• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Clean Bulk?

Undercover

Kunce in training
Heard the term clean bulk thrown around a fair bit. No idea what is exactly means.

Is a clean bulk essentially increasing your calorie intake (eg. 2000-2200) until you are gaining 0.5-1kg a month (muscle).

Is the term 'clean' thrown in essentially to prevent eating bad/pointless calories and over eating ending in just a weight (fat) increase?

To rapey 'clean' bulk is eating 10% or less over your maintenance calories. Has nothing to do with the quality of food. Dirty bulk is when you just become a fat fuck and do GOMAD plus eating heaps still.....

Get a new avi, FUCK!

To rapey 'clean' bulk is eating 10% or less over your maintenance calories. Has nothing to do with the quality of food. Dirty bulk is when you just become a fat fuck and do GOMAD plus eating heaps still.....

Get a new avi, FUCK!

Fuck that's unexciting. 10% more with any quality food. So 200-400 calories extra. Scoop of PB and a Latte and it's all accounted for.

avi will be updated. I learned my lesson.

Fuck that's unexciting. 10% more with any quality food. So 200-400 calories extra. Scoop of PB and a Latte and it's all accounted for.

avi will be updated. I learned my lesson.

Yeah, people over complicate everything (waits for 0ni to link some article from the 15th century) It has nothing to do with eating only veggies and lean meat. You can 'clean' bulk eating KFC if you want....

Thank you.

Yeah, people over complicate everything (waits for 0ni to link some article from the 15th century) It has nothing to do with eating only veggies and lean meat. You can 'clean' bulk eating KFC if you want....

Thank you.

Fuck now I want a Twister n Chips

I understand it to mean to manage your intake to minimize putting on body fat and meeting your macros while bulking, not just filling up on rubbish and getting fat.

it takes 600 extra calories to build an extra pound of muscle, yet takes 3500 less calories to lose a pound of fat.

However, finding the right amount a lot harder so we tend to eat a bit more to make sure we are putting on weight.

Last year i gained strength on a slightly negative calorie diet (2500 calories per day), with bench (touch and go) going back upto 137.5kg from about 130kg, although i had done bigger weights many years ago.

If one could find the magic number, as some do, then little bodyfat would be gained.

it takes 600 extra calories to build an extra pound of muscle, yet takes 3500 less calories to lose a pound of fat.

were did you get this from? Also about the magic number..... if what you say above it correct then that would be the number for everyone.

And over what time frame does this happen? 3500 cals less per day, per week? month? same for gaining?

These numbers ar enever exact, but got info from science book years ago.

Explained by reality that muscle is quite different from fat, mainly water.

I will try and dig up a source.

Obvioulsy when we eat to put on or lose weight, body does not count calories in a sense, but key is to stay in positive nitrogen balance.

I have one read one source suggesting around 2500 calories is needed for poosiitive nitrogen level.

I don't think that is right. A lb of muscle may contain about 600 calories worth of energy but you are assuming the process of building muscle is 100% efficient which is very unlikely. I would guess the body is very inefficient at synthesizing muscle.

The number of calories needed is different for every person, depending on your size and activity level there is no one number for everyone.

For example:

I am currently on 2500 calories a day, my missus is on 1500 calories per day, we are both training and eating to drop some body fat, yet I seem to be dropping more weight per week than what she does.

I am guessing my maintenance is around 2800-3000 calories per day at my current activity level.

Personally if I was clean bulking I would be eating around 3000-3300 for starters and then adjust from there, this is for me at my current activity level, every other person will be different.

For the purpose of a fat loss plan you should be looking at somewhere between 18-29 calories per kilo of body weight per day. And keep in mind that you need to maintain 2 grams of protein, 0.85 grams of fat per kilo of of body weight to maintain normal hormonal function and minimize loss of lean body mass while cutting.

For a clean bulk you need to look at 22 to 35 calories per day per kilo of body weight.

I am currently on 22 calories per kilo of body weight doing a cut, so you can see the calorie intake overlaps depending on you metabolism and activity level I would probably clean bulk at 28 calories per kilo of body weight for starters and adjust from there.

I should have explained myself beter. calories will also differ for each on body weight and metabolism. I am talking about my own experience 90-99kg weight range).

However, weight gain is often suggested at about 0.5 to 1kg per week for hard training strength athletes seeeking to build muscle.

This normally implies an increase of around 500 calories over normal energy neds per day.

What i was sugesting is that this may guarantee weight increase of about 0.5 to 1kg per week, but often this will be only partially muscle and mostly fat.

All i am saying, and it appears the literature day differs over what amount of extra calories is needed to produce a pound of muscle (say 800 to 2500), is that a lower figure is required than say 3500 as the latter figure is more conducive to fat weight loss or gain.

My own experience with 500 days extra per day is little strength gain but lots of fat.

Last year i was pleasantly surprised to gain strength at 50 years of age at a slightly deficit calorie diet (2500 calories). Obvioiusly my calories were high enough to retain a positive nitrogen balance and still lose 3.5 kg over 3 or four months.

Hope this makes more sense.

Last edited: