• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Buying a quality powerlifting belt

Markos its gregg, most of ed coans deadlifts (possibly all) were done raw. See you in a week for some big lifting!

Yep from what I have read from interviews he likes to DL raw (don't know about the use of a belt though). Thats a mighty goal to accomplish, but it is best to set the standard high, good luck to him.

I've been using the Outbak powerlifting belt (note that weightlifting belt is a different kind) for 3 months. My lifts didn't automatically get any higher with a belt than without, but my core does work harder and the day after, my lower back doesn't get as sore as it used to.

Saw some tasty lever belts at PA Nationals from Minh's stand, but I haven't had the Outbak for that long so didn't want to spend another 100 bucks. I'd check out some of those quality ones from Titan Australia if I were you, Alvin.

How blessed are we to have the Mighty Gregg Gordon join us. This really is a very, very strong compilation of lifters on this forum. If we could just get Matt Middleton to join.

For those that dont know much about Gregg, he is 18 and weighs 99kg. He is hoping to get 315/195/300 on the weekend, thats kilos lol

Max got 230kg last night, slowly getting there, 100kg to go lol

Just to reply to the OP I just bought a Toro Lever belt from Minh at Titan Australia and I'm happy with it. The lever is rock solid, though adjusting it is a pain. Also, I paid in the morning and it was at my doorstep the same night.

As far as my experience with them, I don't have much, I'm still a novice and I've only had two session wearing the belt, both of which were light because I'm just coming off a bad bout of gastro.

As far as I can tell so far, I don't think the belt will just magically add kilos to my squat. My torso isn't the weak point and I've squatted 180kgx2 in the past with no gear (not even shoes). I do feel more solid under the bar but we'll see how it goes when I'm back up at 180kg or more. I do feel my abs working harder, or at least in a different way.

As for deadlifts, I haven't quite figured out how to wear it properly without it being a real pain but I think it will add kilos to my max. My back didn't feel as sore as it usually does after, but that's probably also because I'm not deadlifting very heavy at the moment.

Will probably help a bit with the press as well, but like that 70's Big post mentions I'l have to see how it affects my lifts over the next few months as the acute affects of wearing a belt isn't really the point of wearing one.

BTW if you guys are considering belts but don't have lifting shoes left I'd say get the shoes first.

TGM experiment with how tight you have the belt.

With my lever belt I have 3 tightnesses without having to remove and adjust the lever.
1) both teeth in but not latched. I use this when training in the suit
2) 1 tooth in and latched. used for shirt work and comp squat attempts except opener
3) both teeth in and latched. For raw max attempts.

Then if I add the tommykono neoprene belt underneath, it makes option 1 a little tighter for strongman yoke and farmers walk

Also try a few variations with how high or low you wear the belt.

A belt is a good tool in a powerlifters kit bag, I don't wear for most training, just when over a certain weight which I'm always trying to push up. But somedays the belt comes on at a lighter weight, other days I'll see how heavy I can go before putting the belt on
but never a max single without.

That's brilliant I never would have thought of just using one set of teeth, thanks for the advice.