• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Blood Donation and weights.

hodgeyhodgey

Has anyone here donated blood before, or regularly donates? I donated for the first time yesterday and am just wondering how long I should wait before hitting the weights again.

My sister currently works as a blood collector and said that I may still bruise or do something worse if I train today.

Thoughts?

I've trained a few hours later without any problems.
Just make sure to have a good feed after donating ,before training.

I donate whenever they'll let me, which is usually around every 60 days... I usually make sure it falls on an easy day, but mostly because I'm paranoid about the puncture site. By the next day it should be sufficiently healed you can go back to whatever.

Also, I donate plasma & platelets as often as possible (for people with immune deficiencies & cancer, etc.), and for this I usually take a day off completely, but it's a longer process and really kinda takes it out of me.

what about impacts on conditioning? I've never given blood (i know, i know) for fear that if i do it will negatively impact on my training on the bike - i take very few breaks from racing and when i do it's to recover so handing over a big chunk of my blood doesn't really gel well with that idea :\

interested to know how hard it will hit me and for how long...

It'll affect your endurance of course, your body is working to replenish what you've given. It depends on your body, but it could take a day or two to get back to your normal self.

Eat & drink a little more that day and just play the next scheduled workout by ear.

With plasma, they give you saline, which makes it a lot easier to recover. Especially if you're drinking a lot of water, too. It's just like being slightly dehydrated for a few hours.

If you find donating blood is too taxing on you, try the plasma... it's needed just as much.

I give blood every 3 months and have never had a problem with training on the same day.

If you usually feel dizzy or light headed after giving blood then maybe give it a miss.

I dont feel any different after i give blood so i have never done anything differently.

Make sure you eat well have drink a shit tonne of water and you will be good.

Yeah I decided to take the day off, paranoid about bursting a vain or something thanks to the stories my sister has told me haha will get back into it tomorrow.

you wont burst a Vein!

I inject medication into my veins before every workout and have never had a problem with bursting a vein or it opening back up.

in regards to the recovery, as the others have said, eat and drink plenty of water and you should be fine, or plan to give blood before your rest day.