• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Converting to Sumo

Scott pretty much answered it for me.

You see people bouncing the weight at my gym and their form is alright for the first rep and then completely goes out the window. Bouncing makes it difficult to get tight between reps comapred to if you allow the weight to come to a dead stop.

There are other ways i would go about overloading than bouncing the weight off the ground.

Nomsayain.

I get what you are saying but the touch and go I am talking about is totally different to the bouncing the bros at the gym are doing. It is a totally different thing that is not what I am doing.

Same difference as touch and go bench compared to smashing the bar off your chest every rep.

As for getting tight, again I am not talking about bouncing, if you can stay tight for a few touch and go reps I am finding it much easier to stay tight for max single.

Just an update to this thread regarding touch and go deadlifts. After doing a couple months of t & g deads have hit some easy PBs on conventional deads.

Now gone back to normal 5 rep deads and have found that I am actually stronger at normal deads than touch and go, for 5 reppers anyway. For some reason touch and go deads have really strengthened my deads of the floor.

I think Christian said it right that they are just tools, and for me anyway you can't just dismiss something like t&g deads because it's called a deadlift. Lol

Touch and go is completely different to bouncing the rep every time
Take a look at derek poundstones deadlift videos for a good example

Congrats on the PR Bazza

My weak point in the deadlift has always been locking it out so I touch and go all sets above 5 reps as it allows you to get more upper end work in, it's also killer for grip because the bar stays in constant tension in your hands for so long

My weak point in the deadlift has always been locking it out so I touch and go all sets above 5 reps as it allows you to get more upper end work in, it's also killer for grip because the bar stays in constant tension in your hands for so long

Mine was the opposite. Weak point was off the floor but for some reason after doing touch and go deads have strengthened off the floor more than the upper end and now lockout is the issue.

I would guess I could get 20-30kg more to my knees than i can lock out. I am stronger doing full deadlifts than rack pulls from just below the knee. Lol.

I think there are many better ways to increase your deadlift Oni then TnG.

Get a vid up.

Sticky is probably right. T&G is just one tool. Its not likely the best one but it can work at certian times.

Sticky what things have you done that have helped bringing up peoples lockout on conventional deads.

Mine was the opposite. Weak point was off the floor but for some reason after doing touch and go deads have strengthened off the floor more than the upper end and now lockout is the issue.

I would guess I could get 20-30kg more to my knees than i can lock out. I am stronger doing full deadlifts than rack pulls from just below the knee. Lol.

I'm the same.

200 full dead, probably 140 from just below the knee*

*ok probably not accurate but that was all I got from below the knee when my full deadlift was ~180

I'm glad this topic came up... I have adopted the semi sumo stance because i feel more stable and I think I must have out of proportion long legs!!
I find it easier to keep my back straighter also...
I have always wondered if I should be trying to slowly convert to conventional, but now I'm guessing there's nothing wrong with me sticking to sumo?

Obviously not one size fits all, but the things I use for most (in order)
Correct set up
Deficit pulls
Swings
Sumo pulls
wideish box squats.

What I'm doing now is working but I'll probably get a video up when I go for 200kg in a few months
Lots of upper back work has been working well also