• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

calisthenics strength vs lifting weights strength

C

ChrisOX

What are the differences in calisthenics strength vs lifting weights?

I dunno bout that Shrek,
theres was this old guy at my gym who did it, pretty grouling to me. I couldnt do it, cos he used to get a laugh out of watching me try.

I was joking. I have never really got into so I really cannot comment on it's effectiveness.

What are the differences in calisthenics strength vs lifting weights?
Basically...

Calisthenics, or gymnastics, dance etc - these build muscle, but slowly as they're only using their own bodyweight, and only to a certain degree; pushups will make you stronger, but you'll never get a chest like Reg Park or become a powerlifter from it.

But they also build control of the muscles.

OAH%20spring.jpg

I've known guys who could bench twice their bodyweight, but they couldn't do a one-armed pushup. It wasn't lack of strength that stopped them, but lack of fine control. Other guys could only bench their bodyweight, but could do that one-armed pushup.

So,

weights - quick growth, eventual huge strength, little control
calisthenics - slow growth, eventual decent but not huge strength, good control

It's all about what you're after.

Youre kidding about the double bodyweight bench press right. In 30 years of lifting I've never seen one without assistance gear........ever.

I've seen 12yo boys do one arm pushups that cant even spell weights

Who do you know that can do a double bodyweight bench press????

It was the army, they wore gear and I'm fairly sure were juiced up. I certainly don't know them now, this was years ago. It's quite possible I overestimated their weights on the bar.

Anyway, point is, they had lots of strength but not much control; strength and control are different things, obviously not totally separate but still.

Last edited:
I beleive a double bw weight bench would be possible, Well at least I hope so it is a personal goal...my best so far is a 1.6 times bw

I only include raw drug free lifts.

I managed 165kg @ 90kg before I severed my pec lol

I think thats 1.8 times.

I have a lifter at PTC currently benching 155kg @ 83kg, there is a picture of Kelly making that press on my website. Thats just under 1.9 times.

Trofius, thats a great effort so far, well done.

Are you strong on the other lifts as well?

Hides in corner,......NO.... i have piss weak legs, Have had the last two months away from gym and aim to rectify this.. your traing ideas are appealing and would love more info..

For the record I was 67kg and did a 110kg bench, it is wrong that I can bench more than I can squat...

You can trawl through my training diary if you want its in there what i got up to befre uni, baby and work got in the way..

Ive seen guys go real heavy, but never double there weight, Only as there body weight has increased so has the lifts.
I agree wif wot PTC says about speed wen pressing, I have found the more I think about wot im doing the less chance I have of making lifts, which are otherwise conquored before I even touch the bar. same goes for all the big lifts.

i think he is refering to building muscle fibres that actually all fire at the same time rather a cascade of them going off.. The more muscle fibres that work at the same time the greater the strength of that muscle.

Rather than a just get in and do it kinda quickness

Best way to explain speed when pressing is this.

Lets pretend a brick wall is your sticking point on a lift. If I ask you to drive your car at the wall doing 5kph, your car is going to hit the wall and stop, like a slow bench press.

What happens if you hit that wall at 25kph? It blasts through the syicking point, and the momentum allows you to finish the lift easier.

My wife benched 81kg @ 58kg at a CAPO powerlifting comp at age 43. I know how to get peoples bench through the roof.

Hides in corner,......NO.... i have piss weak legs, Have had the last two months away from gym and aim to rectify this.. your traing ideas are appealing and would love more info..

For the record I was 67kg and did a 110kg bench, it is wrong that I can bench more than I can squat...

You can trawl through my training diary if you want its in there what i got up to befre uni, baby and work got in the way..

I just had a look at your journal. I'm going to keep this positive.....so I wont say anything.

I'll give you some examples of my strongest lifters at various bodyweights, you decide for yourself if its okay to bench more than you squat.

Max 68kg..... Squat 145kg..... bench 85kg....deadlift 170kg...17yo
Kelly 83kg......squat 160kg......bench 155kg...deadlift 240kg
Alen 85kg..... squat 155kg..... bench 120kg....deadlift 210kg
Nick 110kg.... squat 187.5kg.... bench 140kg...deadlift 230kg
Spiros 110kg.. squat 215kg.... bench 165kg.....deadlift 250kg
Nina 58kg.......squat 105kg.....bench 77.5kg.....deadlift 127.5kg...woman
James 105kg...squat 182.5kg....bench 142.5kg...deadlift 250kg

These from interstate guys who compete/lift at PTC

Shorty 67kg....squat 165kg....bench 120kg...deadlift 210kg
Tony 99kg......squat 190kg....bench 150kg....deadlift 265kg
Ghosty 60kg...squat 135kg....bench 92.5kg....deadlift 165kg

All lifts done raw and perfect form, most were done in competition.

There are videos and pics on my website

Last edited:
well anyways.. ive seen huge guys in the gym lifting heavy but they cant even do 1 pull up or chin up now does that sound like a waste of strength or what...i found when i first started gym i could do awesome pull ups and easyily 3 sets of 10 now that im stronger and about 4kgs heavier i cant do as many as i could it is definatly a different strength at use here if you want to see a great example of this search for bartendaz on youtube you wont be disappointed well maybe with your own abilitys that is! enjoy

Youre kidding about the double bodyweight bench press right. In 30 years of lifting I've never seen one without assistance gear........ever.

I've seen 12yo boys do one arm pushups that cant even spell weights

Who do you know that can do a double bodyweight bench press????

I`ve been thinking about this and there is one guy at my gym at 80kg who I have seen myself bench press 140kg for 4-5 reps.According to the chart on the wall his 1RM would be 155kg.As we know these charts are never to be taken as gospel but judging by what I`ve seen 160kg is definitely feasible.
I`ve never seen a white rhino but that doesn`t mean they don`t exist.

FWIW I have never seen him do a chin up let alone a one armed pushup

How are his squats, deadlifts and so on though?

I wouldn't know, but would imagine that if you dedicate yourself to one lift you can break a lot of barriers, but would have to leave the other lifts way behind. Having a BWx2 bench is very impressive just on its own, but combining that with (say) a BWx3 squat and deadlift would be amazing.