• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Core Strength Exercises

gareer

We all know that that being strong isn't just about having huge arms and being strong in one muscle, it's about total body strength. So what exercises do you do for core strength?

I'll start off with Hanging Leg raises, Saxon Side Bends, Decline Bench sit ups, Weighted Twists.

Add any exercises that you think really give you an intense workout.

Gareer

Overhead squats first and foremost... People that cant do these choose "situps"

Heavy front squats 5x3

Weighted Planks

The freakin ab wheel (or barbell rollouts) is a killer, I mean its easy as I have a super strong core :D. Strict chinups (no swinging at all) have been shown to really work your core as you are trying to limit any flexion or extension.

I am in favour of compound exercises with good posture and bracing to strengthen abs, lower back and glutes, which is what the "core" basically is.

Occasionally someone might need to focus on one of those areas in particular, but this is usually less about strength and more about awareness, being able to "turn on" that particular muscle group, so that it really will be worked in the compound exercises.

Doing direct abdominal work is a good long term plan.

My favourites are weighted sit ups and hanging leg raises where you lift your feet to the pull up bar.

All good ideas, Oliver, hanging leg raises are intense, i do usually around 5 sets and i cant get past twenty reps a set. Generally I dont do weighted exercises for core strength just because as a muscle its not meant for large burst contractions but rather works all day to keep us upright. Compound exercises such as deadies and squats can put them weight on them though.

Gareer

Bingo.
+ barbell rows and presses.
Posted via Mobile Device

tbh I dont agree. They're the main stuff for abdominals but unlike the lower back or hamstrings abdominals can take more volume.

Its probably a good idea to throw in a few sets to stay on the safe side, especially if you're not wearing a belt.

My own experience tells me otherwise Ol.

In my school days I used to do a shite load of ab work for "the six pack".

Don't do any direct ab work anymore, and my guts are harder than ever.

All the weightlifting coaches i've come across over the last few months have strongly recommended direct abo work (such as planks, but not sit ups), alongside of jerks, cleans, squats, deadlifts (&/or snatch pulls & cleans) to build a strong core.

Overhead squats are great. But not superior.

It's a matter of goals, PB.

If you just want to "get fit, lose weight, tone up", or get strong for a recreational sport, then basic compounds with good posture and bracing are enough ab work.

If you're doing Olympic-style weightlifting then you need more core strength than that, so you'll need direct work.

Goals. Which road is best depends where you want to go. Most people aren't going to Olympic Lift Town.

Squats, deadlifts, overhead press and rows when performed correctly will build serioud strength in the abs, but I think we can always do more.

I love the following.

Front Squats - Nobody with a strong front squat has a weak core, end of story.

Ab Wheel/BB Rollouts - Tough as hell, these really helped me build a strong core when I was returning from a back injury.

Hanging Leg Raises - Not as good as the first two but still decent. Make sure they are done with your feet/shins to the bar you're hangiong from

Last edited:
Again, I have a VERY different view lol

I havent done direct ab work since the 80's.

All I have done is standing press, squats, deadlifts, rows, benches.

I can do a 1 arm superman pushup, its actually easy, and a superman pushup with a 20kg plate on my ass.(hardest thing I've ever done)

None of this shoulders pinched back superman pushup, full extension.

Ab roller and planks is all I get my clients to do, plus the above mentioned exercises.

Even after not training for 2 years I was still able to do stacks of superman pushups.

Gareer, your a novice, I think, if you ask a question, and a guy that lifts much more weight than you gives you an answer, dont simply question him and give your view, he may know more than you.

Load 230kg on your back and walk out from a squat rack, see how that feels on you core. One guy that gave you an answer actually squats that, do you reckon he might know something?

All are correct.
Having said this, core strength goes much deeper than the abs, as you all know.

There is a wonderful picture in coach bill starr's TSSS taken from Tommy kono, depicting the human body with a series of rings originating from the hip and radiating the the outer extremities, most focus/attention should be placed on around the hip which is the core of power and strength.
One underatted exercise is the side bend, this exercise not only builds abdominal strength but also engages the smaller muscles that connect and support the vertebral column.

I though it was impotant to emphasize bens post as no one had mentioned the importance of these exercises.
Posted via Mobile Device

PTC, sorry if I offended you, but when I replied earlier I wasn't questioning anyones opinions and/or knowledge I was simply giving my opinion in return. I wouldn't just ignore his posts and say he's wrong just because I have different views, he is in fact definitely right I just wanted to keep the discussion going and hopefully get some more opinions on core exercises.

Gareer