• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Critique this please

Don't listen to Bricks advice about squatting. If it hurts and you have an issue get someone who knows what they are doing to check it out and teach you a way to get into squatting. I've taught a lot of fucked up people to squat and putting a bar on their back is the last step of many. Keep to leg press for now and use learning to squat as your warmup and mobility work.
Thanks for that where abouts are you from? Sydney I hope

Listen to Bazza and dave before you listen to me. Quiet happy to be corrected by those two.
ok thanks for the advice though

I posted quite a long reply Thursday but didn't seem to be logged in when hitting the 'post' button. I've been on forums where the loggin is timed, and if your response is too long, you're gone.

Anyway, most what I wanted to respond has been added by other people. But if anything, I quite like 21's so if you're going to ditch exercises I'd go for the 'regular' BB curls. 21's can actually be done on most exercises, just find your halfway point and then do top halfs, bottom halfs and full reps, although with squats or DL's I'd have a puke bucket ready. Didn't really understand how your knees can't cope with squats but can handle DL's, but seems like you're going to give it a try.

Knees end up a lot more bent in a deep squat compared to a deadlift. It's pretty common for people to have knee issues with the squat but be fine deadlifting.

I am in Melbourne, sorry.

Many people can be set into a better position with a DL to not aggravate knee issues where a squats motion will bring issues into play.

Knees end up a lot more bent in a deep squat compared to a deadlift. It's pretty common for people to have knee issues with the squat but be fine deadlifting.

Bazza, I'd question the first part of that statement, but from that point of view I can understand why you'd claim the second part.

I have always taught a DL start from hips below knees. I've trained extensively with OL'ers who seem to emphasise deep, hips lower than knees, starting position for DL's. Especially a snatch grip allows, or even demands, a deep DL position. I've even known people to stand on blocks so the bar would be a few cm's lower, requiring a deeper DL.

Bazza, I'd question the first part of that statement, but from that point of view I can understand why you'd claim the second part.

I have always taught a DL start from hips below knees. I've trained extensively with OL'ers who seem to emphasise deep, hips lower than knees, starting position for DL's. Especially a snatch grip allows, or even demands, a deep DL position. I've even known people to stand on blocks so the bar would be a few cm's lower, requiring a deeper DL.

Standard deadlifts your hips should not be below the knees, for most people not even close, it's wrong and will just lead to a shitty deadlift. The deadlift is not a reverse squat. Hips below knees puts you in an inefficient position for the deadlift and will mean a lot less weight lifted. The only way hips would get below knees in the deadlift are if you have very sort arms and legs but then you will have shit deadlift anyway.

O lifters sometimes drop down deep before a clean but even they lift there hips as the bar actually leaves the floor. Also hips will likely be a little deeper in a clean than a deadlift anyway.