• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cheap home gym?

I could pick this rack up for $295 Adjustable Squat Rack Barbell Weight Stand.

I know its not a power cage but I simply can't fit one. This thing is cheap, looks sturdy and has big safety catches. Rated up to 500lbs. I'm also assuming I could use it for safe bench presses?

I could also buy x2 20KG weight plates off these guys for just $80 pickup. So I'd be upgrading significantly for just $375.

I used to have that exact stand for squats, its OK but when i threw the bar back into the rack it would tip forward.

I used to have that exact stand for squats, its OK but when i threw the bar back into the rack it would tip forward.

Thanks for the info Kaz. I better keep away from it then, safety always comes first. I'm guessing this would be the case for most squat stands too.

I went to a squat cage. The stands were good as I was learning but as my weights increased and i rarely had a spotter at home, I had to buy a cage. I had to throw a bar once on a failed squat and ended up with a fair bit of gyprock and floor damage.
The cage has saved me on many occasions on many failed lifts.

Some squat stands I found on eBay going for $150. I reckon if you msg him and offer $100 you could probably get it for that since he's trying to offload 3. Doesn't have safety's but if ur super worried just train with a mate

http://bit.ly/SP7MW6

You're a braver man than me if you'd attempt to use them for squatting

I see. I thought u were referring to my buying strategies. I only use a power rack myself so have no idea as to the quality of any squat stands. Merely just trying to help out

I see. I thought u were referring to my buying strategies. I only use a power rack myself so have no idea as to the quality of any squat stands. Merely just trying to help out
Sorry if you misunderstood me zan, yes I was referring to those 'squat stands'
Your buying strategy is sound :)

So if I was going to buy a cage, I couldn't do any chin ups as my roof is too low. This is why I'm looking for very safe squat stands as they dont take up as much room . I think the ones I linked seemed sturdy at least, I might go in store and check if they are suitable for benching as well

So if I was going to buy a cage, I couldn't do any chin ups as my roof is too low.

so what, you can't do chin ups with a squat stand either?

This is why I'm looking for very safe squat stands as they dont take up as much room . I think the ones I linked seemed sturdy at least, I might go in store and check if they are suitable for benching as well
cage = safer than squat stand

i'm not sure that you are going to get the answer you want in this thread, no matter how many times and different ways you ask

I currently own these

50kg Barbell / Dumbbell Set - Bars - Free Weights - Strength | Workout World?

+ a York Gym Bench

I'm working on a budget here and don't want to spend more than $500. I was thinking of buy this squat rack TREADMILL WAREHOUSE - Exercise Fitness BODYWORX - BODYWORX ADJUSTABLE SQUAT/DIP STAND - Benches

But then I would need to buy some more weights which could start to get expensive. Or should I sell the barbell + weights I currently have?

Could anybody link me to some cheap, good quality equipment to set up a small home gym? I'm looking at doing starting strength.

I have that squat stand, it is solid as fuck and rated to 275kg. I probably wouldn't trust it with quite that much, but it is still just fine. The only issue is to put on a 7 foot bar you have to disconnect the bottom. This is a bit of a pain but I put some weights on them to stabilise it and it is ok. I had to get one like it cause of space issues. You can't really use it for chin ups cause it doesn't go high enough. I do chin ups off a ceiling beam under my house, or my bedroom doorway, which is just fine.

If I was you I would get that stand, but you will need a new bench cause ur bench (I'm betting) is only rated to around 200kg (including user weight). This will depend on your stats, but for me at 100kg bodyweight I reached 100kg bench press (from 60kg) in about 3-4 months and had to replace my bench.

As for weights and a bar, your bar looks fine, so long as the sleeves aren't too large for the weights you will be buying.Some weights have a 27mm (or so) internal hole, and some bars are 27.5mm in diameter on the sleeves (yeah, problem). Pick up weights off gumtree, should be able to get non-oly weights really cheaply. Try and get a few +20kg plates. You should be able to pick up a cheap bar if need be with those weights.

I deadlifted up to 180kg and benched up to 120kg plenty of times using exactly the setup I've posted above and the bar never bent, nor did I ever feel unsafe on the squat rack. So long as you don't drop the bar from height with 150kg+ on it onto the rack you should be fine.

Cheap ass option:
1 bodywork squat rack - $300
Extra 100kg of rusty non olympic weights so you have 150 total - $100 on gumtree
Total - $400. Replace your bench with a quality flat bench with a 30cm wide top for around $200-$300 at a later date.

Pretty option:
1 Muscle motion power rack - $not sure, $500?
New garage to fit power rack - $10,000
ABC olympic bar or Cheap cyberfit Oly Bar - $500 or $100
Olympic weights - $2.50 per kilo, likely you will need $300 worth, minimum.

Last edited:
I have plenty of non olympic weights I have used for over 20 years, so at this stage in my life I am happy with the old school style of my gear, but if I was starting over I would go oly weights, Muscle motion rack and a matching bench as a basic set up.

PS I still use an old school rack I have had for 20 years.

So you can get and use a cheap set up by buying second hand gear on eBay and the like, but make sure it's solid and safe to use. All my gym gear is Aussie made Samson brand, the company has sadly died a little while back as the cheap imports pushed them out of business. The sad thing is all their gear is solid as a rock made and welded from BHP steel by Australian workers in Australia.

Here is a photo of my rack which sits outside on the veranda, as I have no room inside the house:

IMG_2751.jpg

At the end of the day you have to buy something that suits you and fits your needs.

If you do not have room for a cage may be some squat stands will have to do till you have the room in the future.

Alternatively throw the LC D TV and lounge outside and replace it with a power rack.

Last edited: