• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cablecross over/Functional trainer help

kotchi

Hi guys,

I've been hitting my head against the wall for a while now.

On the weekend, my dad's decided that he's fed up with my inability to make a decision and is forcing me to make a purchase (for which he'll be partially paying, so i'm not complaining haha)

Anyway, at first I was tossing up between a ptec power rack with hi/low pulley, or the monster g6. Whilst I loved the extra functionality (that is the smith machine and functional trainer) that the monster g6 offered, everyone has had me question the quality of it granted its ForceUSA, and since I was buying it 3 months used, ergo, second hand, i wasn't going to have any warranty as per their terms and conditions

ANYWAY, i've decided that i'm going to go with the powertec power rack with hi/low pulley, and then if i feel I want to make an additional purchase later down the road, providing I have space in my garage, I could get a cablecross over/functional trainer (i decided that I wouldn't ever really need a smith machine).

here's my question
The core of my home gym will be the power rack, obviously with accompanying dumbbells and barbells (and some olympic rings). Based off that, if you were in my position, would you go for a functional trainer or cable cross over system if you decided you had to have one and why?

Also, as a uni student i'm not presently rolling in $$. I noticed that cable cross over machines with a fixed high/low pulley are really quite cheap (<$500), whereas I can't find any functional trainer even near that price. Could someone possibly outline which exercises I might miss out on by getting a cable cross over machine with fixed pulleys rather than the moveable ones, because whenever I see them used, the exercises I mainly see are either performed with the pulley set at the highest or lowest position (apart mid-height cable cross overs). Oh, and will having these fixed pulleys result in a 1:1 weight ratio, because i'm thinking if i have a high low pulley from the ptec with a 1:1 ratio, i might prefer something with a 2:1 ratio for the extra cable length.

Sorry to do your heads in with the multiple questions, hope i've made my questions suffiently clear.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you send my way.

Last edited:
A basic power-rack, bench, barbell + plates are the essentials.

Everything else is "nice to have".

As you are just beginning, have a look at the program "starting strength" - the ebook is only $10 and well worth the price.

That program should last you 9-12 months and the above equipment is all you need for that.

There are also intermediate/advanced programs that go off that equipment too - so if you never bought anything else again you'd still be well sorted.

A basic power-rack, bench, barbell + plates are the essentials.

Everything else is "nice to have".

As you are just beginning, have a look at the program "starting strength" - the ebook is only $10 and well worth the price.

That program should last you 9-12 months and the above equipment is all you need for that.

There are also intermediate/advanced programs that go off that equipment too - so if you never bought anything else again you'd still be well sorted.

Oh I should have mentioned, i've had a gym membership for the past two years, but I was never one used the functional trainers/cable crossovers for any dual-cable exercise. With uni, my own equipment would be much more useful, so I'm a beginner insofar that i've never been one to purchase equipment.

Nevertheless, i might look into one of those intermediate programs just for the sake of being informed.

Dafuq is a "functional trainer"?

With your post count, i'm not sure if you're srs. Unless i've misread something, it's effectively something very similar to a cable crossover, except that it is not as wide, meaning the cables are closer to each other so you're not stretching as far to grab them, and have the pulleys adjustable for multiple heights (where cable crossovers may have this, or a fixed high/low pulley).

Main difference I think is that being not as wide, the tension is coming from different angles.

With your post count, i'm not sure if you're srs. Unless i've misread something, it's effectively something very similar to a cable crossover, except that it is not as wide, meaning the cables are closer to each other so you're not stretching as far to grab them, and have the pulleys adjustable for multiple heights (where cable crossovers may have this, or a fixed high/low pulley).

Main difference I think is that being not as wide, the tension is coming from different angles.

No I was serious, I've never heard them called that and to be honest I find the label quite laughable.

My 2c: don't waste your money on that shit. They're hardly necessary. You're better off getting a better bar or more weight or buying some other more versatile implements like KBs, sandbags, etc.

And don't waste your money on a smith machine either.

Yeah cross over is a nice to have system. Would suggest rack, bench, barbells, DBs and KBs over everything else.

No I was serious, I've never heard them called that and to be honest I find the label quite laughable.

My 2c: don't waste your money on that shit. They're hardly necessary. You're better off getting a better bar or more weight or buying some other more versatile implements like KBs, sandbags, etc.

And don't waste your money on a smith machine either.

haha fair enough then. With respect to the better bar or more weight, i've already got 160kg of weights, it'll be a while before I reach that much on any exercises, so i'm set on the front, and because that's all the weight i've got atm, the bar i bought from ironedge will be more than sufficient for the time being. I might actually consider buying some more KB's though, all i have atm is a pair of 8kg and 12 kg KB's. Thanks for that :)

Yeah cross over is a nice to have system. Would suggest rack, bench, barbells, DBs and KBs over everything else.

