried to lift heavy.

I saw one of those bench press accidents... I was scared its seeing stuff like that that makes me wanna train in a gym. At least they can call an ambulance id hate to go out like that traped under a barbell.

It is because of these accidents that I'm scared of using the bench press without a spotter, or without using a machine. So I generally hit my chest in a 'safer' way (especially at home):

Incline dumbbell press,
dumbbell flyes
push-ups

It is because of these accidents that I'm scared of using the bench press without a spotter, :

Incline dumbbell press,
dumbbell flyes
push-ups

that is why you have the power rack / cage.

I do not use flat bench pressing anymore I find them dangerous , too many tear pacs around....

Not a fan of the "Suicide Grip". I do not see any reason for it even with a spotter.. Also if you train alone set the pins on the power rack just above chest line so you cannot hurt yourself if you fail.

I tried it while I was at the gym today (yesterday now). It was so uncomfortable and really made me feel uneasy. I really felt I was on the verge of dropping the bar by the 3rd rep and quickly reverted back to the normal grip.