• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Cutting up Q's

Aiden3121

Ok guys just a few questions Id like answered please :)

I have been cutting pretty hard for 3 weeks now.
First 2 weeks i did clen and dropped about 4.5kg
My diet is as follows.

2 whole eggs, 8 egg white
150ml milk, 50g WPI protein

atkins diet bar, 12g protein, 2.1g carbs x2

lunch- half coles chicken, can of tuna, 50-100 g of feta

1 porterhouse 350 G steak

Can of chicken 18g protein, 1g carbs.

milk 150ml, 30 WPI protein.

Maybe a sugar free V sometimes in there.

At the moment taking USP labs oxy elite pro, with cissus quad.

So I think my diet is in check, give some adivice on that if you can.

Anyway, with my training I have been sticking to doing 3-4 sets of 6-12 reps, becuase i have heard that doing light wieght does not really mean you are going to get defined.
I do include drop sets and super sets and sometimes some GVT 10x10 on compound movements.

So should i stick to going heavy for my sets ?, cos i really dont want to lose all ym strength like last year when i cut.
P.S i do 40m of cardio every morning. And weights 4times a week.

I will be doing one more cycle on clen latter on in my cut.

Any advice on how to better this cut?

Photos taken 3 weeks in!

P.s thanks to joel on some advice !

Cool thanks for any help guys :)

Attachments

• Photo0778.jpg
    Photo0778.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Photo0763.jpg
    Photo0763.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Photo0773.jpg
    Photo0773.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 141
From the photos it seems like your doing fine.
If it's working don't change anything.

Stay heavy, train as per normal.

How much do you weigh and are you dieting for a comp?

You look great dude - lean as!

In regards to training stay as heavy as possible for aslong as you can - will def help you maintain muscle mass.

Ok guys just a few questions Id like answered please :)

I have been cutting pretty hard for 3 weeks now.
First 2 weeks i did clen and dropped about 4.5kg
My diet is as follows.

Anyway, with my training I have been sticking to doing 3-4 sets of 6-12 reps, becuase i have heard that doing light wieght does not really mean you are going to get defined.
I do include drop sets and super sets and sometimes some GVT 10x10 on compound movements.

So should i stick to going heavy for my sets ?, cos i really dont want to lose all ym strength like last year when i cut.

Photos taken 3 weeks in!

Congrats on the results, you look like you have done well so far.

What are your stats? Age Ht Wt?

One thing I'd like to ask, why are you eating so many 'meals'? (not for flaming reasons) and you do seem to have a low Micronutrient intake from the limited amount of veggies (NONE) in the meal plan.

Stay heavy, train as per normal.

How much do you weigh and are you dieting for a comp?

Atm i wiegh 88-89 kg, and nah im not dieting for a comp, I was planning to do one next year when i have a bit more size. I also have no idea how to get started in that (entry and all that)

Congrats on the results, you look like you have done well so far.

What are your stats? Age Ht Wt?

One thing I'd like to ask, why are you eating so many 'meals'? (not for flaming reasons) and you do seem to have a low Micronutrient intake from the limited amount of veggies (NONE) in the meal plan.

I like to spread out, and mainly cos i have heard to keep my protein levels up through out the day and my metabolism going. I also like to eat :)

I do have vegetables about 3-4 times a week, mainly brocolli,carrot,corn.

Im also 19 y.o at 6ft and 88-89kg

cheers

I like to spread out, and mainly cos i have heard to keep my protein levels up through out the day and my metabolism going. I also like to eat :)

I do have vegetables about 3-4 times a week, mainly brocolli,carrot,corn.

Im also 19 y.o at 6ft and 88-89kg

cheers

Again I don't mean to burst your bubble my friend, but eating regularly does not have an impact on your 'metabolism' or anything else for that matter. Don't get me wrong, you can eat 6 - 8 times a day if you wish but you are eating numerous times a day for the wrong reasons ('getting your metabolism going' and 'keeping your protein levels up').

For many general bodily functions, micronutients are needed within the body and due to the fact you consume veggies only 3-4 times a week you would deficient in a number of micronutrients and not to mention fibre (even though fibre is not an essential nutrient) .

