• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Body Weight training to get fit

Jchiller

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTGBZldqR-I]Bar Brothers Workout Sydney Australia - YouTube[/ame]

here is a video, 4 months of body weight training. it worked fast in helping me get fit and strong. i still need to improve the exercises and would like to add some more size to my physique without looking too bulky. any good training/diet tips to achieve this? thanks.

hence why iv asked for advice.
i have different goals than a body builder, and this physique suits the sports and activities i do.

I don't expect you'll be able to add more size unless you're prepared to undertake a weights program.

What are your thoughts?

my ultimate goal is to be slightly bigger than i am now whist still remaining a lean as possible. i also still want to be able to do all these exercises with better form and more reps.
you think theres no way i can add size unless i use weights?
what about just diet.
i do muscle ups, lots of pull ups, press ups, dips. what if i added weight to these exercises, for example get some ankle weights or a weighted vest?

Just eat more food. plenty of protein. until you gain more weight. if you arn't gaining weight. eat more food.

So long as your trying to do more reps you should grow.

slightly.

I'm not sure that putting on weight will help you all that much with your monkeying around tho.

Cool vid. I LOVE that park.

Size is totally based on how much you consume vs how much you expend. If you want to gain strength then eat a bit above maintenance cals. You will gain a little bit of fat most likely but easy enough to lose.

As you clearly like pullups etc why not just buy a weight belt & a few plates and do that. I mix up heavy weighted pullups/chins with higher rep bw stuff all the time.

One other thing is to try and get those muscle ups without the kip. That is a definite strength builder.

You just need to lift more weight - the exercises you're doing now, but with weight added, will do that.

After a certain point (ie the point you're at) bodyweight exercises fail to add size. Look at the weights bigger guys lift. They are simply stronger.

You could probably jump on a bench and bench around 100kg now (maybe not... maybe more). If you got to 150kg, or weighted dips + 50kg, your chest/triceps would be a lot bigger.

You can get bigger with bodyweight training it is just less efficient and therefore slower. Keep working on controlling your technique and making your exercises more difficult, especially the muscle ups as JZ pointed out. Eat more than you expend and you will grow, same rules for someone in the gym.

thanks for the help.
i might try a program for a few months that has a combination of calisthenics and exercises with heavier weights. I'm going to attempt to eat larger amounts of carbs as well. in the past i have been on higher protein, low carb diet to try drop my bf % I'm realising this isn't going to help me gain much size. i am still relatively new to this but keen to make progress. cheers

thanks for the help.
i might try a program for a few months that has a combination of calisthenics and exercises with heavier weights. I'm going to attempt to eat larger amounts of carbs as well. in the past i have been on higher protein, low carb diet to try drop my bf % I'm realising this isn't going to help me gain much size. i am still relatively new to this but keen to make progress. cheers

Again KFG will ask. What sports are you currently playing that this type of exercise helps?

You just need to lift more weight - the exercises you're doing now, but with weight added, will do that.

After a certain point (ie the point you're at) bodyweight exercises fail to add size. Look at the weights bigger guys lift. They are simply stronger.

You could probably jump on a bench and bench around 100kg now (maybe not... maybe more). If you got to 150kg, or weighted dips + 50kg, your chest/triceps would be a lot bigger.

Unless he is a lot taller (and hence, by proportion, bigger) than he looks, I doubt it.

VERY much doubt it

i play field hockey, basketball and do motocross. all these sports you can't be to big and you need good core strength and endurance. getting strong lats with all the pull ups is key for power in hockey as well.

i play field hockey, basketball and do motocross. all these sports you can't be to big and you need good core strength and endurance. getting strong lats with all the pull ups is key for power in hockey as well.

Missing that whole hip strength and power thing without leg training.

Last edited:
If you think that staying small amd having good endurance will help you for basketball, you're playing it wrong.

Dave, you of all people should know that power for running, jumping and hitting things comes from upper body strength only ;)