• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Building a stronger squat

HumBug

So, basically I still have a weak squat, all my other lifts are progressing well apart from my squat, so instead of doing back squats 3 times a week I would try one day back squats one day overhead squats and one day front squats. Would this be effective in strengthining my back squat?, or should I more focus on doing core excersizes as this is were I feel I'm lacking

What sort of squat are you doing? where do you find you get stuck in the squat? how do you train your squat?

I do barbell back squats 3x8, I get stuck after I push up a little and then it starts to turn into a good morning

Sounds like you suck in the lower part of your squat.

If your on a beginner program I'd just keep slogging at it. Get your bench over 100 and your deadlift over 180 and see where your squat ends up.

When you're an intermediate try more hamstring work - box squats, RDLs or good mornings which will give you more strength coming out of the hole.

Sometimes just thinking "chest up" as you come out of the hole helps, but that depends on how much of a good morning you've got going on.

So, basically I still have a weak squat, all my other lifts are progressing well apart from my squat, so instead of doing back squats 3 times a week I would try one day back squats one day overhead squats and one day front squats. Would this be effective in strengthining my back squat?, or should I more focus on doing core excersizes as this is were I feel I'm lacking

You need to start again, but this time progress slower.

Quite simple.
Don't start fucking around with variations.

sounds like you have weak quads, and Glutes. Do 3x a week front squats for 4 weeks.

I suggest doing back squats on a lower weight... then increasing as you get better. Obviously you're doing too much too soon. Start on say 60kgs and go for full ass to grass squats. Once you got those down, pack on more plates.

I suggest doing back squats on a lower weight... then increasing as you get better. Obviously you're doing too much too soon. Start on say 60kgs and go for full ass to grass squats. Once you got those down, pack on more plates.

This is a good plan. But use a weight that enables perfect form.

Don't progress until you own that weight, stop when form breaks down.

This is an exercise that needs to be treated with respect.

Did some front squats with 80kg today, was easy, but my wrists are sore lol. I try to keep them on my shoulders as much as possible, but sitll a bit sore lol. Definitely noticed not much pressure on my back as much as normal squats.

I just started doing squats for the first time, front squats as i dont have rack, i notice in the last few reps, i feel im leaning forward, any tips for the front squat?

Should i find an increase in weight when i start back squats?

I just started doing squats for the first time, front squats as i dont have rack,

So you front squat what you clean up to your shoulders? Won't get very strong with that at all. You should only do that for conditioning.

i notice in the last few reps, i feel im leaning forward, any tips for the front squat?

Weak abs, or you're losing tightness there due to lack of concentration.

Should i find an increase in weight when i start back squats?

No.

The good morning out of the hole is because the hips rise faster than the rest of the body, right? Wouldn't that be due to a weak upperback that can't push the bar up at the same speed?

The good morning out of the hole is because the hips rise faster than the rest of the body, right? Wouldn't that be due to a weak upperback that can't push the bar up at the same speed?

I think it might be due to weak hamstrings, but I'm not sure, maybe someone with more experience can say.

I have the same issues...

All my lifts progress at a faster rate than my squat...

I have problems getting out of the "hole"... Once I start struggling my squats go to good mornings somehow...

Its weird...

I'll be intrested in responses too.

to be honest I dont see form decaying into a 'good morning squat' as a bad thing. It means your activating your hips.