• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

CAPO Vic State Titles

Ahahhahah!

Kelly "Want a lift off mate?"
Portelli "Nnnnnnaaaaarrr ....im right....."
Markos "You sure?!"

Ahhahahaa

Adrian Tullo nearly made this 232.5kg bench. Half way up, the bar dips, then goes up.

He locks it out but 3 red lights.

He'll be looking at over 240kg at the CAPO Southern Bench comp in June

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM_RpGb7yEo]YouTube - PTC,CAPO Adrian Tullo benches 232.5kg raw, red lights[/ame]

PTC NEWSLETTER
# 151
2011 CAPO SOUTHERN STATES TITLES
A VIEW FROM A BRIDGE

The 2011 CAPO Southern State Titles have been run and won. Twenty four lifters contested this year’s event, which had competitors from Tassie and WA join in.

I’ll finish the newsletter with the results, but first, here is my View from a bridge.

Max commented this year how I run around and do all my work before the comp starts. I am extremely fortunate to have a crew that run around during the event, making sure everything is going smoothly. I just float once it starts.

Without Max, Gregg, Gawain, Sean, Alen, Dim, Connor, Spiros, Marianne, Jesse, Joe, Dave and a host of others who judged, spotted and loaded on the day, the meet would not have happened.

To all those that give back to the sport, thank you, from everyone at CAPO and PTC.

The comp was run in two flights of twelve lifters. The first flight had the girls, teens and juniors, the second flight the open men and masters.

We had 4 girls in the women’s section, Nina, Sussy, Helen and Monica, they finished in that order. Sussy had previously competed and won her class at ProRawOne, Helen and Monica were competing at their first ever 3 lift comp. Some highlights from the women’s included Helen squatting 100kg, Sussy deadlifting 110kg. She hadn’t deadlifted for 2 months due to a hip complaint, Nina benching 67.5kg and Monica not bombing. Mattel are bringing out a Powerlifting Barbie, loosely based on Monica. Her 60kg squat was an epic tussle, unfortunately she racked the bar early and got red lighted, her blond hair wasn’t enough to sway the judges.

The girls had a ball. It’s the first comp I’ve been to where all the girls got on so well and had so much fun. Having Marianne there was a blessing. Marianne has competed for years, and with 3 girls having 1 comp between them, it was so good to have her there helping the girls. They all raved about Marianne afterwards. Next time I hope to have her lifting again. Thank you so much Marianne for looking after the girls with their warm ups and attempts.

With the new girls doing well, a couple of other PTC girls have expressed interest in competing, Kate and Amy would do very well. We may see them in May.

The teen section was dominated by Stumpy Chapman. Daryl is World Record holder, and getting stronger. He moved up from the 67.5kg class, competed at 71kg. He was just shy of 7 x bodyweight, 18 and raw, not even a belt. He went 180/125/185 – 490kg, he was a clear winner. He pulled 200kg very high, but he couldn’t hold on. Stumpy hit squat, bench, dead and total PB’s. He trains 6 days a week and doesn’t follow a traditional Powerlifting program. He does front squats, power cleans, snatches and jerks as well as the 3 power lifts. He trains between 10-12 hours a week. He does high rep squatting, benching and deadlifting, along with triples and singles.

Jeremy Bucanck and Joe Tullo were neck and neck. These young guys are the future of the sport. Jeremy squatted 200kg@99kg, Joe benched 130kg@87kg, and both are very strong. Both boys are obviously well coached, Jeremy by Gregg Gordon and Joe by his father Adrian. Both these boys will do very well at Nats.

The three teenagers competing were so good, that the lowest total was 490kg. That is a very, very high standard of competition in the teenage section. There were 3 comps in total held over the weekend, I noticed a National event had men in the Open class total over 100kg less than these teenagers, one of whom was at his first comp. This is not a blight on the other comp, it just showcases how strong these 3 teens are. I can’t wait for the Nats, all 3 of these boys will total over 500kg raw.

The Juniors had 3 competitors, with one guy in their second comp and two in their first. Pierre won with a total of 470kg@79kg, first time on stage. That is a remarkable result, but was actually less than he is capable of. Pierre has just returned from a 2 month overseas holiday, he too is capable of 500kg at Nats.

