• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bro Science

I currently use Urban Muscle Platnium Blend (97% protein), which is not too bad. For me the biggest thing with a protein shake is just taste and texture so I actually want to drink it.
FFS unless its a RAW material....%97 protein is nearly impossible. It would taste like chalk.....slap yourself for getting marketed

..as apposed to a higher carb to protein mix.

Eg.

This is the one I currently have - http://www.adastreet.com.au/content/cms/PlatinumBlend/2745

This is the one I had before - *MAX ON

Last edited:
Apart from taste and amount of protein what makes one better than the other anyway?

Very, very little in my understanding.

This is pretty much what Shrek was getting at before he got flamed.

Especially considering that most manufacturers get their protein from Fonterra, which is the same type that you can buy in bulk very cheaply.

If people prefer one brands flavour to another and they don't mind paying a premium for taste, then that's their prerogative.

Personally, if I had the choice of paying $15/kg for one flavoured protein or $30/kg for another, i know which one i'd be taking.

But that's just my 2c

Wrong on two counts

Shrek was flamed cause he inferred that my product had some bs formula....in the past over it. What i was writing before he closed the thread was that i would be happy to send him free shit before his next meet even just to show im not bs'ng

Raw materials
Quality of the raw materials put into the product? Is it NZ whey or is it Chinese or American whey?

The actually flavouring system....how he flavours are made. Its not as simple as chucking a heap of cocoa into a protein mix to make it taste like choc. Its cheaper to use other ingredients' to make it taste like choc instead of using cocoa. For example....i think big mac sauce is comprised of something like 60+ ingredients'...when the reality is that it just tastes like eggs and mayo lol

The big one nowadays is filler. Filler is used to make weight or bind the product together. If your protein is allegedly %90 protein you have to account for flavouring which is usually around %10. Thats not including the other ingredients' thats put in it to make the product....so how does that work? Reality is Guar gum and lecithin are used to make the product cheaper thus you get less protein per serve - but why are u still payin so much??? An easy way to figure out how bad a product is is the bloating post ingestion

If its your choice to drink whey from its raw material base then all the more power to you!

Last edited:
Not as many as CAPO lifters due to the stigma of supplement tainting

Minh Nguyen
Aaron Nutt
Matthew Middleton
Anne Riley
Tim Germanchis
Linh (dancelot)

Im pretty sure all the winners on Sundays Novice Comp got a shake and take
20 Shake and Takes = 20 Banned PA lifters? Ohhhhhhh really :p

I drove 16 hours (back and forth) to Fortus Adelaide to give them nearly 20kgs of free product in order to promote my brand and promote powerlifting in SA - oops i promoted PA?

Some people seem to slam me for prices by comparing it to totally different products (DUH). Some people tell me im an idiot for helping promote PA.

Providing a quality product and helping our sports grow is my vision...

Just checking :p
I shot through an email through your site regarding your mass gain powder but still no reply so I'll ask here
Any flavor? Only ask cos the coffee whey is terrible in an oat shake lol

Ive only got it in Choc....but the choc in the mass gainer is the best choc flavour ive ever had (better than the sustain)

be careful if ur allergic to nus because its has an EFA element. It has an LSA mix blended through thought it aswell as the oatmeal

Ahh ok, makes sense.

I've starting using Protein Direct WPI, tastes good, reasonably cheap, never had any bloating or anything like that. It's NZ whey.

I haven't noticed a huge difference in recovery since I started using it, but I eat lots of meat, eggs, and milk anyway. If beef jerky didn't have so much salt I would just eat 400grams of that a day lol.

Is there any difference between WPI and WPC?

Do you sell small samples of your stuff Gawain?

EDIT:

Very, very little in my understanding.

Yeah, I've heard Rip say to just buy the cheapest whey you can stomach. TBH I'm not even sure I need a protein powder yet but with all the milk I drink it's nice to have something different.

Last edited:
More my opinion talking in respect to WPC vs WPI....

I dont think id pay nearly double the price for an extra 20-30mins of recovery...

I dont sell samples....PM me your address ill GIVE you some

Pistach, I think you and I are out of our league here.

Gawain knows his shit, its his job.

Shrek fucked up, simple. He knows not what he speaks.

The guys that take Total Science are not just regular gym junkies, they are World and National competitors.

That may not mean much to gym rats, but it does to my guys.

Only gym rats have brought up price so far

Lifters bring up results

I am biased, as all my family take this stuff, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

But does anyone really believe that I would buy crap for my wife and kid?

When I started at Dolphins, they had a sponsor selling protein to the boys, I wont name the brand as its unfair.

One by one the boys switched over. The other brand has gone. It was $30 cheaper than Gawains.

The players seriously believed that Gawains protein had a banned substance in it. lol, it has 4

Wrong on two counts

Shrek was flamed cause he inferred that my product had some bs formula....in the past over it. What i was writing before he closed the thread was that i would be happy to send him free shit before his next meet even just to show im not bs'ng

Raw materials
Quality of the raw materials put into the product? Is it NZ whey or is it Chinese or American whey?

The actually flavouring system....how he flavours are made. Its not as simple as chucking a heap of cocoa into a protein mix to make it taste like choc. Its cheaper to use other ingredients' to make it taste like choc instead of using cocoa. For example....i think big mac sauce is comprised of something like 60+ ingredients'...when the reality is that it just tastes like eggs and mayo lol

The big one nowadays is filler. Filler is used to make weight or bind the product together. If your protein is allegedly %90 protein you have to account for flavouring which is usually around %10. Thats not including the other ingredients' thats put in it to make the product....so how does that work? Reality is Guar gum and lecithin are used to make the product cheaper thus you get less protein per serve - but why are u still payin so much??? An easy way to figure out how bad a product is is the bloating post ingestion

If its your choice to drink whey from its raw material base then all the more power to you!

I never inferred that from what he wrote, I think you took his comment the wrong way honestly.

I have nothing against people wanting to make a living, and I'm sure your protein is good quality, no doubt.

Just briefly with regards to your other points:

Raw materials: Fonterra (so NZ whey)
Flavouring: Cocoa
Fillers: None, this is all I use. Buy unflavoured protein and flavour myself.

I could buy it combined for about $17/kg, but I don't actually flavour the protein all that often. This also requires me to buy 20kgs at a time, however, so the two aren't directly comparable.

However, my basic view on protein is this:

There is no discernable difference worth paying extra for if the %protein is comparable. It's only meant to be to fill the gaps anyway, not be your main source of protein. Again, if people want to pay more for better tasting stuff, or protein they perceive to be higher quality, then go for it, personally i just buy the cheapest stuff i can find.

Last edited:
Just giving my 2c PTC, not challenging Gawain or his protein. Like i said, people can feel free to buy whatever the fuck they want.

Do you honestly believe though that the choice of protein powder affects performance though?? I gotta admit, I find that part a bit hard to swallow..

I never inferred that from what he wrote, I think you took his comment the wrong way honestly.

I have nothing against people wanting to make a living, and I'm sure your protein is good quality, no doubt.

Just briefly with regards to your other points:

Raw materials: Fonterra (so NZ whey)
Flavouring: Cocoa
Fillers: None, this is all I use. Buy unflavoured protein and flavour myself.

I could buy it combined for about $17/kg, but I don't actually flavour the protein all that often. This also requires me to buy 20kgs at a time, however, so the two aren't directly comparable.

However, my basic view on protein is this:

There is no discernable difference worth paying twice the price for. If the %protein is comparable, then buy the cheaper one. It's only meant to be to fill the gaps anyway, not be your main source of protein. Again, if people want to pay more for better tasting stuff, or protein they perceive to be higher quality, then go for it, personally i just buy the cheapest stuff i can find.

I said he inferred not you although maybe your right man.....if i was wrong as a gentleman id apologize.

Anyway!

Ofcourse if i was choosing between Bulk WPI and Bulk WPI youd choose the cheaper one - but see even then id be cautious who im getting it front as someone said before anyway can just slap wahtever they want in a bag. bviously as a consumer your going to continue to purchase off someone reputable. Respectfully to other companies...id stil worry whom i purchase from.

Thanks Pistachio!

The protein I get costs $80 for 2.5kg of WPI. Say I have 60grams of it with a litre of milk after training, that ends up costing $1.90 three times a week. If a cheaper brand ends up costing $1 a drink three times a week but it tastes like shit or I have to spend time mixing in cocoa then I don't mind the extra cost.

I didn't notice a decrease in recovery times or anything when I started taking protein, but I also started on Sheiko at the same time so there are too many variables there.

Do you honestly believe though that the choice of protein powder affects performance though?? I gotta admit, I find that part a bit hard to swallow..

In some cases....it can be...as far fetched as it seems. It can, it will and it will continue to so long as someone is looking to make a quick buck.

I had the exact same chat 2 weeks ago on this topic funnily enough :)

Its just I prefer to buy stuff from people I trust.

Its no different at the market, same butcher, same grocer etc

I'm a very, very loyal person, and its a trait I value most in people.

I prefer to buy stuff from people I trust, regardless of the cost.

Some dont. Some find it funny I have never bought anything off ebay, and I'm pretty sure I never will. Its the way I am.

Wrong on two counts

Raw materials

My God. I
said this
That's mighty expensive protein.

Must be some secret formula.. :rolleyes::D

I got 20kg WPI for $330 delivered for free. Unflavoured.
I said it tongue in cheek, but then you got defensive.

Pistach, I think you and I are out of our league here.

Gawain knows his shit, its his job.

Shrek fucked up, simple. He knows not what he speaks.

The guys that take Total Science are not just regular gym junkies, they are World and National competitors.

That may not mean much to gym rats, but it does to my guys.

Only gym rats have brought up price so far

Lifters bring up results

I am biased, as all my family take this stuff, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

But does anyone really believe that I would buy crap for my wife and kid?

When I started at Dolphins, they had a sponsor selling protein to the boys, I wont name the brand as its unfair.

One by one the boys switched over. The other brand has gone. It was $30 cheaper than Gawains.

The players seriously believed that Gawains protein had a banned substance in it. lol, it has 4
How did I fuck up.??? Now your making out that it is some super duper protein and the guys thought it had a banned substance, Give me a break.

Do you want some Post Cycle Therapy with that.

I cannot see any ingredient that warrants the heft price tag. For that matter brands like Horelys, Musashi, Balance and a shit load others do not warrant the hefty price tag either.

I'm not saying TS protein is no good, I'm just saying it is not value for money.

It comes with old age Adrian
cb64f125-76ef-4281.jpg

Cheers,
Grampa Simpson always brings a smile to my face. :D