• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Critiques for my low bar squat, please

Dancelot

I'm giving low bar squat a try. Could I get some critiques for depth, technique etc. please? :) Thanks!

[YOUTUBE]U8onRa5KOlw[/YOUTUBE]

I also switched shoes from Risto weightlifting shoes to Adidas Superstar 2 and my stance is a fair bit wider than when I was high bar squatting.

Less video of you more of the girl squatting next to you.

Oh and your depth was good.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'd say your squatting a few inches high.

Also you're not fully locked out at the top, soft knees, etc... Straighten the knees, hips, stand tall at the top.

I'd recommend elbows forward, down, and under the bar too.

Not too bad, just get a bit deeper.

I believe we have a pic of you wearing one of those waist things.
Posted via Mobile Device

you seem to be in the main gym at melb uni
get into the heavy weights room just around the corner, instead of taking the first left after going down the stairs go straight forward

3 platforms, 3 real squat racks and 2 benches and one ER rack, 9 sets of eleikos, PL and WL bumpers

Open 5-1030 Mon, Thursday, Friday

come by and tell them Minh sent you.

I won't be there for a few weeks as ill be going to Munich, Czech then Sweden, but Dave Jame can give you a hand there
hips need to control the movement
you need to accelerate more as you descend, not the other way around, make the most out of the stretch shortening cycle.

you seem to be in the main gym at melb uni
get into the heavy weights room just around the corner, instead of taking the first left after going down the stairs go straight forward

3 platforms, 3 real squat racks and 2 benches and one ER rack, 9 sets of eleikos, PL and WL bumpers

Open 5-1030 Mon, Thursday, Friday

come by and tell them Minh sent you.

Maybe a gay sauna there too lol

Welcome Minh, good to have you posting on AusBB! Everyone here has good things to say about your service and are recommending your titan soft suits. Good to have you on board.

Cheers,
Mike

Great to see you on here Minh.

Fellas, for all your lifting attire, Minh is the one to contact, dont waste your time with anyone else, I dont.

If he cant get it, it doesnt exist.

I believe we have a pic of you wearing one of those waist things.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sean and I set that pic up lol. It was actually on Minhs stand at the Nats.

I actually own an Inzer belt with a lever. Adam Coe brought it back from the Hawaiian Record Breakers in 1991 I think, its still new. Big Nick wears it now.

Sean and I set that pic up lol. It was actually on Minhs stand at the Nats.

I actually own an Inzer belt with a lever. Adam Coe brought it back from the Hawaiian Record Breakers in 1991 I think, its still new. Big Nick wears it now.

what pic is this

dave, the girls next to my rack are sprinters. I was sharing the rack with a male sprinter who squatted 140 x5x2 and 150 x3x2 with perfect high bar form. The guy is a muscle monster!

Markos, that's a part of my pants. Gym fashion for young people, you wouldn't understand. :p

Thanks Simon. By elbows forward, down and under the bar, you mean my elbows should be perpendicular to the bar and under it, and I can achieve that by pushing my elbows forward more? What does that do to help, btw?

Minh: I actually just joined the club on Monday. Had my first session there and Dave Jame was helping me out too. Top bloke. I didn't train squat there last night as I wanted to record my session to see for myself how my low bar squat is. Thanks for the tips and enjoy Europe!

So to cap, I need to work on:

- More accelerated drop & bounce out of the bottom
- Go deeper
- Get elbows under the bar more
- Full lock out at the top, no soft knees.

Opinions will always vary.
My opinion is always be based on safety, the squat is primarily an exercise, which is also a for better or worse a movement the is used in a sport. The two often become confused.

- More accelerated drop & bounce out of the bottom; a controlled drop...bounce off what?
- Go deeper; while maintaining your backs natural curvature.
- Get elbows under the bar more; engage the lat's.
- Full lock out at the top, no soft knees.
I would caution this practice.
This places undue forces on the knee and lumber, slightly unlocked is the ticket keep constant tension on the musculature around the knee and thigh.

It's quite difficult to "critique" via video, one need to be there, but from where I am you look ok considering the weight you have on your shoulders.

The whack on the back of the head is interesting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Andy.

Bouncing off my stretched PC? As in, smooth drop then accelerated to the bottom and bounce off it?

Regarding the lock out, one reason I'm guessing I didn't get to full lockout in that video is because in the low bar position, it feels like I'm gonna drop the bar if I stand up straight like in high bar.

If full lockout is bad for the knees and lumbars, I can always reserve that just for max effort or comp, and use the slightly unlocked position for training.

In competition, you have to straighten the knees for it to count as legal, right?

That would have been the guy sitting behind you with the big shoulders? The one you can see in the mirror? If it is I noticed he had big delts, but the sprinter girls were more interesting. I think their form needs more of a check you may want to train next to them again and give them a hand. Edit: Literally.

Andy makes good points but it depends if you are in this for long term health or are in it for performance for PL. Other than that laughing man has good points for a power lifting focus.

Last edited:
By elbows down and under the bar, I just mean you should be pushing your elbows as far forward as you can. This does a couple of things, it helps with keeping the chest up, keeps the back tight, and it lowers the bar position, all which make you squat more.

When you do this properly, at first it will feel even more like the bar is going to fall off your back, but you will get used to it.

One thing I noticed though, is I don't think Melbourne Uni lifters are taught this. I personally consider it to be a key part of squatting, and is the thing that has made the single biggest difference to my squatting technique.

I don't believe full lockout is detrimental to the knees or spine, as there's no impact on them, just a weight force - our bodies are designed to support alot of weight in that position, with minimal use of energy, so that we don't use too much energy when standing. Not something I've thought a lot about though to be honest.

I don't believe full lockout is detrimental to the knees or spine, as there's no impact on them, just a weight force - our bodies are designed to support alot of weight in that position, with minimal use of energy, so that we don't use too much energy when standing. Not something I've thought a lot about though to be honest.

The problem here is you have that weight being held by the joint itself instead of the musculature supporting the load. While our joints can take a lot of weight due to being in an optimal position it can add extra wear and tear over the years.

Nice tip about the elbows I am going to use that.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is my latest squat video (of a comp I did on Sunday):

[YOUTUBE]ywZLIo71XQA[/YOUTUBE]

The attempts were: 145, 155, 162.5 (Fail)

I think I screwed up the rhythm in the 162.5 attempt there, and maybe I should've gone for 160 instead of 162.5.

Critiques please? :) Any obvious thing I should fix, or just train harder & get stronger?