Will has only started training properly a couple of months ago. To give you an idea, he had never deadlifted before joining PTC, and even then only going up to 130kg in training. He pulled 160kg on comp day. He totalled 390kg@71kg, with less than 3 months training. He finished second.

Big Jack Pollard walked into PTC 10 months ago. I asked him to bench 40kg x 5, and he failed. Bench was his best lift. At Southern States, his second comp, he went 170/115/200 – 485kg. He missed a week’s training two weeks prior to the comp with flu, and was doubtful he would recover to lift on the day. He did. Jack has unlimited potential in Powerlifting. He never questions anything I say, tries as hard as any client. His progress is rapid as anyone I have ever trained. I can’t wait till he has two years training under his belt.

The Open men was dominated by 2 of the strongest guys to set foot in PTC. Wayne Howlett, making a return to competition, dominated without pushing himself too hard. He went 9 for 9 and didn’t even grind out a single lift. He went 300/220/300 – 820kg@130kg. Wayne is as strong as anyone I have ever met, a real nice guy. He lifts with perfect form. His 220kg bench, flat back, medium grip was phenomenal. I can’t wait till he pushes himself. Wayne is joining ProRaw, he will go close to 900kg with knee wraps, and competition.

Adrian Tullo finished second. He went 270/215/320 – 805kg, the second biggest total ever set at PTC, behind Wayne and ahead of Gawain. He actually locked out a 232.5kg bench, red lights, and dropped a 335kg dead, didn’t chalk up. He has made a 240kg bench in training, so the 232.5kg is well within his grasp, as is the 335kg dead. If he’d held onto the deadlift, as he was upright when he dropped it, and got whites on his bench, he would’ve totalled 837.5kg. Would’ve, should’ve, could’ve, he will next time, either in May, August at Nats or October in ProRaw.

In contrast, third place went to Luke Vella, weighing just 66kg, going 155/110/220 – 485kg, that’s well over 7 x bodyweight, raw. As far as I know, this was Luke’s first comp raw, he usually competes equipped. He set records, the best being the Open Men deadlift with 220kg. I wish Luke would do more raw competition, he is a natural at it.

Fourth was big Daniel Portelli. Amazing numbers, very balanced…….not, with 220/210/230 – 660kg.
He is an amazing bench presser. Anyone that benches 210kg raw is in the top few percent in the country. I hope to see more of Dan in competition, he’s been missing for a while. He seemed to really enjoy himself, and the crowd enjoyed his performance.

Gareth Anderson and John Nichols didn’t have their best days. Gareth still totalled 522kg @ 82kg which is superb lifting for a guy in his first year of competition. He wasn’t quite right on the day, we will alter his training a little heading into the next comps.

John made the mistake of cutting too much weight before the comp. He dropped around 8kg in the last week or so, coming in at 74kg. He is an 82.5kg lifter. He totalled 440kg, was looking at something closer to 500kg. He will lift in the 82’s from now on.

Piotr Jakubczyk had done 1 session at PTC prior to the event, having trained at home. He now trains at PTC as often as he can. He totalled 455kg via 145/127.5/182.5, with PB’s in the squat and dead. He set 4 National Records in the sub masters. He is hooked. He is coming to Nats

The Masters had two lifters, Wayne Kollen and James Thompson. This was Wayne’s second comp, first time over 400kg, PB’s in most lifts, and first place in the Masters. He came to PTC with a bad back, he had broken it twice, falling off ladders. The fact he pulled 4 plates in his 40’s is testament to the work he has put in. He too is coming to Albury.

James has not been well. He has been hospitalized twice since Christmas. At 63, he has no plans to not compete. He’s a late starter, and even if he is below his best, he’ll compete. He is no primadonna, a few younger guys could take a leaf out of his book.

We had 3 lifters in the equipped section, Shaun Bostock, Rhys Archer and George Okunev from Perth. Unfortunately George and Rhys bombed in the bench, but Rhys went on and deadlifted 280kg.

George was attempting to break Paul Nay’s 280kg bench record in the 125’s, but he missed 282.5kg three times. Next time George.

Shaun Bostock, a legend in Powerlifting. Shaun entered at the last minute, ringing me on Friday. He wanted to have a crack at 300kg+ in a single ply. His best in multiply competition is 335kg, the biggest bench in Australian Powerlifting history. He made 305kg on the day, and he was quite chuffed. Shaun will be back at PTC for the Southern Bench comp in June, don’t miss it.

Overall, 12 lifters set/broke 39 National Records on the day. It was the strongest group of lifters I have seen at a State Titles. Here are the results.

Official Results

WOMEN

Nina Markopoulos........R - 59.4kg - 90/67.5/115 - 272.5kg - First
Sussy Kollen...............R - 59.4kg - 80/57.5/110 - 247.5kg - Second
Helen Sidiropoulos........R - 78.5kg - 100/50/120 - 270kg - Third
Monica Jakubczyk........R - 58.6kg - 55/40/100 - 195kg - Fourth

TEENAGE

Daryl Chapman............R - 71.9kg - 180/125/185 - 490kg - First
Jeremy Bucanck..........R - 99.4kg - 200/120/210 - 530kg - Second
Joe Tullo....................R - 87.5kg - 140/130/220 - 490kg - Third
Nathan Pennant..........R - 101.7kg - 110/85/160 - 355kg - Fourth
Dan Pennant..............R - 105.6kg - 85/90/155kg - 330kg - Fifth

JUNIORS

Pierre Zumkley............R - 79.9kg - 160/110/200 - 470kg - First
Will Straughen............R - 71.8kg - 115/115/160 - 390kg - Second
Jack Pollard...............R - 121.2kg - 170/115/200 - 485kg - Third

OPEN MEN

Wayne Howlett..........R - 130.1kg - 300/220/300 - 820kg - First
Adrian Tullo...............R - 155.0kg - 270/215/320 - 805kg - Second
Luke Vella.................R - 66.5kg - 155/110/220 - 485kg - Third
Daniel Porteli.............R - 136.7kg - 230/210/220 -660kg - Fourth
Gareth Anderson........R - 82.5kg - 185/120/217.5 - 522.5kg - Fifth
John Nichols..............R - 74.5kg - 160/110/170 - 440kg - Sixth
Piotr Jakubczyk..........R - 116.6kg - 145/127.5/182.5 - 455kg - Seventh

MASTERS

Wayne Kollen.............R - 80.9kg - 130/102.5/180 - 412.5kg - First
James Thompson........R - 105.5kg - 140/85/195 - 420kg - Second

EQUIPPED OPEN MEN

Shaun Bostock..........E - 147.5kg - 60/305/75 - 440kg - First
Rhys Archer..............E - 89.0kg - 180/bomb/280 - bomb
George Okunev..........E - 117.9kg - 45/bomb - bomb

Lots of videos have been posted up on our Youtube Channel, check here to view

YouTube - PTCFrankston???

I’d like to thank everyone that competed, and everyone that helped on the day. Without your efforts, CAPO would not be the #1 Powerlifting Federation in Australia.

A reminder that on the 29th of May I will be holding a National Qualifier for those that haven’t yet qualified for Nats. It will be a raw and equipped comp. Check the CAPO website for details

Victoria - Victoria

Thanks for reading

Markos

Damir is nowhere near 200kg raw. He has done over 200kg raw in the past, but with current shoulder and tricep injuries shirted is a better option for health.
He's a big raw deadlifter, and has potential for a huge raw squat

Hey Paul if you gonna make a statement get the facts right. I'm sitting about 170-180kgs raw at moment and with a torn pec (right hand side- a big hole in the corner) and left side torn tricep. I've never had any problems with my shoulders....also I think Markos was alluding to people who have benched over 200kgs (raw) in the past or who are still lifting. And just to set the record straight I used to rep out with 200kg at about 115kg bodyweight...my best was 220kgs x 5reps at about 117kg. :D

Hey Paul if you gonna make a statement get the facts right. I'm sitting about 170-180kgs raw at moment and with a torn pec (right hand side- a big hole in the corner) and left side torn tricep. I've never had any problems with my shoulders....also I think Markos was alluding to people who have benched over 200kgs (raw) in the past or who are still lifting. And just to set the record straight I used to rep out with 200kg at about 115kg bodyweight...my best was 220kgs x 5reps at about 117kg. :D

Hey Damir, did you not notice the bit where I said you had done over 200kg in the past? I stand by my statement, 170-180kg raw is still nowhere near 200kg raw, I have no doubt that you can get back to 200kg+ once your pec and tricep are fixed. My mistake on the shoulder, I meant pec. I know how strong you are overhead.