• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Broken Collar Bone

dkthunder

I'd snapped my collar bone about 3 years back and had surgery resulting in an additional metal plate to my collar bone.
I've regained majority of my flexibility back since then but wonder whether by pushing heavier weight I could damage it again.
Has anyone faced similar problems with their collar bone injuries?

I'd snapped my collar bone about 3 years back and had surgery resulting in an additional metal plate to my collar bone.
I've regained majority of my flexibility back since then but wonder whether by pushing heavier weight I could damage it again.

See a Physio or sports doc. They will tell you.

I think so because the damage has been done. You can still push heavier weights BUT be very careful now. Your physiotherapist will tell you what movements are limited and what are allowed.

I'm not a doctor so don't take this as any official medical advice...

You should be fine.

The metal plate used will be only to keep the bone pieces in place so they can heal without moving. So it's not so much a matter of you still having hardware in you, but if the bone has healed. 3 years should be ample time for a fracture to heal strong enough to lift heavy things.

Don't see a physio about it unless you are concerned with flexibility as bone fractures are simply not what they deal with. If you want to make sure see a sports doc for advice or your original surgeon will be even better.

I went through the same, broke collar bone then ankle, the bone is as good as new in 6 months, the plate(s) there only to keep it in plave while healing. I had mine removed because I didnt like feeling it through the skin, and in winter it got realy cold and could feel it even more.
Just be carefull with the tendoens, as you know they need to be strecthed back out to their original length slowly. So be smart there, but you do not need to worry about damaging the bone, unless you drop the barbell on it.

Let me clear it out to you guys that a once broken bone is already prone to fractures repeatedly. As a matter of fact, a healed broken bone could even be much stronger compared to what it was before because of added mineralization during the bone repair process so you don;t have to worry about it being weakened because it isn't the case. However, this would not mean that you would push beyond your limits. The best thing to do is ti lift with awareness of how your body reacts to the weights your lifting.