Already got them all :) Unless I decide to get more KB's which I may need, I take it that you're an advocate of the Cablecrossover as opposed to the functional trainer?

You could build a pretty epic gym setup with the money you're planning to waste on cable machines...

If i was buying a functional trainer, I agree, but i've found a fixed pulley cable crossover machine for like 200-300. And i've already got a rack, barbell, dumbbell, weights, some KB, and some olympic rings. I was only considering the fixed pulley crossover because it was so cheap.

Why do you want a cable crossover? What exercises? Stick to the basics in my opinion...

You should deadlift 160kg pretty quickly....

Already got them all :) Unless I decide to get more KB's which I may need, I take it that you're an advocate of the Cablecrossover as opposed to the functional trainer?

Nah I use either occasionally for flyes et al., but to be honest they're just accessory movements to the workout. If I walked out of the gym not having done them it wouldn't be a big issue.

If you've topped out on dumbbells and the mandatory equipment, and your old man is willing to splash the cash then go for it.

What equipment have you got? I'd be making sure you've got wall mounted chins and dips, they're 2 exercises that should be part of everyones program. That's if your powerrack doesn't have the attachment.

I've always been fond of the wall mounts though, last time I used the dip handles on the a rack they just didn't feel sturdy enough for me. May have been the rack itself.

Oh & smith machines are pretty bad for any compound movement. Having said this, when I had my home gym, the one thing I missed was the ability to smash my calves. Had to be real creative!

Last edited:
Nah I use either occasionally for flyes et al., but to be honest they're just accessory movements to the workout. If I walked out of the gym not having done them it wouldn't be a big issue.

If you've topped out on dumbbells and the mandatory equipment, and your old man is willing to splash the cash then go for it.

What equipment have you got? I'd be making sure you've got wall mounted chins and dips, they're 2 exercises that should be part of everyones program. That's if your powerrack doesn't have the attachment.

I've always been fond of the wall mounts though, last time I used the dip handles on the a rack they just didn't feel sturdy enough for me. May have been the rack itself.

Oh & smith machines are pretty bad for any compound movement. Having said this, when I had my home gym, the one thing I missed was the ability to smash my calves. Had to be real creative!

I've got a set of adjustable dumbbells which are sufficient weight for now, will be upgrading when the times arrives. I've got an olympics barbell, about 157kg of olympic weights (waited months for them to be ready, the iron edge rubber coated ones), set of power rings, a powertec power rack with high/low pulley meaning I also get the dip handles and chinup bar, and then two pairs of kettlebells (8kg and 12kg)

Seeing as i'm indifferent to smith machine, and probably won't get one, in what ways were you creative for calves? All i can think of is sitting calf raises with the barbell on my knees and my toes on a block of wood.

Also can I just add, as an Italian, I find your username most humorous :)

Sounds like you got everything you need. You have bodyweight movements at your disposal also. Maybe add a sled & pile on the weights.

Sounds like your looking for motivation to train? Hence buying non essential equipment?
Just train and stop complicating things.

Sounds like you got everything you need. You have bodyweight movements at your disposal also. Maybe add a sled & pile on the weights.
If you're referring to what I think you are when you say 'sled', I don't really have the room to use it unfortunately.

Sounds like your looking for motivation to train? Hence buying non essential equipment?
Just train and stop complicating things.
No it's not that. It's just that because of where I live, most of the stuff I'm buying is being shipped so I'm trying to get everything at once to save on shipping costs/time.

As far as motivation goes, (un)fortunately when I have a goal to reach, my perfectionist mentality going into overdrive...It has it's upside and downside I suppose; I end up telling myself I HAVE to accomplish it...which ends up becoming somewhat addictive hahah.

Oh ok. By all means buy it :p

Will do. For 200-300, I suppose it may not be as multi-purpose as a functional trainer, or even as a cable crossover with moveable settings, but it should suffice for the time being.

I'm just concerned that since it's probably going to be a 1:1 ratio, will I even be able to get a full ROM if i want to take a step out for cable crossovers?

I'm considering getting myself a crossover (since there is a $6xx one available with fixed upper and lower pulleys)...
http://www.worldfitness.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=2_72&products_id=152

(would give me somewhere to hand a pair of rings from as well, something i don't have currently)

A narrow crossover provides (for me, i have a pretty big wingspan), most of the utility of a functional trainer, i'm also wondering if i'm going to miss adjustable height pulleys though....

(no space for a power rack at present, i'll be getting one if i ever move to somewhere with more room)

Last edited: