• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Best power rack? OPINIONS PLEASE

kotchi

Sup guys,

Hoping that there are some Ausbrah's out there to help me figure this out (or anyone who knows what Australia can get a hold of). Been looking through threads for a good 2 days and still can't decide.

I'm pretty much after the best power rack I can get with $1000-1500. Given i don't have heaps of room in my garage, i can't get a commercial one unless it somehow isn't a monster in size.

- I'd ideally like it to have a quality upper/lower pulley attachment <-- quite important
- A good pull-up/chin-up bar
- Possibly a dip attachment

I know i'm looking for a lot in 1 piece of equipment, but i don't have much choice, once I get the rack, my available garage space is no more.

Based on the research I have done, one option that seems available to me is the powertec power rack. It actually would work quite well given that the new safeties don't require as much room when being interchanged.
However, my only issue with this is that i see there is some negative views on its pull up bars, and also, after watching this, i'm not sure if the pulley is high enough, it looks like he can't fully extend sometimes (for what it's worth, im 6'1"). Also, i noticed an issue at 5:40 when he did some curls, but I think i'm just getting a bit picky.

[youtube]LNWhX7m8A10[/youtube]

ANYWAY, i know the powertec power rack exists, can you guys tell me if there is something else i should consider, or if that is probably my best bet.

And sorry for being so picky, but being a uni student, $1500 is a fair bit for me to spend on something, so it needs to suit me perfectly.

Why don't you read the 10 million other threads on powertech vs muscle motion.

If your on a tight budget I can recommend a decent budget rack.

Why don't you read the 10 million other threads on powertech vs muscle motion.

If your on a tight budget I can recommend a decent budget rack.

I have, but i'm not comparing specifically those two, i'm looking for suggestions on any power rack. On most the the threads i've read, most people are indifferent to the lat tower attachment, making their comparisons only somewhat relevant. For me, given my space, that's actually a major deciding factor for me.

I've got the MMPR with the high and low pulley. Highly recommended it. l didnt buy the dip attatchment for it so l cant comment on that though.

Btw, I'm looking for a very similar solution to you, and i'm either going for the powertec, or for the body solid club rack from gymdirect...

I vote powertec because that was the path I chose after seeing/testing both racks.

However, the MMPR is decent.

Both the powertec and the MMPR have similar footprints, similar gauges of steel, Powertec's bolts have backing plates MMPRs dont, MMPR has better chin up bar, powertec has better dips. Lat tower goes to powertec for 2 rails rather than square tube set up but I have heard no complaints about the MMPR lat option from anyone.

MMPR is cheaper. And gymdirect do fantastic deals.

TBH, You won't regret purchasing either one.

Has anyone tried the body solid pro club rack? ... AusBB price is $1200 according to hulk, which puts it in a different price category, but it does look more 'commercial' than the MMPR or the powertec...

Does lack a dip option however.

Has anyone tried the body solid pro club rack? ... AusBB price is $1200 according to hulk, which puts it in a different price category, but it does look more 'commercial' than the MMPR or the powertec...

Does lack a dip option however.

Carsalesman and real estate agents must hate you, youmust be the most indecisive shopper in the world. Have you ever just gone fuck it that'll do and bought something?

Carsalesman and real estate agents must hate you, youmust be the most indecisive shopper in the world. Have you ever just gone fuck it that'll do and bought something?

In all fairness, when you're spending in excess of 1000 and are a student meaning you don't have a full time job, indecisiveness can be justified, otherwise you may end up stuck with something that doesn't suit your needs 100% and don't have any way to remedy the situation

I vote powertec because that was the path I chose after seeing/testing both racks.

However, the MMPR is decent.

Both the powertec and the MMPR have similar footprints, similar gauges of steel, Powertec's bolts have backing plates MMPRs dont, MMPR has better chin up bar, powertec has better dips. Lat tower goes to powertec for 2 rails rather than square tube set up but I have heard no complaints about the MMPR lat option from anyone.

MMPR is cheaper. And gymdirect do fantastic deals.

TBH, You won't regret purchasing either one.

Fortunately, I found out it will be VERY easy to attach the MMPR chin up bar to the powertec rack (will only cost 45 for the chin up bar and ~5 for the additional materials.)

Actually they love me... I research for ages and then i just walk in and spend loads more cash than intended on the spot :) - Spent about $900 at ironedge on 'fun' stuff like kettlebells (16,24,32,40), wrestlers bags (8 & 12), a 15kg dead ball and other odds and ends on the weekend :)

I've decided on everything but the rack... problem is that the space i have available says powertec... but having seen a few similar weight racks, I'd just really like something heavier if i could... (hence considering the body solid club rack).

If i had the space, especially ceiling clearance, i'd probably just bite the bullet and buy the iron edge assault rack (if i had my own place, I'd buy the matrix and bolt it to the floor), felt excellent in person, rock solid confidence.

although, having decided to work more on the form of my squats and the weight shrinking dramatically, perhaps i could do with a couple of boxes :) lol.

Took my dad 4 years to buy a boat. We named it Just Lookin'. Lol

I am not sure a person training by themself needs a rack heavier than the Powertec. Depends alot on how badly you will abuse it. Doing squats and presses out of it and it will last for years unless you get stupid. If you decide to do rack pulls make some blocks. Breaking equipment does not make you either strong or smart... just poorer.

oh, i'm sure it will last... I just want to 'feel' confident about it when i'm racking a squat (admittedly those are getting lighter since im trying to go a lot deeper, so no risk there for a while), or doing a pullup with my 110kg's :)

I want it to 'feel' solid and robust.

I have a garage that is a total of 4m long, however i have 2.8-3m usable space between where the garage door opens into the space and items stored at the back of the garage (the bar will go end to end along this side) there is more space at each end to 4m total, so plenty of room to load plates, but the bar movements need to be within that 2.8m width.

The garage is 2.54m wide, this would be the maximum depth (front to back) for the power rack including room for any plate storage at the rear, set back to allow for 20kg plates on the bar and space to remove safeties from the rack, deadlift & overhead press in front of the rack. (hence the MM commercial rack isn't usable, not enough space to remove the safeties)

The garage has a sloping ceiling (from the garage door to the back, highest at front) with beams across in both directions, the lowest beams run across the garage (ie they are 2.54m long), the one closest to the door is at approx 2.35m, the other, further one in at approx 2.22m from the ground, they are approx 1.55m apart, the intent is that the rack would sit between these.

(these also mean the highest point the bar can reach is 2.22m high, which by my rough measurements is probably _just_ enough for overhead press (I'm 6'1") (if not i'll just need to do that outside the garage)

the beams that sit above these, (4m in length) are at their lowest point in that 1.55m area 2.33 m from the ground, there are two of these and i may be able to position a rack with a single high point (like the body solid) in front of one of these

The ceiling (corrugated iron so it varies slightly up and down) is approx 2.50-2.55m from the floor)

As well as fitting the rack in, i need to be able to actually assemble it in this space as well (ie i'll need to get the uprights past the lower points to actually get them into place)

I have a room inside with high ceilings, roughly 3.1 m square, but it has polished wooden floors and its a rental, so dead lifts would be out there, and i'd even be worried about other movements (the floor in that room is also notably not entirely level, i had to put a fair adjustment on the feet of my exercise bike to make it solid)

Last edited:
oh, i'm sure it will last... I just want to 'feel' confident about it when i'm racking a squat (admittedly those are getting lighter since im trying to go a lot deeper, so no risk there for a while), or doing a pullup with my 110kg's :)

I want it to 'feel' solid and robust.

I don't know why you think the powertec rack can't handle 200kg squats... Its rated for 1000lbs.

My 150kg squats cause it no problems.

I weigh 106kg and the rack is very stable when doing pullups.

Here is a guy doing 135kg squats in the older model rack:

[ame=http://youtu.be/n3ooBA_n_NA]rory cubitt form check full squats 3x135kg - YouTube[/ame]

And Lee Priest doing dips on the older model:

[ame=http://youtu.be/pCnVSwTxia8]Lee Priest - Dips on the Powertec Power Rack - YouTube[/ame]

Even the MMPR only has a slight wobble with the dip attachment I don't personally like:

muscle motion power rack dip attachment - YouTube

But if you like the Iron Edge assault rack then get it; else you may always wonder what if....