• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

comment on my low bar squat bar position

CaT_SPeW

extra crispy
so im having trouble with low bar squat bar positioning i just dont know if i have it right. at the start the bar was slipping down my back on the heavier sets and putting heaps of pressure on my shoulders and wrists, ive started squeezing my shoulder blades together more and pushing my elbows back to form a better "shelf" for the bar which has helped but i seem to exert a fair bit of energy holding this position and when i tire the bar slips a bit again. i think shoulder and wrist flexability could be an issue here. this position also seems to push my head forward a lot, is that normal? anyway heres some photos so comment away

012.jpg

squat1.png

All that effort just to have the bar another inch down the back?? I don't think its worth it unless you can get the bar much further down your back, which it doesn't look like you have the flexibility to do. Just like me. Highbar all the way!

Highbar is much better for leg development anyway.

i had it lower when i started but it just slips down my back.

also the reason im trying low bar is that i can only squat with a wide stance as a narrow stance is uncomfortable on my dodgy knees, the low bar feels more stable with the wide stance than having it up high.

edit: what are peoples thoughts on high bar wide stance squats? does anyone do this?

Last edited:
here ya go

Attachments

• low bar hand position.JPG
    low bar hand position.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 25
  • low bar hand position2.JPG
    low bar hand position2.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 21
  • low bar hand position3.JPG
    low bar hand position3.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 23
here ya go

thanks. yeah thats pretty much what im trying to do in the photos, i could probably bring my hands in a bit more i guess it'll test the flexability a bit though

ive tried thumbs up on the bar but it doesnt sit well at all with my wrists theres way less pain with thumbs under for me