• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Check your volume!

IRON TANKS

Site Advertiser
Curious to see what volume you boys (and girls) are doing. If you don't know, the rules are what you do in 60 minutes MAX at the gym. I had a weak day today, have been doing quite a bit volume so I wound back a little and went a bit easier. Still felt pretty lethargic. So hopefully my math is on the money..

Today my volume was;

Bench - 100kgx10x4 (4000kg)
Pullups (+10kg around the waist, let's say 100 inc BW even though i'm 95kg) 100x4x10 (4000kg)
DB Rows 4x48kgx10 (x2) = 3840kg
Chinups (BW) 4x10x95 (3800kg)
Curls 30kg x 3 x 10 (900kg)
Tri pushdowns 34kg x 3 x 12 (1224kg)

+misc calf work etc

Total: 17764kg

Yours?

Last edited:
No idea on volume as such, but in a usual 40-45 min workout I try to get out 5 or 6 exercises with 3 sets depending on weight, but I also like to super set the last few exercises, but it will also depend on the weight I am moving, obviously if I lift heavier that week there will be longer rest between sets so i might only get 4 exercises that day.

Average of 9806kg lifted per session according to my spreadsheet.
Not including accessory work, just the main lifts

If I rush a session, I still can't keep it under an hour. Although I can get the general strength work done in about that time, so I'll use that (plus, my volume on the olympic lifts and their variants changes almost every time I walk into the gym, so it's hardly consistent anyway).

Yesterday, I did...

Back squats: 1x1x60kg [60kg], 3x10x80kg [2,400kg] (2,460kg)
Pull Ups: 1x10xBW [720kg], 4x8xBW [2,304kg] @~72kg (3,024kg)
Bench Press: 2x5x20 [200kg], 5x30kg [150kg], 5x40kg [200kg], 5x50kg [250kg], 4x5x60kg [1,200kg] (2,000kg)
Curls: 2x10x7.5kg (150kg)
Tris: 2x10x7.5kg (150kg)
Calf Raise: 2x20x55kg (2,200kg)
I also did some hyperextensions and ab wheel rollouts, but without added weight it hardly seems right to be trying to include them.

Total: 9,984kg

Last session I missed a couple of things, but all up it came to...

13400kg, apparently. :eek: Not counting warmups. And it took longer than an hour.

Well. it seems I like volume, considering I'm still a novice lifter (er... I think).

Figures like '92302kg' are pretty meaningless.

A better question would be how many working sets you do per exercise...... Working set = coming within a few reps of whatever your max RM is.

I do 5 for bench at the moment, but I also do incline bench x 3 sets afterwards. I also do military press + tricep isolation in the same workout, 3-4 working sets a piece.

better measure would be weight x distance moved = work done = kJ

eg, 17746kg moved 50cm each time = 17746x9.8x0.5/1000 = 87,000J
87kJ
how far in cm for each movement?

[/nerd]

87kJ

[/nerd]

Yes it would BUT that still doesn't take into account the fatigue factor of the muscles. It would also not take into account the time factor in moving the weight which would increase the amount of work performed. Biological systems always make physics annoying.

Last edited:

87kJ

[/nerd]

Ha I was waiting for this. There are far too many variables. The aforementioned is just a guide.

Assume full ROM (which of course, varies from body to body) and the 60 minute cap was placed to control a little better.

Not foolproof, just a guide.

Figures like '92302kg' are pretty meaningless.

A better question would be how many working sets you do per exercise...... Working set = coming within a few reps of whatever your max RM is.

I do 5 for bench at the moment, but I also do incline bench x 3 sets afterwards. I also do military press + tricep isolation in the same workout, 3-4 working sets a piece.

It gets messy so this is just a simple measure of how many kg you move in a given session. If it's a chest or back day, generally 16 to 20 sets max.

I am training at the upper end of the scale right now. During winter I tend to train more strength (less than 6 reps) but I never train 1RMs because it is useless to me & my goals. I used to regularly train for big numbers, but with that also came a lot of niggles and injury - so I figured if I wasn't competing, and my goals were to have a combination of strength and a good physique - getting close to 1RMs weren't necessary for me.

I do tell a lie, occasionally I will do 1RMs for deads, but as far as bench & squats go always between 4-12 reps. Once you have crepitus in your knees from over training (kickboxing/squatting/plyometrics) 1RMs or near may not be on your agenda :D

Yes it would BUT that still doesn't take into account the fatigue factor of the muscles. It would also not take into account the time factor in moving the weight which would increase the amount of work performed. Biological systems always make physics annoying.
thats not taking into account any of the squishy factors at all.. just the mathematical work performed of moving weight that far. (work = force x distance)
the time factor changes "power" exerted during movement, but not the minimum work required to move the weight a fixed distance..

doesn't in any way take into account things like lowering the weight (which takes energy, but is technically negative work), or muscle efficiency or anything like that. :D

but would be interesting to see if a correlation could be made between weight x distance x reps, and energy expended (and food required)

i reckon adding in the distance makes a more meaningful number, cos 11ty million 2" squats is not same as lifting same weight overhead :D
also fairly easy to measure ROM in cm (with string)

Biggest issue is the actual work done by the muscle is not what is expressed but what happens at the fiber levels :D

With my injured shoulder I am at about 10000kg for a pressing day: in 60-70 minutes.

You'd only be lying to yourself though

I use total volume lifted in training the whole time and because I'm consistent with my main training I know how volume is supposed to look and decide my entire training around total number of bar lifts and total volume lifted so I can get direct feedback at the end of each session about whether or not my previous training sessions in the cycle have put me on target to match the number of bar lifts and total volume lifted for the month. It doesn't mean I go "oh I need to get 40,000kg this week I'll just lift the bar for 500 reps once a week"

You'd only be lying to yourself though

I use total volume lifted in training the whole time and because I'm consistent with my main training I know how volume is supposed to look and decide my entire training around total number of bar lifts and total volume lifted so I can get direct feedback at the end of each session about whether or not my previous training sessions in the cycle have put me on target to match the number of bar lifts and total volume lifted for the month. It doesn't mean I go "oh I need to get 40,000kg this week I'll just lift the bar for 500 reps once a week"
I can't believe I unhid your post to read that.... :D