Again I don't mean to burst your bubble my friend, but eating regularly does not have an impact on your 'metabolism' or anything else for that matter. Don't get me wrong, you can eat 6 - 8 times a day if you wish but you are eating numerous times a day for the wrong reasons ('getting your metabolism going' and 'keeping your protein levels up').

For many general bodily functions, micronutients are needed within the body and due to the fact you consume veggies only 3-4 times a week you would deficient in a number of micronutrients and not to mention fibre (even though fibre is not an essential nutrient) .

well then why do all the pros do it like that?
and amatuers?
and even natural bb's ?

Have you seen how much a pro has to eat of clean food? That is one reason and also because people thought it helped your metabolism but it has now been debunked. So if it is hard for you to have 6 smaller meals less is fine you won't go into starvation mode on 3-4 meals a day. Do what suits you best.

If you want to compete at a latter stage you should look at starting to add some more mass now you look ripped and good as you are now, no need to go all out unless you want to test how far you can go.

Also I believe I read you are on clen, be carefull with that it is dangerous and easy to stuff up your dose.

Anyways good luck you look good.

cheers, yeh I just prefer to eat them out like that.

I just really want to push my self to get an idea of how shredded I can get.
I know I probably shouldnt if I wana compete next year, but fuck it I love getting lean.

thanks mate

cheers, yeh I just prefer to eat them out like that.

I just really want to push my self to get an idea of how shredded I can get.
I know I probably shouldnt if I wana compete next year, but fuck it I love getting lean.

thanks mate

Stick with how your planning out your meals mate! :)

well then why do all the pros do it like that?
and amatuers?
and even natural bb's ?
For one, most 'Pro's' (who are using Anabolics) etc have to consume a very large amount of calories, so spreading it out over more meal makes it 'easier' for them to get it all in. Plus they don't have anything better to do to fill in their day!

That doesn't mean everyone needs to or that if offers any metabolic advantages. Which was one of your main reasons for eating in that fashion. Most people seem to think it makes them 'hardcore' etc to be eating so many 'meals' but they fail to actually see what is the contributing factor to dieting results - the macronutrient make up of the diet.

You need to do what suits your schedule, not what suits someone else. Like I've said if you want to eat 6 'little' meals, go for it that's great! I'm simply trying to outline that you don't 'need' to eat that way. Some people prefer to eat less but bigger portioned meals to limit the hunger and feel 'fuller'.

Good luck with the rest of your diet.

Last edited:
For one, most 'Pro's' (who are using Anabolics) etc have to consume a very large amount of calories, so spreading it out over more meal makes it 'easier' for them to get it all in. Plus they don't have anything better to do to fill in their day!

That doesn't mean everyone needs to or that if offers any metabolic advantages. Which was one of your main reasons for eating in that fashion. Most people seem to think it makes them 'hardcore' etc to be eating so many 'meals' but they fail to actually see what is the contributing factor to dieting results - the macronutrient make up of the diet.

You need to do what suits your schedule, not what suits someone else. Like I've said if you want to eat 6 'little' meals, go for it that's great! I'm simply trying to outline that you don't 'need' to eat that way. Some people prefer to eat less but bigger portioned meals to limit the hunger and feel 'fuller'.

Yeh thats cool i Just prefer it like that, and lol yeh they probably dont have too much else to do!

cheers

Yes pros eat 6-10 meals a day coz they got nothing better to do lol.

I can see that your trying to push that you do not have to eat 5,6,7,8 + meals a day but at the end of the day this theory you have needs to be tested over years and years on bodybuilders, powerlifters and athletes...I know its been said that eating many small meals aday has been debunked but I dont think those tests were done on athletes/bodybuilders and powerlifters.

Bodybuilders have been doing this through trail and error since the 30/40's and how we as bodybuilders eat today is what has been proven best to work.

I know you think its "broscience" but really its a science within itself - of course its never going to be truely studied and tested by science because they dont give a shit what bodybuilders do - but it works - simple as that.

Im sorry but I will not be sold on this idea of your way of eating till it has been used by top bodybuilders/powerlifters and athletes over a number of years.

For me, so long as I bracketed my workout with a decent hit of protein, carbs etc. It didn't matter whether I was having 3 bigger meals of 6 smaller ones. Personal preference really, or what works best for you. There's some individual component to it. I have a mate who's badly ecto - needs to eat every 2-3 hours, he's just consistently hungry.

Yes pros eat 6-10 meals a day coz they got nothing better to do lol.

I can see that your trying to push that you do not have to eat 5,6,7,8 + meals a day but at the end of the day this theory you have needs to be tested over years and years on bodybuilders, powerlifters and athletes...I know its been said that eating many small meals aday has been debunked but I dont think those tests were done on athletes/bodybuilders and powerlifters.

Bodybuilders have been doing this through trail and error since the 30/40's and how we as bodybuilders eat today is what has been proven best to work.

I know you think its "broscience" but really its a science within itself - of course its never going to be truely studied and tested by science because they dont give a shit what bodybuilders do - but it works - simple as that.

Im sorry but I will not be sold on this idea of your way of eating till it has been used by top bodybuilders/powerlifters and athletes over a number of years.

Joel, the 'tests' did not need to be tested on athletes or bodybuilders or everyday people. It is basic human physiology on how the TEF works. I'll outline how it works -

Each time you eat, metabolic rate increases slightly for a few hours. Paradoxically, it takes energy to break down and absorb energy. This is the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF). The amount of energy expended is directly proportional to the amount of calories and nutrients consumed in the meal.

Let's assume that we are measuring TEF during 24 hours in a diet of 2700 kcal with 40% protein, 40% carbohydrate and 20% fat. We run three different trials where the only thing we change is the the meal frequency.

A) Three meals: 900 kcal per meal.

B) Six meals: 450 kcal per meal.

C) Nine meals: 300 kcal per meal.

What we'd find is a different pattern in regards to TEF. Example "A" would yield a larger and long lasting boost in metabolic rate that would gradually taper off until the next meal came around; TEF would show a "peak and valley"-pattern. "C" would yield a very weak but consistent boost in metabolic rate; an even pattern. "B" would be somewhere in between.

However, at the end of the 24-hour period, or as long as it would take to assimilate the nutrients, there would be no difference in TEF. The total amount of energy expended by TEF would be identical in each scenario. Meal frequency does not affect total TEF. You cannot "trick" the body in to burning more or less calories by manipulating meal frequency.

Here are a couple studies -

http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/critique-of-issn-position-stand-on-meal.html

Meal Frequency and Energy Balance | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

The thing with 'Bodybuilders' is that they must been seen to be doing everything in extremes to get the extreme 'results' they achieve. How can doing something 'normal' achieve 'extreme' results. Well bodybuilders TRAIN with weights and causes the physical adaptations. The food/ macronutrient intake then is INCREASED to support that. So just because you need to eat more nutrients than the 'average' person, doesn't mean you need to eat more meals (as explained above). If you choose to eat more meals, you can and that is fine. As long as your MACRONUTRIENT is adequate that is all that matters for body composition.

The only 'tests' that need to be applied to 'bodybuilders' etc are for basic amounts of certain Macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates & fats) to support these adaptations and hormonal function. And that is why there has been numerous studies done and is why there is a difference in those amount for inactive population to athletes.

If you wish to continue following the current protocols you are using, that is great. I wish you luck :)

Last edited:

Photos taken 3 weeks in!

If your goals are to cut but not for a show and you don't want to lose muscle mass or strength then keep the following things in mind.

-RDA for carbohydrates is set at 130g per day for adults and children which is based on the average minimum amount of glucose utilised by the brain.
-the liver normally holds 75-100grams of glycogen (studies have shown this cant be halved after 1 hour of aerobic exercise)
-muscle glycogen equals roughly 12 grams per kg of muscle tissue.

by decreasing carbohydrate levels your effectively depleting muscle and liver glycogen which forcing your body to use fat as a fuel (positive). However as time goes on your body will also be breaking down more muscle to make glucose (negative). (Of course these amino acids can come from your diet as well)

Therefore i would personally increase my carbohydrates especially if i noticed considerable losses in strength. increased carbs will at least allow for some liver and muscle glycogen replenishment, improve your mood and should not hinder your fat loss. It is only when you increase carbs so much that it exceeds 130grams (usage by the brain) plus what can be stored in the liver and muscles that it becomes a problem.

This is only a suggestion and if you are happy to do the cut in the way you are currently doing then this is fine.

are you actually doing any carb refeeds?

reference: Williams, M. H., (2010). Nutrition for health fitness and sport...

Last edited: